English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 16 April 2019, 17:15   #41
RomanCro

Where can i see gamplay videos of this games?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 16 April 2019, 17:34   #42
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanCro View Post
Where can i see gamplay videos of this games?
For Rygar check the thread: Discussion: Rygar AGA Edition.

For AMIner check Indie Retro News.

For ModSurfer check the thread: Discussion: ModSurfer or Indie Retro News.

Same deal as above for other games in the competition really... too lazy to post URLs...

Last edited by DamienD; 16 April 2019 at 17:40.
Old 16 April 2019, 20:04   #43
kikems

Congratulations for contest, I agree with results.
Old 16 April 2019, 23:34   #44
LeCaravage

Congrats to all who manage to reach the deadline.
And also congrats to the cool winners.
Old 17 April 2019, 01:02   #45
Marchie

This is cool, congratulations winners.

Is there a place we can see or play the games? (probably an obvious question - sorry)
Old 17 April 2019, 01:13   #46
DamienD
Banned

For more information, see the various threads under the whole Coders. Contest section really

...but if you want links to download / try the games at the time of the EAB competition finish date; then see this thread - 1st post:
Amiga Game Development Contest - Judgment Day
Old 17 April 2019, 09:27   #47
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

By the way. By mistake, on the 'Judgment Day' thread, the link concerning Rygar is pointing to the 'build 0.B (02/03/2019)' version that was released after the dead-line.
If you want to test/judge the Rygar's 'build 0.A (28/02/2019)' version as we did for the compo, use this link instead
Old 17 April 2019, 09:47   #48
RomanCro

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
By the way. By mistake, on the 'Judgment Day' thread, the link concerning Rygar is pointing to the 'build 0.B (02/03/2019)' version that was released after the dead-line.
If you want to test/judge the Rygar's 'build 0.A (28/02/2019)' version as we did for the compo, use this link instead
I think click and point adventure would be great choice for new game challenge. Graphics is not a chellange...good story and we have a winner.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 17 April 2019, 10:37   #49
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
About McGeezer, you totally underestimate the workload for a game like Rygar, even 8 bits.
I have to admit, I was sceptical about whether a conversion could be "original development" enough to make it fair in a competition against other new games, but having followed the development thread I'm completely won over. Not only has it shown the sheer amount of work needed to convert an arcade game to the Amiga faithfully to the original, McGeezer's detailed and honest development notes have been very instructive to anyone else trying to build an Amiga game, which I think was part of the original motivation for the competition in the first place - to spur new development.

Bravo, well done to the winners.
Old 17 April 2019, 16:20   #50
vulture

Congratulations to everyone, I pretty much agree with the results as well.
Old 17 April 2019, 16:38   #51
gulliver
BoingBagged

Congratulations to everyone that participated, and of course to the winners. :-)
Old 17 April 2019, 16:52   #52
Puggsy
Banned

wow what a sore sight to see jojo do what he did here.

Even though I agree that it feels unfair to enter this competition making a clone of an arcade accolade (not taking merit off the Rygar port itself, it's awesome, but I feel like it was unfair competition to 100% user created games, but the lax competition rules allowed it so be it), that is not the way to say things, nor to react, and personally, i will not miss mr jojo after seeing their true colors.
Old 17 April 2019, 17:14   #53
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Congratulations from me also to everyone who participated and helped with this competition. The developers, the judges the people that contributed to the prize, everyone who participated in the discussions and -of course- EAB and for hosting this cool event!

I only hope next time there will be a better handling of length, rules and specifics.
Old 17 April 2019, 21:23   #54
Nightshft

All Valley Karate is a cool game. It has a nice intro screen, music and characters. It's well programmed and runs stable.

But there were also two things that I didnt like that much (I wasnt a judge so this is just my personal opinion). The dojo background picture and the rather slow movement of the characters when fighting. I'd personally like much much more dynamics and speed in their movements.

AVK didn't get into the first three but it got 37.6 points which is respectable.

Rygar on the other hand may have its bugs, but it's also a very difficult and complex task. Its a quite fast paced game and looks promising.

I dont think making a similar copy of an arcade game is an easier task in the most cases. Ok, maybe you can rip some graphics, but recreating the original sound, music, levels, enemies and gameplay can be challenging and hard if you want to come close to the original. Thus I dont understand the point.

I think good arcade ports as well as genuine ideas can become fun games and really hope that both are allowed again in any upcoming competitions!

PS: Just an Idea: Maybe some fixed factors for the judges, like "graphics" "sound" "gameplay" "fun" "project difficulty" "absence of bugs" and so on... An anonymised score grid could be released with the results.

Last edited by Nightshft; 17 April 2019 at 21:23. Reason: typo
Old 17 April 2019, 23:38   #55
Photon

Ooh, interesting I have 2 almost-finished games that I was going to finish and give away when I have time. How do I get an announcement for the next contest?
Old 18 April 2019, 13:52   #56
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
All Valley Karate is a cool game. It has a nice intro screen, music and characters. It's well programmed and runs stable.

But there were also two things that I didnt like that much (I wasnt a judge so this is just my personal opinion). The dojo background picture and the rather slow movement of the characters when fighting. I'd personally like much much more dynamics and speed in their movements.

AVK didn't get into the first three but it got 37.6 points which is respectable.
The other four games all got similar ratings by every judge, but not AVK. It was the most polarizing of the 5 entries: some rated it 8/10, others 4/10.
Old 18 April 2019, 15:03   #57
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I'm saddened though by some of the comments I've received for coming first in the competition... sometimes in the world you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't, but keep this thread Rygar related and anything compo related keep in the other respective threads.
Hi Graeme,

Don't worry about bitter people who are making negative comments.

The competetion rules stated that ports were allowed; nothing more to be said.

You have put sooooo much effort into this; which is an extemely complex / difficult game to get running on an Amiga. The results are almost 100% arcade accurate.

You won the competiton fairly and squarely. I have to agree with the results / positions given by the judges; I came to the same conclusion.

...and me being the biggest prize money contributor by a long shot; am very happy that you received the majority as you clearly deserve it.
Old 18 April 2019, 16:42   #58
spud

Well done McGeezer. I think all the games have their merits, but Rygar was definitely the cream of the crop, despite the bugs and stuff. No doubt in mind, a deserved victory.

I was really looking forward to Pumpkin Bros though so I hope LeCaravage gets his arse into gear and finishes it

Next time there is a competition, all I ask for is more time to complete the project, and I'd possibly prefer an agreed upon target spec, be it standard A500/512/512, or AGA 2MB, or whatever.

As for Jojo's flouncing off, gotta say man: you did it in style.
Old 23 April 2019, 09:22   #59
Marchie

Finally got to play all the entries, great stuff, well done everyone!
Old 09 May 2019, 19:09   #60
mcgeezer

Stick this in your favourite translator...

http://www.xente.mundo-r.com/jojo073/pages/All.html

Jojo73 posted this on Facebook in one of the Amiga groups yesterday.

I don't like being called a cheater (especially when money is involved) so I responded to the post telling him exactly what I think.

And no... this isn't adding fuel on the fire, the guy has had plenty of time to cool off and reflect, after this blog post I've since come to the conclusion that he is simply a cretin who should just fuck off.

A crying shame because the guy is extremely talented.