English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amix

Old 03 September 2015, 17:34   #1
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Amiga Unix manuals

I have just uploaded a PDF version of the "Learning Amiga Unix" manual into the Zone. It's one of the three (?) manuals that came with the original Amix (Installing-, Learning-, Using Amiga Unix) package.

I removed the spiral backing from the book and scanned the pages using an autofeeder copier with scanner option, then I combined it into a PDF file. As this scanner-thingy I used didn't allow making greyscale TIFFs (as I was instructed with other great tips by Kitchen2010, thanks again!) I had to compromise a little on the quality (still using 600dpi full-quality JPG) but I think this looks quite presentable.

I also have the "Using Amiga Unix" manual, but I haven't taken it apart yet.

It seems that the Amigaunix.com -domain name has expired, and that the main site's file galleries are not working. At least the "Using Amiga Unix" manual was available from there, but that one had big www.mmhart.com -watermarks all over it, it was also scanned with the spiral bounding in place so it was not of that good quality.

Do we have some other mirror for these files? Or should those be Zoned aswell?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontCover.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	45306  
Old 03 September 2015, 18:41   #2
mark_k

This is a little off-topic, but for scanning black and white text JPEG is about the worst method you can use.

A much better way (better quality, much smaller file size) is to scan at high resolution (600dpi would be fine) to a 1-bit image. You can then use TIFF G4 compression which is lossless.

If upload a few of your raw (not JPEG compressed) TIFF page scans, I'll convert them to G4 PDF and upload for you to compare the quality/file size.
Old 03 September 2015, 18:54   #3
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

I would have done TIFFs, but the copier I used (not really meant for high-quality scanning) only makes TIFFs in black-and-white-only (which looks horrible). So greyscale JPG was the best choise. Also I did it at work so I couldn't really use *that* much time to do this I was mainly interested in if the autofeed actually works with this kind of manuals (it did, except for the tabbed pages which were too thick).
Old 03 September 2015, 20:52   #4
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga_CDTV View Post
I would have done TIFFs, but the copier I used (not really meant for high-quality scanning) only makes TIFFs in black-and-white-only (which looks horrible).
Black and white TIFFs can actually look great, depending on what viewer program you use. When converted to PDF they look great on-screen in all PDF viewers I have tried. (The viewer renders the high-res black/white image to greyscale on-screen.)
Old 06 September 2015, 07:08   #5
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga_CDTV View Post
I have just uploaded a PDF version of the "Learning Amiga Unix" manual into the Zone. It's one of the three (?) manuals that came with the original Amix (Installing-, Learning-, Using Amiga Unix) package.
Thanks for this. The copy Mark uploaded looked like it was typed by a 9-year-old. There are a lot of spelling mistakes and some of the commands were incorrect.

Quote:
Do we have some other mirror for these files? Or should those be Zoned aswell?
I can upload this to the EAB file server, if I can at all. If you upload to The Zone, it will eventually disappear.