bard´s tale

Old 02 December 2007, 19:52   #262
paranoid
Phone Zen

(re: Dragon's Lair)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbrown View Post

Well it wasn't the game itself but the graffics that got me hooked
Considering the tops of the line in those days was 386 and dos was like comparing a Chevette to a Camero :P
(Jumping in a bit late to the conversation, but hey, this thread is what 6 years old? )

It (and Space Ace) was one of the first I really got to see, too. I don't even remember playing it, but as a game to say "Hey, you're not going to have animation and graphics like this on your old 128. Get an Amiga." it did quite well.

If you're trying to sit down and play a kick ass game, Dragon's Lair can sit at the bottom of the pile, sure, but if you want to show off a bit, it's pretty decent.
Old 03 December 2007, 19:53   #263
Bolch

The first game I started in my Amiga was Lemmings. In fact, my first thought was not about the graphics, the music or even the game itself, but about the SPEED of the computer. I got used on my C64 to the "Load"...wait, read a half book..."Run" routine. I was quite shocked when I just put the disk into my Amiga, and only seconds later I could gasp at the great intro and tune.
That said, while I liked the Lemmings, but I didn't get that "So that's what an Amiga is capable of! Whooahh!" feeling. I didn't feel the wonder.
Then I reset the machine and put in the second game... it was North and South.
THEN I had my first revelation. (Which was followed by many, many more in the following years.)
Old 03 December 2007, 23:13   #264
realstar@shaw.c
realstar

The first Amiga game I ever saw came with the A500 that was given to
me. Namely Wayne Gretzky Hockey. I had a SegaCD at the time and when I
played the opening animation my friend thought it was the SegaCD
because he couldn't believe a computer could produce the animation.
I am not a fan of the game in general but I always remembered
how amazing that intro animation was.
Old 10 December 2007, 15:27   #265
cosmiq

Laundromat: Maniacs of noise did music for onslaught. Indeed: BRILLIANT!

My first game was marble madness. Turrican II came after that! Also : BRILLIANT! This thread gives me beatiful flashbacks.
thx
Old 02 January 2008, 02:17   #266
brankulo

black crypt, it still remains my top amiga game.
Old 03 January 2008, 17:50   #267
k@leid

It was Batman: The Caped Crusader (and on the spectrum 48k too!!!).
Old 04 January 2008, 01:55   #268
klx300r

Cannon Fodder only a few years back
Old 04 January 2008, 02:08   #269
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I got Centurion and Pinball Dreams, and not a single clue which one I've run first on my new A600, back in 1993.
Old 04 January 2008, 12:14   #270
NLS
Ancient User

OK... loooong thread and I haven't contributed. Time to fix this.

I even quote some (old) posts and reply to them (why? It's just me).

The first games I actually saw on Amiga were those... don't remember which booted first, but there you are...

Barbarian (the old Psygnosis version that you stupidly do most things with the mouse, not the one you chop heads), Goldrunner, Marble Madness, Starglider. All looked unbelievable enough to me. No need to say more.

They were on an A1000 that was in a printing shop back in 1987 I think (maybe 1986). They got it instead of payment (!!!) from a customer that couldn't pay them (I suspect the client was the Greek Commodore import company but cannot verify it). I knew about Amiga already as I had a CBM64 for years already and was regularly reading Commodore related press.

Later that year, the computer shop I spent much of my time (from the time I bought my CBM64), got an A500 as a demo. Defender of the Crown and Amegas and Crystal Hammer were commonly playing as demos (along with speech demos, intros and Deluxe Paint). I got to be an Amiga "expert" before I even got my own Amiga. I remember that I sold a few Amigas (even though I wasn't actually WORKING there), just because of the demos, to people that initially came to buy some PC. I remember how easy it was to turn heads from their attention to the salesman trying to sell Amstrad 1512 with stupid GEM (buhahahaha)...

Amiga was my computer dream for some time and if I recall correctly I got my A500 Christmas 1987. Luck stroke me as usual (don't get me started) and my Agnus was messed up and because of holidays I got my A500 replacement after New Year's day.

Then the first games I got for my Amiga (in no specific order) were, Winter Games, Bad Cat (drove me crazy as I couldn't pass a few stages), SDI, Hollywood Poker (ahem), Chessmaster 2000, Test Drive (looked unbelievable back then), Flight Simulator 2, Surgeon, Kickstart II (still great gameplay), Silent Service, Firepower and more...

Ah the times...

Now some replies to old posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
The first was Turrican 2, and just after, The Settlers
or maybe pinball fantaisie ... (who impressed me)

I have forgotten ! Damn I'm too old
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khephren View Post
There sure was a StarGlider 2. It was filled vectors the second time round...still have nightmares about the flying whale LOL
That game RULED! I thought it was huge and close to perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khephren View Post
In the early Amiga years, the Bitmap Brothers releases were benchmarks for quality games. Gods, Xenon 2, Speedball 1 & 2, and others.
I wouldn't say those games were from "early Amiga years".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I remember clearly the day I received my first Amiga - Christmas Day, 1987.
HEY! Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
First thing I saw at a fair was a rendered animation demo of 4 balls hanging on a wire where outer left kicks outer right outwards and other way around (you know, this funny effect)

First thing I touched was the mouse to play around in SONIX (sound program), not realizing:

1) how a mouse worked (was at end of desk and couldn't move pointer further, dumb me!!)
2) the music playing was the background music in the hall of the computer fair!

I was a good C64 artist/hacker/player/swapper for about 4 years 1984-1988 but the day late 1987 (in december, around christmas) some guys at my computer club (old C64 friends, then PC guys, quickly sold their AT PC for an A500!) walked in the club to swap some games, thus they brought along a 500 for copying.

First thing I witnessed... TECH TECH, a demo by SODAN (old C64 group). Still got that demo... INCREDIBLE! Vector graphics, stereo sound, sampled Depeche mode, vectors, scrolling and the blonde babe of Defender of the Crown but with naked t*ts!
(still got it, but only worked on kickstart 1.2)

Then I saw MARAUDER copier, a very colourful copier with nice animations. "White Lightning" was another copier I saw a lot, but boring blue/black

First games I played when I had my machine 6 months later, hot summer of 88 (all 'donated' by the friends)

Firepower (absolutely awesome sounds, great fun,even through modem! replaced later samples with better hiQ ones, even more fun!!!)
JUGGLER DEMO (rendered 3D, whoa!)
The Jet (sublogic)
Dark Castle (cool one)
Defender of the crown
Faerytale adventure (very addictive)
Shanghai (houuuuuuuuuuurs with this one)
Test Drive 1
Sinbad & the throne of the falcon (never succeeded in completing this marvel of Cinemaware!)
Starglider 1
The Surgeon (text only, but with speech, hilarious shrink answering your questions!!)

more things a few weeks later (I was in the swapper world
F/A 18 interceptor (with extra 512KB had TOPGUN sound intro)
Xenon 1
Gee bee Air rally
King of Chicago
Star Wars 1
Arkanoid (!!!)
Great Giana Sisters (with a magnificient Lightforce cracker group intro, superb stereo tune with smooth dwirling stars)
Barabarian 1 (Palace version, excellent chopping)
Styx
Sidewinder (!!)
Pink Panther
Karate Kid II

ahhhh, those were the days... as soon as I got so many hacked games every week fun & interest was lost, and switched to an A4000/040 to do more serious stuff. Still got it now!, with 060, 146MB of mem, 3 hds, SCSI, 2 HD flops, jaz, 2 audiocards, PIV, burner etc, but not using it alot anymore. Also kept my A500, can't sell it, too much good memories of it.

my faves to name a few (all older stuff, never liked the post A600 era ones):
Firepower, F18 interceptor, Faerytale adventure, IK+ (yiehaa), Arkanoid, all non-sports cinemaware games (defender ot crown, sinbad, wings, rocket ranger, came from desert, king of chicago etc), Hybris, Buggy Boy, Starglider 2, Stunt car racer, F16 Falcon, Prison, Bermuda Triangle Adventure, Sword of Sodan, Bubble Bobble, Barbarian, Sidewinder, Ghosts N Goblins, Battle Island, Soundtracker (music) ...

Those early (Belgian & German) groups like:
BAMIGA SECTOR ONE/THE KENT TEAM (BS1-TKT) (BEL)
STAR FRONTIERS (SF) (GER)
BITSTOPPERS (BST) (GER)
THE MOVERS (UK)
LIGHTFORCE (TLF) (GER)
RANDOM ACCESS (NL)
ALPHA FLIGHT 1970 (AFL) (GER)
HOTLINE (HTL) (NL)
DEFJAM (ITA)
ACKERLIGHT (BEL)

...their names make me feel so nostalgic & melancholic...
I feel the urge to quote your whole post. I could have written most of it. So many things we did in parallel.

I loved that early render. I loved Sonix and used to try and create music with it. Remember Marauder and White Lightning (and CLIMate). Got almost the same games with you that summer. (I left some out of my list so to not repeat them). I also got an A4000/040 later and upgraded it a quite a bit. I still have my A500 (one of my later A500 in fact) and my A4000 (and my CBM64). I loved the groups you mentioned (GREAT intros)...

Ah the days...
Old 27 January 2008, 13:31   #271
Paulisse

Defender of the Crown on a 2-pages ad in a videogame magazine (Tilt) in 1987. I was 12 at the time and very impressed (Cinemaware wasn't usurping its name!).

Old 27 January 2008, 19:29   #272
scifi
Resurrected...

Hooooo

My God!!! The same thing has happened to me the same period of time!!!

I guess that it might had been a malfunctioned batch of Amigas here in Greece!
However, the feeling of having your dream machine for Christmas present was a sentiment that I won't forget. And then came the crash down (red screen...) and I had to wait to replace my dream machine after New Year's Day, too!

So, I understand the feeling that you might have felt my friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Amiga was my computer dream for some time and if I recall correctly I got my A500 Christmas 1987. Luck stroke me as usual (don't get me started) and my Agnus was messed up and because of holidays I got my A500 replacement after New Year's day.
Old 27 January 2008, 19:50   #273
DoogUK
Doogster

Being a bit of a late developer......it was Premier manager 2 and pinball dreams on an A600 round a friends house......i scanned the local ads there and then looking for an Amiga.
My friend also had a CB radio on in the background and what should happen?
Someone advertises for sale on the 19 an amiga 500 and within the hours i was playing superfrog on my very own first amiga!
Fond memories.......
Old 27 January 2008, 19:58   #274
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifi View Post
My God!!! The same thing has happened to me the same period of time!!!

I guess that it might had been a malfunctioned batch of Amigas here in Greece!
However, the feeling of having your dream machine for Christmas present was a sentiment that I won't forget. And then came the crash down (red screen...) and I had to wait to replace my dream machine after New Year's Day, too!

So, I understand the feeling that you might have felt my friend...
Hello patrioti.

Well actually my Amiga problem was different. There was a thick vertical line in the screen constantly and the rest of the machine was working ok! Now it is a matter of how you look at it, if my problem or your problem was worse. Switching it on and getting red screen or SEEING the machine work (and seeing what you could actually have) but having this terrible graphics problem.

In any case, great feeling to have those two boxes under the tree, bad feeling to discover the machine is broken, terrible feeling to find out that Memox wouldn't do anything for about ten days (i.e. the whole holidays)...
Old 27 January 2008, 20:31   #275
scifi
Resurrected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
In any case, great feeling to have those two boxes under the tree, bad feeling to discover the machine is broken, terrible feeling to find out that Memox wouldn't do anything for about ten days (i.e. the whole holidays)...
Hi patrioti,

It's good to talk to people from Greece... cause we're all friends here!
Are you from Athens?

Back to the topic... Memox... I remember the gatherings where everyone was coming with their machines to play Kick Off...

Speaking of gatherings did you know that there's an active club of Amiga funs here in Athens? I found out about it in dte Expo 2007 where they had a stand displaying the history of Home Computers from C64 & VIC to Amiga4000...
Old 27 January 2008, 20:43   #276
NLS
Ancient User

I am from Piraeus.

Yes, I remember the gatherings and Commodore shows.

Yes I know about the club and did see the stand in DTE (in fact as I was an exhibitor there, I visited the stand everyday).

There was no A4000 there (I would know since there is one in my closet), you probably mixed it up with the C128D.

Let's make our country presence here stronger. (there was a HUGE Amiga community back in the 80ies/90ies in Greece...)
Old 02 February 2008, 19:43   #277
DigitalQuirk

My A500 was one of the first ones; with Kickstart V1.2, so I didn't get anything "Bundled" except for Workbench and Extras. The first games I bought for it were from Sega, and were Space Harrier and Super Hang On. I cannot remember which one I bought first, but I suspect it was Space Harrier. I bought them because these were my favourites in the arcade. I was impressed with how close these two were to the arcade originals.
Old 02 February 2008, 22:26   #278
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

First Amiga Game I ever seen was Sword of Sodan
Old 02 February 2008, 23:21   #279
NLS
Ancient User

...newbie
Old 02 February 2008, 23:44   #280
Monsterland

First game I ever saw was the demo of F-18 Interceptor somewhere at the electronic department of a big warehouse over here in Holland, I couldn't stop watching at the plane flying under the bridge that everyone seems to know over here

The moment I wanted an Amiga I was already owning a rather expensive pc, my family where all like "Yes this Amiga seems to have good graphics and all that but this pc will be the future!". I had a crappy XT pc with hercules like graphics and monochrome screen. I didn't listen and traded my pc for a complete amiga 500, the first game I played on it was Anco's XR-35 Fighter Mission, I got it with it together with Platoon which I remember was insanely hard.

Good times!