English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 January 2015, 10:28   #121
Ikilledher

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
Forgive my jadedness, but it sounds like just enough of a tease to keep some hopes alive.
I might agree if this was a commercial endeavour – they would probably be out of business by now. However, given the fact that these guys must be building it out of interest and for the fun of it, I rather give it my support. It would be nice if they succeed in bringing it to market, don’t you think? I won’t consider it a failure if it took them forever.* I have high hopes we’ll get to see a flawless working version of the UltimatePPC card at the event.

*As long as the 1541 Ultimate-IIs keep coming.
Old 22 January 2015, 10:41   #122
fryguy

Not sure who this card is made for though. OS4 users are probably better of buying a Sam, and a 040 is a bit slow for "classic" users. I guess it won't be cheap..
Old 22 January 2015, 16:47   #123
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
On the "Amiga: 30 years" facebook page you can read:

"Remember the UltimatePPC? Nay-sayers said is was dead, some even said is was vapour. Now, come to Amiga: 30 Years and be proven wrong. Talk to the developers, look at the card, touch it, smell it. It's real and it's there. Find out about the status, how far they have come, what the plans are and what has changed and why. It doesn't get more real than this!

http://www.ultimateppc.nl/"
Can someone post the details of this for those of us who haven't been assimilated by Facebook?
Old 22 January 2015, 17:17   #124
UberFreak

@fryguy

Agreed, no 060 means no sale for me.
Personally, I could care less for the PPC side, I prefer a very fast 68k based CPU.

In this regard, FPGA accelerators seem to be the future.
Old 22 January 2015, 17:22   #125
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

I wouldn't mind a board with an empty 040/060 socket - just leave the option there for users to buy one along with the board, instead of soldering it down
Old 30 January 2015, 17:05   #126
8bitbubsy

Yet another ambitious Amiga project that probably takes too much time and resources to be completed. I'm getting tired of all the teasing, for something that most likely ends up being dead like Natami. Yawn!
Old 30 January 2015, 20:09   #127
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Just because the Natami team split into two factions that only cooperate at length doesn't mean that it's dead...
Old 31 January 2015, 01:06   #128
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

^^^^^
I hope apollo bears fruit. I really do.
I see a worrying trend of there being alot of apollo team members though...Are they all skilled enough to be able to really contribute to developement? There was alot of natami guys too once upon a time...but now many have quietly slipped into obscurity.

Still I hope apollo works out as I want one for my a500 and it would inject a much needed vitality into the older amigas.
Old 31 January 2015, 06:09   #129
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

As soon as it comes out, I want Toni Wilen to implement this in WinUAE.

NOT!
Old 31 January 2015, 14:41   #130
BigFan

The "always full citing" aros apostles, capturing and derailing the threads previously, left the scene (heaven thanks).
Now the fpga apostles pop in.
Thank you, NOT!

I'm afraid, the "ultimateppc" demo board will be the only one ever finished. Qoric makes no sense, vga+network+usb is hanging by the strings.
Replacing the ppc with different model would require a new board layout.

@brett71

There are no news on fb. Same pictures, same announcement, same hopes and dreams.
Old 13 February 2015, 15:35   #131
Amiga1992

http://amiga30.eu/

This event will have the Ultimate PPC team revealing the card, it seems. The tagline is "vapourware status debunked!"

Perhaps people can stop being sour grapes and talking shit that puts developers off, wait and see what Gideon has come up with.
Old 03 March 2015, 08:22   #132
lurch

Sounds great :-) Always like new hardware. Iwould love to have a faster 060 based board though, not too worried about PPC.
I guess it depends on cost at the end of the day.
Old 03 March 2015, 14:14   #133
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
http://amiga30.eu/

This event will have the Ultimate PPC team revealing the card, it seems. The tagline is "vapourware status debunked!"

Perhaps people can stop being sour grapes and talking shit that puts developers off, wait and see what Gideon has come up with.
I always wish them best, but sour grapes somewhat came from the fact that developers didn't really communicate anything (besides "we're working on it" since 2012).

Potential customers are afraid of vapour after so many failed projects. Of course it is not the developers fault (after all it is not their projects that failed previously), but some of that "talking shit" could be avoided with better communication! It's important to let people know how things are progressing, once you announce something.
Old 13 April 2015, 13:42   #134
spudje

The event can't come soon enough. I want to make up my mind buying this too good to be true "work of wonder" or look for a CyberstormPPC.
Old 13 April 2015, 18:02   #135
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
I always wish them best, but sour grapes somewhat came from the fact that developers didn't really communicate anything (besides "we're working on it" since 2012).
But they are in no obligation of saying anything. It's not like they took preorders and people's money. They just mentioned they were working on something and people should be really patient and wait to see what happens before even saying "it's vapourware".

Perhaps Gideon's mistake is saying anything at all before they had a working prototype. They didn't take into account people's zealotry regarding these matters.

Personally I don't care about PPC but if I was one of those who do I'd be happy that anyone is even considering working on a peripheral like this, made for such a niche group, and would cut the developers A LOT of slack.
Old 22 April 2015, 00:11   #136
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

We're Amigans I'd say, we'd learn to wait for years... Over the years... for the next few years... When a project is done...
I believe years ago I was much more embarrassed when had to wait for something, now I'm just curious.
On the other hand since I have an Apollo 4040 in one of my A4000s I realized that in a good environment a 040 also could fly.
Old 24 April 2015, 01:12   #137
JimDrew

Ugh.. PPC is horrible.
Old 25 June 2015, 17:09   #138
spudje

Ultimate PPC cancelled for Amiga30...
I guess we can now say "vapourware status confirmed!"

Guess I'll have to save for a Cyberstorm PPC anyway
Old 25 June 2015, 17:14   #139
Amiga1992

For Gideon's sake I do hope he really canned the project. I would do it after seeing the ridiculous reaction of the very people that are supposed to support your project.
Old 25 June 2015, 17:19   #140
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i know i've said this before but there already exists a ubiquitous and relatively cheap and high-performance PowerPC machine in the form of the XBox 360. Apparently it is possible to hack them to install Linux on it. So why not AROS or AmigaOS 4?