English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 November 2008, 13:50   #1
jharrison

lets pinpoint the downfall of the "closet arcade"

specifically places like Fun N Games or Aladdin's Castlewhen was the last you saw one?any notable experiences? (not limited to any involving old creepy guy attendants)really, how long were the lines for double dragon?
Old 21 November 2008, 14:30   #2
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

I grew up in Hervey Bay in Qld where we had 2 major opposing machine purveyors - the local 4-Square convenience store which had Double Dragon, and a machine with both SMB and Rygar, and Haddow's Fun Parlour where my brother and I probably spent at least $20 a week back in the 80's. Considering most games only cost 20 or 40 cents to play it was a lot of game time! Always huge queues for Double Dragon and SMB, the parlour had some great old pinball machines like Firepower and it also had pne of those 30m long slot-car tracks with 8 cars running at the same time. Of course they never all ran at the same time because their power board wasn't set up to handle the wattage! Then came Mini Golf which introduced Op Wolf (God I loved that game) and the full sit-down version of Star Wars. Aaah, good times, good times...
Old 21 November 2008, 14:34   #3
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

They all closed down within about 2 years of each other, that was around 2000 or so I guess when consoles came out and many conversions were just so similar to the arcade originals.
Old 21 November 2008, 15:02   #4
Marcuz

in my town? something like that? 1982...
Old 21 November 2008, 15:44   #5
DH
Global Moderator

At 14yrs old I went to a place called 'Jacks Amusements'. Loads of arcade machines and girls, Yep! I said GIRLS!

I'm not sure what I was more interested in at the time, but the girls were always asking for money to play games, the good thing about that was, usually I was already midway through Defender, Pengo, Plaedes or Galaxians etc, and they would help themselves in my pockets for the money Obviously I would direct them to the pocket that had no money in first Great eh!

Alas the place went stupid, 'cause it was not that big, and the owner brought in a full size Snooker table and removed loads of arcade machines, the best ones too

So me 'n' my chums left in disgust and never returned. They lost business and shortly after closed with a massive loss and loads of debt

Don't know what it is now but the last time I passed, in 2002, it was 'Nobles Amusements' (slot machines not arcade games) but I think this has closed too, due to lack of business.
Old 21 November 2008, 16:05   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The place with the best arcades in my town was 'Wolly's Grillroom' I remember playing Golden Axe, Outrun and Ikari Warriors. Many coins from my pocket money wasted on these games In 1993/4 they closed the place They also had awesome chips (cheers Charlie )
Old 21 November 2008, 21:43   #7
jharrison

i tell you what i miss.....those lovely opening chimes to the dungeon level for RASTAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!to this day, still the most bitchin, dramatic theme music that ever graced my ears. i swear those uprights must have been cranked to 11, deservingly.
Old 21 November 2008, 23:54   #8
humble worm

The only place with arcades in my town was a wagon standing in the middle of muddy square... it was called "saloon"... and there were no girls, only bully boys who were always asking for your coins and would even help themselves in your pockets for it
they had some crappy games +an isometric space shooter which was my fav (dont remember the name, there is C64 version). for the reasons mentioned above I prefered to go there with at least 2 friends . it existed quite short time but i never missed it
Old 24 November 2008, 22:56   #9
DamienD
Banned

There used to be a video shop about 15 minutes walk from my house. They had about 4 arcade cabinets that were updated with new games every month or so. Used to go down there with my brother most days and have a bash.

About 20 minutes car ride away was a local bowling centre. Here there were about 40 arcade cabinets.

Also used to go into the city where there were many places in George St that had loads and loads of arcade cabinets

Guess I went to all of the above from the age of 8 (with my father / brother) until about 16. Haven't mentioned any of the games I played as there were way too many

@jharrison: yeah Rastan has a wicked soundtrack
Old 25 November 2008, 15:45   #10
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
.... and there were no girls, only bully boys who were always asking for your coins and would even help themselves in your pockets for it
What 'n' you let them. I only let the girls do that 'cause I got something out of it too, whoooohahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Edit: BTW. I wish it was still open Lost loads of friends when we left, especially the female type

Last edited by DH; 25 November 2008 at 15:55.
Old 25 November 2008, 19:51   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
What 'n' you let them.
He doesn't have the metal head tag like you do, DH. We are not all born to be bad boys!
Old 25 November 2008, 19:52   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
He doesn't have the metal head tag like you do, DH. We are not all born to be bad boys!
He doesn't? Well then have a closer look
Old 25 November 2008, 20:03   #13
DH
Global Moderator

@Gimbal
Hahahah! It might be hard to find or to see, but it's definitely there mate!

Like TCD said, take a closer look
Old 25 November 2008, 20:52   #14
humble worm

LOL
@DH - just a travesty of your words, silly
Old 25 November 2008, 22:15   #15
spiff
Oh noes!

The only thing we have left here are the f*ckin poker machines..

Arcade games made ppl active and happy, poker machines just makes drunk ppl broke. Guess what makes the most money?
Old 25 November 2008, 22:26   #16
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
...poker machines just makes drunk ppl broke...
Don't forget, it makes them sober too
Old 26 November 2008, 08:38   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
@Gimbal
Hahahah! It might be hard to find or to see, but it's definitely there mate!

Like TCD said, take a closer look
All I see is a red head, that is not the tag.
Old 26 November 2008, 10:28   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
It's the supa-dupa red skull badge version

I also loved playing pinball tables in these 'arcade hideouts' I remember the Star Wars and Indiana Jones tables pretty well (the place seemed to have a deal with George ).

About the Poker machines : It's a shame that these are the only 'survivors'... Guess it's also because the arcade machines must have real astounding graphics and sound to match with the new console and PC games, so people would pay for them on a 'per play' basis. Seems online games with a monthly fee are the replacement for them
Old 26 November 2008, 10:48   #19
humble worm

Quote:
picky gimby

never liked pinballs, one-arm bandits and stuff
Old 26 November 2008, 11:55   #20
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
It appears that humble worm is using a custom made badge Looks nice and is quite cool too. Maybe we should all have one, Humble worm