English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 16 June 2009, 23:32   #1
stevecole

Help needed with Amiga 1200, CF IDE hdd and WINUAE...

hello.

OK, since my last posts a month or so ago I havenj't had much time to do much with my 1200. Boo! Also, I've misplaced the CF card I was using to transfer files between my PC and Amiga via PCMCIA. And the 2 other CF cards I have don't seem to be compatible (they don't appear on the desktop when I plug them in the PCMCIA adapter!).

Anyway... my setup includes a CF HDD which is sticking out the back of the case, as below:

I need some pointers on taking out that hdd CF cardm, inserting it into my USB card reader on my PC and getting files across to it, prefarably in the right place. I have WinUAE but am pretty novice at it. I undersatnd that I can mount that drive in winuae and have it running same as my real 1200? So any changes I make to it there will be identical back on my machine???

Here's what the contents of the hdd look like:

Where should I be putting stuff????

Cheers!

Steve
Old 16 June 2009, 23:41   #2
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

I have a similar setup... You ar correct - you can simply mount that drive in WinUAE and it will act exactly as it does on your real Amiga.

You could create a number of drawers to put stuff in - the Amiga is pretty flexible and you can put most things pretty much where you want them.

If you want a structured WB, it might be worth having a look at the excellent ClassicWB to see how things are done - even going so far as installing it on your CF card if you have some extra memory!

Also there have been a couple of threads on EAB lately about setting up CF cards to use on the PCMCIA port. You need these packages and you can use a Windows formatted card directly on your Amiga.

Quote:
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/cfd - Compact Flash drivers

and

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fat95 - Fat95 drivers (for the FAT16 support)

Last edited by Rabbit80; 16 June 2009 at 23:47.
Old 16 June 2009, 23:44   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Is the CF card the only hard drive? Or does it have another one inside?

Quote:
I undersatnd that I can mount that drive in winuae and have it running same as my real 1200? So any changes I make to it there will be identical back on my machine???
Yes that is true. HOWEVER if you install FAT95 (and do some partitioning) you don't need WinUAE.
Old 16 June 2009, 23:46   #4
Anemos
70X7

ClassicWB ,you will love it
http://pspemulation.condor.serverpro...hots/AMI14.jpg
Old 17 June 2009, 00:01   #5
stevecole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
I have a similar setup... You ar correct - you can simply mount that drive in WinUAE and it will act exactly as it does on your real Amiga.
Hmmm... I'm struggling. WinUAE sees the CF card, mounts it but when I start the emulation nowt happens.

Any ideas?
Old 17 June 2009, 00:08   #6
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Have you got WinUAE set up correctly - ie have you got the ROMs installed etc?

Choose quickstart A1200 config, then go into RAM and give it either some fast or Z3 Fast. Then go to Hard drives, press Add Hard Drive and select your CF card - the entry should start RDB ...

Then you can go and save your config in configurations before you click start.
Old 17 June 2009, 00:11   #7
stevecole

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Is the CF card the only hard drive? Or does it have another one inside?

Yes that is true. HOWEVER if you install FAT95 (and do some partitioning) you don't need WinUAE.

Yup, CF is only hard drive.

I'm wary about doing much tinkering with what's already on there lest I balls it up and have toi start from scratch... How can I tell if FAT95 is already installed?
Old 17 June 2009, 00:12   #8
stevecole

Quote:
Have you got WinUAE set up correctly - ie have you got the ROMs installed etc?

Choose quickstart A1200 config, then go into RAM and give it either some fast or Z3 Fast. Then go to Hard drives, press Add Hard Drive and select your CF card - the entry should start RDB ...

Then you can go and save your config in configurations before you click start.
Yup, done all that. Except I only have a 3.1 ROm on my PC. The real Amiga is 3.0. Is that an issue?

An error I just got was (along the lines of) "Cannot load atapi.device". What's it trying to do? I think that's the CD drive???
Old 17 June 2009, 00:15   #9
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

If you can get it to work in WinUAE then you can easily back it up There is no risk if you don't tick the read/write box
Old 17 June 2009, 00:19   #10
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecole View Post
Yup, done all that. Except I only have a 3.1 ROm on my PC. The real Amiga is 3.0. Is that an issue?

An error I just got was (along the lines of) "Cannot load atapi.device". What's it trying to do? I think that's the CD drive???
Did you tick the Include DVD/CD box on the hard drives screen - if so then untick it... ROMs should be no problem
Old 17 June 2009, 00:27   #11
stevecole

Quote:
Did you tick the Include DVD/CD box on the hard drives screen - if so then untick it... ROMs should be no problem
Nope, not ticked.

:-/
Old 17 June 2009, 00:38   #12
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

It's maybe something to do with IDEFix97 - which I have no idea of

Try ticking the uaescsi.device on misc. screen? and enabling CD/DVD?