English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 September 2019, 15:05   #1
Transactor

Looking for some help - with apologies

i apologise for infiltrating such a worthy group, but as a former editor of Transactor for the Amiga U.K. edition and someone who was peripherally involved with the Amiga before it was announced, I'm looking for a bit of help.

One of the very active writers on Commodore computers, and a dear friend, Betty Clay, passed away earlier this year and her family have found one disk that appears to have some personal information on it (the others were Fish disks and similar collections).

I no longer have my Amiga kit but wondered if anyone with a working system could extract any files for them/me. I could try and build a drive myself with Arduino or RPi, but that's fraught with problems, especially as there may be nothing but I'd like to do this for them.

I'm currently in the US but will be back in the U.K. next week. So can mail from either.

Thanks in advance - and again apologies for infiltrating

Mike Todd
Old 04 September 2019, 15:08   #2
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transactor View Post
i apologise for infiltrating such a worthy group, but as a former editor of Transactor for the Amiga U.K. edition and someone who was peripherally involved with the Amiga before it was announced, I'm looking for a bit of help.

One of the very active writers on Commodore computers, and a dear friend, Betty Clay, passed away earlier this year and her family have found one disk that appears to have some personal information on it (the others were Fish disks and similar collections).

I no longer have my Amiga kit but wondered if anyone with a working system could extract any files for them/me. I could try and build a drive myself with Arduino or RPi, but that's fraught with problems, especially as there may be nothing but I'd like to do this for them.

I'm currently in the US but will be back in the U.K. next week. So can mail from either.

Mike Todd
Im in Nottingham uk and could help.
Old 04 September 2019, 16:01   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:

Mike Todd
Which part of the UK are you returning to?

Lots of UK guys on here with functional Amigas
Old 04 September 2019, 16:10   #4
Transactor

Thanks for such a quick response, Mark. I live in Rothbury, Northumberland and will be back there next week so can post it to you then. Will continue in a PM.
Old 04 September 2019, 16:12   #5
Transactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Which part of the UK are you returning to?

Lots of UK guys on here with functional Amigas
Thanks - I live in deepest Northumberland. I always knew the UKmwas an Amiga hotbed. Thanks - will see how things work out with Mark
Old 04 September 2019, 17:51   #6
str0m

I don't currently own an Amiga but just posting to say nice place, I was walking up Simonside last week, live Bedlington way There will be lots of people who can help access your disk, might be something on the others ie if the disks had been re-used but labels not changed.
Old 04 September 2019, 18:27   #7
Transactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
I don't currently own an Amiga but just posting to say nice place, I was walking up Simonside last week, live Bedlington way There will be lots of people who can help access your disk, might be something on the others ie if the disks had been re-used but labels not changed.
Yes, it is a nice area (used to work in central London but retired here)

Knowing Betty I doubt the Fish disks ** were ever overwritten - but the family no longer has them. Nit sure if I still have all of mine.

** I wonder how many people remember the Fish disks - or Transactor for that matter - or ICPUG
Old 04 September 2019, 19:19   #8
DamienD
Banned

Heya Transactor,

Welcome to EAB

Quote:
** I wonder how many people remember the Fish disks - or Transactor for that matter - or ICPUG
Oh we all remember Fish disks

You can grab a load of them here from the "EAB File Server":
/Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC/TOSEC [2016-01-03]/Commodore Amiga - Collections - Fred Fish (TOSEC-v2014-10-07_CM)
Old 04 September 2019, 19:35   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Welcome to EAB.

I never heard of Transactor, just checked couple of issues and couple of papers with Betty's name on them after I've read this post this morning. It seems quite quality and technical mags. Always sad to hear someone passed away, even if you did not know the person.

Just as DamienD has already said, Fred's collection is still around for everyone to check. Funny, just this week I went through first 5 disks checking some code and examples.

Last edited by Anubis; 04 September 2019 at 19:43.
Old 04 September 2019, 21:34   #10
Transactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Welcome to EAB.

I never heard of Transactor, just checked couple of issues and couple of papers with Betty's name on them after I've read this post this morning. It seems quite quality
The mag was initially published in Toronto, then I was asked if I'd edit a UK version. Eventually, the Toronto side folded, but we continued for a year or so producing a full edition in the U.K.- and all the time doing a full time job.

I could bore for England on Commodore and the Amiga!
Old 06 September 2019, 12:47   #11
NorthWay

Transactor (how do I know if I had the UK or Canada editions?) was possibly the best Amiga magazine there was.
It was never available at the newsagents here, but my local Amiga shop had it.