English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 August 2019, 04:32   #21
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Did you ever play Batman The Caped Crusader? That was far superior to Batman The Movie, in my opinion.
Nup never played it.

The Batman the Movie was the only one i had, and for me, it was all about level 2.

OMG the music for that level, and the driving of THAT version of the Batmobile.....was just EPIC

I'd often just pause and listen to the music.
Old 27 August 2019, 15:02   #22
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Anyone remembers FTP servers and leaching to complete MAME sets?
Old 29 August 2019, 20:28   #23
xubidoo

Amiga emulation , i tried it briefly in the early 2000s , and quickly gave up , as at the time it was a lot harder to setup then , seems much easier now.

Zsnes emulator was the 1st emu i got working well to play Super Nintendo games,so i was well happy with that.
Sega Megadrive was next on the list, my friends were at the time all amazed that i could play snes and megadrive games on my pc lol , something that no-one thinks twice about anymore.
If anything playing them on your PC is a bit outdated, with all the options available these days.

Old 29 August 2019, 21:27   #24
deicidal
Registered Insane

Is that long ago I was still at Uni and Winuae was command line driven only, i remember making some bat files that way my gf at the time could play space crusade on my 486. I also remember been quite disapointed with the speed of the unix one when I ran it on one of the SGI machines at Uni

Last edited by deicidal; 29 August 2019 at 21:43.
Old 30 August 2019, 16:26   #25
Dan

I heard of emulators on the C64. With my C128d came a lot of diskettes, and on one of them was a pet "basic" emulator.

Then there were some joke progs, on the c64 'emulating" the amiga startup sequence with gury meditation ^^;

My first emulator on the Amiga was either the Spectrum (came on a cover disk) or The A C64.

My first emulator on the PC was a C64 emulator, following with many other emulators, and a "Fake" Amiga 500 emulator (mentioned earlier in this thread) with not so fake kickstart 1.3 in it (iv used a hex editor to cut out the kickstart rom code from it, and tested it in winuae).
Edit: Thinking more about it, it probably lacked proper Instructions on how to use it. I still have that CD rom here.

My first Amiga emulator was probably the U(nusable)AE arround v0.8, i started the Workbench and tried the Say program, and it worked !

And the rest is history.
Old 30 August 2019, 17:08   #26
Dunny

My first emulation experience was with Transformer on the A1000, which was a pretty poor experience although it did run my copy of Jacaranda Jim very well indeed - and that was all I needed it to do. I didn't understand what emulation actually was at that point.

And because I wanted to code, but only had Amiga BASIC (which was bloody awful), I tended to use an old BBC emulator for that. AMOS wouldn't come along until much, much later.

Then I emulated the Spectrum with ZXAM which was... tolerable, loading games via sound sampler. Moving to the PC many years later, I went back to the Amiga via DOS Fellow, followed by WinUAE.

And after that, I started writing my own emulators, though I've not really had any interest in tackling the Amiga, as WinUAE and FS-UAE have that area pertty much sewn up already.
Old 31 August 2019, 17:46   #27
Photon

Late 2004 I joined EAB and learned how to set up WinUAE. I got my old A500 out a few months later and repaired it, attached a Zip Drive, etc.

I think for me, only EAB and WinUAE made Amiga possible. So I owe both a big thanks.
Old 31 August 2019, 17:54   #28
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
i think for me, only eab and winuae made amiga possible. So i owe both a big thanks.
+1
Old 31 August 2019, 18:52   #29
chip

I don't remember exactly when i joined (something like 2004 i guess) to eab

But one thing is sure: ALL things i learned about Amiga emulation i learned thanks to the eab guys

That's a fact, so thanks to all here in this wonderful forum
Old 03 September 2019, 14:35   #30
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Chip, your user name shows Join Date as Oct. 2012.

Either you had different user name or each day with DamienDoubleD seems like a year.

Trying to remember german site that had Arcade games download - kult power or something like that.
Old 03 September 2019, 14:43   #31
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Chip, your user name shows Join Date as Oct. 2012.
chip used to be known as "Another World", and before that "fuglebad"
Old 03 September 2019, 14:48   #32
chip

As DamienD said i was registered before my actual nick with other nicks

I guess 3 in total (krishnamurti, fuglebad, Another World), this is the 4th one

Last edited by chip; 04 September 2019 at 03:16.
Old 03 September 2019, 21:16   #33
Anubis
Retro Gamer

And you are 100% sure it is not that each day with DoubleD moderator is not like a year long?! (just hard to believe that is not real issue here )

Didn't know that. I remember 'Another World' user id.

Last edited by Anubis; 03 September 2019 at 21:29.
Old 03 September 2019, 21:41   #34
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

My first emulator on the Amiga was either the Spectrum (came on a cover disk) or The A C64.

My very first Emulator was Atari ST emulator on Amiga my friend had to get a postal order cheque thing, It was quite good but I hoped to run my friends ST games but No early 90s.

Then later PC-Task Demo had to get a friend to make a 720 bootable disk. Was great was able to run QBasic on my A600 Yay.
Old 24 September 2019, 23:54   #35
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
As far as I can recall, the first emulator I've ever experienced was ShapeShifter on my A500. In case you haven't heard of it,
neat 68k Macintosh emulator which received huge praise in its time. Once shareware, its source code has been released
a few months ago apparently.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 25 September 2019 at 04:01.
Old 25 September 2019, 11:05   #36
piesel

I think it was ZSnes and UltraHLE, at the time finding the N64 Zelda roms was a tough job.
Old 25 September 2019, 13:01   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by piesel View Post
I think it was ZSnes and UltraHLE, at the time finding the N64 Zelda roms was a tough job.
Hm I never had any trouble with it myself. I did N64 emulation when I had a computer that could actually sort of run it so torrents were a widely available thing already. There were torrents for complete rom packs and the good thing about torrents was that you could still cherry pick the files you wanted to save time.
Old 25 September 2019, 13:21   #38
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Despite title's thread, I'm under the impression that the OP was not so much asking for general purpose first emulation experience,
but rather the Amiga related type.
Old 25 September 2019, 17:58   #39
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I did try to set up WinUAE on my old p3/900 laptop in 2002; was already running several emulators in the PC at home- especially ePSXe, where was playing non stop Ridge Racer Type 4 and Silent Hill and so decided to experience the "inemulable" as was known to be up to some year before; although not flawless (lot of slowdown and did not knew how to set up JIT), the experience was good enough that several years later on i did set up my actual winuae environment here in my netbook in US where i test the musics
Old 25 September 2019, 18:50   #40
spiff
Oh noes!

I was a horrible romz skid whining about access and free teh emuladorez so a retroactive I'm sorry to Marat Fayzullin

My first was a hacked version of iNes.. I remember getting "nes" packs, probably from the northStarFTP and then swearing about the password protection... spent waay to much time in irc and refreshing Node99. The console copier and emulation scene was closely related back then and my poor little mind was just not ready for the awesomeness that you could download ALL the games EVER made. (nor was my body when the phone bill arrived)

My first Amiga experience was UAE.. U really meant useless back then unless you were a unix coder.. My first "proper" Amiga emulation experience was fellow and a teary eyed reunion with battle squadrons intro tune.

*edit* It wasn't until much later through AIAB and WinUAE that I got back into Amiga proper. Tanks to AGS and WHDload I even bought a CD32, the system I couldn't afford back in the day.. .. So cheers Toni, JayBee and all the JST / WHD devs

Last edited by spiff; 25 September 2019 at 19:16. Reason: AIAB