English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 December 2012, 02:46   #41
Amiga1992

roy, that's really nice of you.
The disk I put is based off a disk Syphus gave to me many years ago. I don't remember who made the version with an HDF file but hopefully he will read this thread and post that too. I think it's a fantastic way of adding storage to a PCMCIA-equipped Amiga
Old 30 December 2012, 02:48   #42
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
roy, that's really nice of you.
The disk I put is based off a disk Syphus gave to me many years ago. I don't remember who made the version with an HDF file but hopefully he will read this thread and post that too. I think it's a fantastic way of adding storage to a PCMCIA-equipped Amiga

i think its a great idea,i really do.
Old 30 December 2012, 02:51   #43
Amiga1992

The best part of doing it the way I do it is that then you have a fully accessible Amiga volume readable on your PC. You can just add folders and copy stuff straight to it using Windows and it will run in the Amiga (save for those rare cases where file naming and otehr issues forbid you form doing so).

Also since the PCMCIA device is easily removable and replaceable, it beats having to open your miggy to put the hard drive/cf card into your PC to fire up WinUAE and do stuff to it.

As the cherry on the icing, CF or SD media is really cheap. you can get a 2GB SD card for next to nothing and this is all the storage I need
Old 30 December 2012, 14:02   #44
foob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The best part of doing it the way I do it is that then you have a fully accessible Amiga volume readable on your PC. You can just add folders and copy stuff straight to it using Windows and it will run in the Amiga (save for those rare cases where file naming and otehr issues forbid you form doing so).

Also since the PCMCIA device is easily removable and replaceable, it beats having to open your miggy to put the hard drive/cf card into your PC to fire up WinUAE and do stuff to it.

As the cherry on the icing, CF or SD media is really cheap. you can get a 2GB SD card for next to nothing and this is all the storage I need
I feel i should add my reasoning on why ive chosen to attempt this the "soft" way rather than manipulating hardware and other physical components of my amiga.

As a kid, i grew up in a very rural area and as a result was confined to the indoors and the Mega Drive/Master System we owned at the time. At around 7 years old i discovered a new friend down the street and this kid had an A500. I'd never seen one before and we would have hours of fun simply typing rude words into the Say function (more fun than i probably should have, even for a 7 year old). I never actually did get one, and it fell into a legendary status for me.

20 years later, and i'm an avid collector of classic games. My Girlfriend is probing about it because i figure she wants to get me something special for christmas, and whenever anyone brings up childhood gaming, i always revert to "the ones that got away". The days of walking a mile down the street just to see if this kid was in so i could play James Pond, Gods or Puggsy (still my favourite to this day). She gets me the A600.

Now, the last thing i want to do is rip this thing to bits and start changing everything about it. Mainly, to me anyway, its like saying "Cheers for the a600 but you should've got the a1200 instead so i'm going to fix your incorrect gift with my upgraded parts". Secondly, she's concerned that she did "wrong" and bought a dud because, at least out of the box, i haven't gotten anything to work on it due to all the disks that came with it being bit-rotten. (thankfully, the James pond 1 original i bought on ebay for 99p still works wonders). So, it would be nice to show her the machine works perfectly fine without having to muck about with the interiors, and the PCMCIA HD is the perfect way to do that. Admittedly, i'm a little disappointed i'm not going to be able to use floppies anymore, but that's just trivial.
Old 30 December 2012, 15:55   #45
demolition
Unregistered User

I like the A600 due to its small size and if you simply want to play games on it, there is hardly any need for an A1200. Since your floppies aren't working, I'd still recommend that you open it up, add an internal (CF) HDD as well as Kipper2k's 4MB expansion. With just 1MB RAM you're not going to be able to play many games from the HDD, and you would need floppies for everything (which you don't have). With 4MB extra you should be able to run most 1, 2 or 3 disk games through WHDLoad from the HDD and still have the PCMCIA slot available for file transfers between the PC and the internal HDD.

Regarding your floppy troubles, I just cleaned out my Amiga floppy collection, and after doing XCopy format with verify (on all non-originals) I threw out about 50% of them. The rest still seem to work fine with no bad sectors or weird noises. All my original workbench disks still work fine. But this also depends a lot on where they have been stored. If all your disks have been stored in a moist cellar or attic, I'm sure they degrade a lot faster.
Old 31 December 2012, 11:51   #46
roy bates

@foob

your disks are on there way,ive done a full set of workbench disk's plus the one akira put in the zone for you,ive also took the liberty of making backups of them all as well(ten in total),just in case.