English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 19 March 2007, 23:54   #1
Devin

A600 HD Installation Problems

Hello all! I've followed the excellent guide posted by InTheSand about installing the Hard Disk.

Link here...
http://www.cdv.co.nz/support/amiga/001/

But I get stuck by point 41 here...
http://www.cdv.co.nz/support/amiga/001/09.php

Click the DH0, hold down the right mouse button, then go up to the "Icons" menu and choose the "Format Disk..." option. Briefly the message "Attempting to load program SYS:System/Format" appears in the black top bar of workbench whilst accessing the floppy (With the Workbench Install disk inserted!) drive. Then nothing happens!

Can anyone please show me what's going wrong? Help greatly appreciated.

Old 20 March 2007, 00:51   #2
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Dont you have to have your Workbench floppy disk rather than the install disk in your drive at this stage?
Old 20 March 2007, 01:46   #3
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Welcome to EAB. What rom version do you see displayed when you first turn the machine on?
Old 20 March 2007, 10:38   #4
Devin

The ROM version is 37.300 and I tried the regular Workbench disk but no joy.

To get my laptop Hard Disk recognised I had to use the 3.1 install disc as 3.0 wouldn't register it properly!

Helps appreciated guys!

Old 20 March 2007, 11:04   #5
cane

Version 37.300 is the first rom version that has hdd support (scsi.device in it). On many places it is stated that this version of rom supports only hard drives smaller than 40 MB. But I have the same rom in my A600 and I have normally installed hdds up to 1 Gb. Maybe you hdd is incompatible with this version of rom.
What kind of error do you get, did you start the format program (pic 42 from tutorial)?
You can also try and format it in WinUAE, after that put it in Amiga and see if it will work.
Old 20 March 2007, 11:22   #6
Devin

That's just the thing, it recognises the Hard Disk using 3.1 and does all the partition business but when it comes to format DH0 and DH1 it just does nothing. No error, nothing! I'm trying a little work around at the moment experimenting and all. Your advice is still appreciated, keep it coming.

Old 20 March 2007, 11:41   #7
mywetpants

Does your icon say "DH0:NDOS" or "DH0:"?
Old 20 March 2007, 12:20   #8
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
when you install using the install disk, it should be doing the format for you. so you endup with 2 drives, one called system/workbench and another called work .
Old 20 March 2007, 12:47   #9
Devin

Just like in the tutorial I end up with DH0: followed by some nonsense letters and the same goes for DH1:

Just tried something new, formatting both DH0 and DH1 using Workbench 2.0. So far DH0 is formatted and has been renamed Empty (Automated process, I had ne control over the name!), it opens up and has a Trashcan so I guess that worked! Doing the same for DH1 right now after which I'll attempt the Workbench installation and then try installing a HD game. I'll let you know what happens!

Thanks for all your help, fingers crossed this works!

Old 20 March 2007, 12:57   #10
mywetpants

If you've got the trashcan, then you're there!
Old 20 March 2007, 15:43   #11
Devin

Okay here's the story so far....

Formatted both DH0 and DH1, rebooted the system with Workbench 2.0 in DF0 and everything looked fine. Installed Dune to DH0 and the game worked great. Rebooted without the Workbench disk and the system goes to AmigaDos where I typed DH0: (Yes I'm clueless with AmigaDos!) to see if it would boot somehow without Workbench. Anyway it asked to insert a volume in DH0 so I cancelled and rebooted with Workbench 2.0.

Now the DH0 has disappeared but DH1 is still there! So I installed Dune... again, with the path DH0. Now it installed it to my DH1 folder but I used the DH0: command! Weird or what? One other problem, tried installing Dreamweb but it won't work. Keeps trying to load 'IconX'. Interestingly Fate of Atlantis did the same but instead asked to insert Workbench 2.0 in DF0. After many changes of Atlantis and Workbench before and during installation the game is on the DH0 in my DH1 folder.

So what's going on? Any help appreciated. Also couldn't install workbench, it tells me I need Kickstart 3 for Workbench 3.0 and 3.1. Have no idea how to install the lower (2.0 for example) Workbenches! Thanks for your patience guys hopefully we'll get this cracked!

Old 20 March 2007, 16:08   #12
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

do you have the wb 2 hd install disk ? this will setup everything .
Old 20 March 2007, 16:18   #13
Devin

I rather presumed there wasn't one being before the time of Hard Disks and all! Thanks for the advice, I'll try that ASAP. Hopefully be the end of my troubles

Old 20 March 2007, 16:34   #14
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

yet your a600 came with wb2 and a hd cradle ?

the install disk was usualy sent with the hd when buying them instead of being packaged with the wb2 diskset strangely. I assume the actual A600HD came with the disk, but i dont know.
Old 20 March 2007, 16:44   #15
Devin

Ha strange huh!

Originally I had an A600 with Workbench 2.0. Then over the years I've had hand me downs because everyone knew I love this old technology. Anyway, I recently bought an A600HD unit. The 20MB Hard Disk just didn't cut it so that's why I'm upgrading! Although I need to buy another cradle as my new laptop Hard Disk needs a custom design. Implementing a hammer and chisel it should fit. I'm shocked the games I installed are actually working considering my amateur antics. Commodore certainly built a resiliant system. Just for the record I'm using a 3.25GB Hard Disk and Workbench recognises the space. Split straight down the middle 1550MB per partition.

Found the Workbench Install disk for 2.0, right under my nose all the time... doh!

Now to get that DH0 recognised properly.

Old 20 March 2007, 18:36   #16
Devin

That Workbench Installation disk worked a treat! Set it all up without any intervention from me!

One small niggle however. I read that going over 2 or 2.5GB put you at risk of losing data from the Hard Disk? Is this true and has anyone here had personal experience of this happening? Only ask because the installation disc setup my 'Work:' folder with 3GB of space! Probably more than I'll ever need but I don't want my games disappearing from the Hard Disk all the same.

Old 20 March 2007, 21:00   #17
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Unless I'm mistaken, If all your partitions are located within the first 4 GB, the HD will be fine. Reasn for 4GB is simple, 32 bit. which is 32^2=4GB.

If you hadn't found the install disk, a simple boot from the WB2 disk, open up a Shell and then type "copy df0: dh0: all" would have done the trick as far as WB installation goes. Done it a few times, though not in over ten years now....... and I still remember that trick