English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 September 2014, 06:41   #41
XPD
Geek Kiwi

There was a store in Royal Oak that sold Amiga gear... another one further up the road at Greenwoods corner... Newmarket Computers (where my 'miggy was purchased).... another store in Manukau. Wasnt a huge amount of stores that sold Amiga stuff, but those that did, were generally good to deal with and got good stuff in.

Do remember that when I got my Amiga, opened it on Xmas day, set it all up and went to hit the power button on the "brick"....to realize I didnt actually have a brick. Or a mouse.
I was gutted, and my folks were really pissed off at Newmarket Computers - turns out someone had returned a dodgy PSU and mouse and the staff had just swiped replacements out of another box....unfortunately the one I ended up with. Had to wait into the new year before I could finally fire it up.

But was worth the wait..... and already had an Amigasoft catalouge on hand :-p
Old 15 October 2014, 21:58   #42
lurch

Never heard of Amigasoft. Always had a small group of friends that supplied everything, the only cost was the box of disks. Which added up as it was 1 to 2 boxes a weekend.

There was also a person we visited a lot on King Richard place, use to have thousands of disks.

Plus the odd shortcut from Oaktree Ave to Squirrel Lane run to swap disks, ahh good times.

Then in the 90's I setup a BBS and had the odd warez. But never got caught. :-)
Old 15 October 2014, 22:04   #43
lurch

Actually miss those days, I had every game at the time for the Amiga. Had a lot of people visiting and made a lot of friends. Real friends not the Facebook virtual kind, my room always had 5-10 people at any given time.

Would love to relive that time, wonder where they all are now? :-/
Old 18 October 2014, 10:14   #44
BaldMonk

Playing on my Amiga convinced a lot of friends to get their own/nag their parents... That led to little gatherings where we'd copy the latest games for each other. Was brilliant fun.

Took hours too... We'd copy a game, then spend ages playing the new copy to "test" it... then boot up X-Copy again
Old 18 October 2014, 11:16   #45
lurch

Can't really have that same experience these days :-/ Not even sure there's an Amiga group locally here anymore. Need to move to Europe or the UK ;-)
Old 07 February 2016, 18:40   #46
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Onto other matters, do any of the kiwis in here have any old disks with the Megapowers logo on it? (Slash/Megapowers lived in Pukekohe I believe). I can only think of their import of Lotus 1, and their text logo that displayed before the game loaded. I'm pretty sure they had no intro coder in their group so relied on dos games and "type megapowers" stuff in the startup-sequence. Does anybody have any of those disks?
I was going through my file-server and found a directory full of old DMS archives which I thought I'd lost courtesy of a faulty ZIP drive, guess what the one labelled LotusTurboChallenge.DMS contained? Zoned in case you never found it.

Of course that wasn't the only thing I found

Old 14 September 2019, 04:25   #47
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
I was going through my file-server and found a directory full of old DMS archives which I thought I'd lost courtesy of a faulty ZIP drive, guess what the one labelled LotusTurboChallenge.DMS contained? Zoned in case you never found it.

Of course that wasn't the only thing I found

hmm I'm having trouble locating this archive on the eab ftp server.