English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 October 2016, 16:28   #1
PaulG

Arrow Play Expo 2016

Not great this year for retro stuff. MSX area was good and had a great chat with the guys there. New ZX Spectrum+ mobo with real ULA was interesting. Was looking for more Amiga stuff there tbh. Was looking out for zer0.
Old 08 October 2016, 18:56   #2
BarryB
Amigaholic

I've stopped going since 2 years ago, got pretty boring. Same old tat sellers and more focus on consoles, this year it was probably the same + VR hype. I guess they only cater now for the herds of sheep that are told new consoles and VR are the 'must have' tech!

Oh, don't forget all those dumbphone games with optional in-app purchases that seem 'mandatory' to progress, sheep love them
Old 08 October 2016, 21:31   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Wow! I think you completely missed half the show chaps - There was over 350 Retrolicious consoles and computers.

(next to the 120 Pin ball machines and approximately 100 Arcade machines (from 1980 - 1999)

Tony Crowther (Captive) was there today, as was John Hare (Sensible Soccer) and Jeff Minter (LamaSoft) to name but a couple.

Are you sure you went to the show in Event City ?

There was a baby / young mother show in the smaller hall
Old 08 October 2016, 22:03   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Wow! I think you completely missed half the show chaps - There was over 350 Retrolicious consoles and computers.

(next to the 120 Pin ball machines and approximately 100 Arcade machines (from 1980 - 1999)

Tony Crowther (Captive) was there today, as was John Hare (Sensible Soccer) and Jeff Minter (LamaSoft) to name but a couple.

Are you sure you went to the show in Event City ?

There was a baby / young mother show in the smaller hall
No one invited us this year, .
Old 09 October 2016, 03:06   #5
PaulG

I think you're missing the point. It was much better 2/3 years ago. See what's interesting in my initial post. Virtually no Amiga stuff except few set up pointlessly. Lots of things missing this year.

Jon Hare was good but missed Crowther
Old 09 October 2016, 10:09   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@PaulG
Its sad when some communities cannot be represented at the show - AmiBay couldn't attend this year, but the RCM (Retro Computing Museum) did and they brought one of their sit-down A3000 VR Machines!

Play Expo had about 20 Amiga's of various upgrade (desk top models) but only the most common - i.e. A500 / A600 and A1200 - and with modest upgrades - so I do see your point - when AmiBay was present a couple a years ago one would see a lot more diverse Amiga Equipment including big-box units and very custom systems as well as a very passionate community behind it.

AmiBay was invited sadly, it was difficult to get staff for event due to work and life - as volunteers its all a negative cost and AmiBay has been doing it for over 4 years including Blackpool's Play Expo's.

My hope is to get AmiBay next year - even if I have to do it my self LOL!

@FOL

I am sorry to read that my friend, It would of been great to see you guys!
Old 09 October 2016, 11:49   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@PaulG
Its sad when some communities cannot be represented at the show - AmiBay couldn't attend this year, but the RCM (Retro Computing Museum) did and they brought one of their sit-down A3000 VR Machines!

Play Expo had about 20 Amiga's of various upgrade (desk top models) but only the most common - i.e. A500 / A600 and A1200 - and with modest upgrades - so I do see your point - when AmiBay was present a couple a years ago one would see a lot more diverse Amiga Equipment including big-box units and very custom systems as well as a very passionate community behind it.

AmiBay was invited sadly, it was difficult to get staff for event due to work and life - as volunteers its all a negative cost and AmiBay has been doing it for over 4 years including Blackpool's Play Expo's.

My hope is to get AmiBay next year - even if I have to do it my self LOL!

@FOL

I am sorry to read that my friend, It would of been great to see you guys!

I do think, that the point of PLAY Expo, has been lost. It was originally setup by you retro guys and then all the big names swanned in and morphed into something completely different. Dont get me wrong, its great and everything. Just think retro stuff should be pride and place, instead of the new crappy consoles, .
Old 09 October 2016, 13:42   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Thread

If I can offer my perspective - Shows like Play Expo exist to fill as much of an audience as possible, combining lots of different communities under one roof. Like most of the members here I am not overly interested in the "new" tech like PS4/XBone's nor their software for the most part - however I was quite taken with the new Battle Zone .

My passion is the communities that have their focus on Retro Gaming - (this does include board games for me atleast). What I find is that this show does what others simply cannot do in the same scale is create cross "pollination" through many communities, like CosPlay, Board/RPG Games/ Pinball Enthusiasts, Classic Arcade machines and a whole host of niche Retro computing communities - all with a bit of the present generation of systems- basically its a bit for everyone - while some people who focus on one particular niche or community, they might find the only bits their interested in is limited others would gorge / feast on quite a lot what's on offer.

With small groups like EAB / AmiBay meets you get a very tight focus and group of friends, its more of an intimate gathering and because of that a totally different experience than that of a large show like Play Expo.

But a little bit about corporate presence (Sony/MS) these help pay for the event and because of that these shows can be bigger, allowing them to have more focused communities. It raises the profile allowing for more big names / developer teams to come and do talks with 'US' the community, providing more interest from other communities to also attend.

Corporate presence really has as much interest to me as a YouTube advert - however there will be some people interest in their services and products, some even excited and thats what its all about, getting as many people interested as possible.

Before doing these shows I had never heard of "Teenage Cancer Trust" or "Geek Pride" (Anti Bullying) and a whole host of others. This type of show really opens ones eye to lots of communities at once and inadvertently can help communities create ties with one another to more localized events as well.

For me its seeing people whom haven't used a retro system in a long while, where they geek out when they see XYZ computer and start a conversation about it with big grins and adoration for the system. and then its the kids that are sooo excited you think they just might explode! And of course spanking friends at various computer / arcade games - installing bragging rights for all time =)
Old 09 October 2016, 14:50   #9
PaulG

I agree that PlayExpo has really dulled down on the retro side. I'd like to see new exciting hardware/software. Let's see an A600 for example with Vampire card, I've never used one 'in the flesh'. Stock machines set up to play games is all we'll and good but I wished there was more. Even Amiga shops don't attend anymore for us to buy parts and upgrades.
Old 09 October 2016, 16:15   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@PaulG

I don't think "dulled down" is a fair thing to say, it would be fair to say "not as much rare or diverse retro equipment from one line of systems" - after all if you are playing Speedball 2 on an A4000 or an A500 its the same experience.

In regards to "Amiga" shops, the only one that I know in the UK would be AmigaKit and their attendance will be strictly business based decision where "foot-fall versus sales" as at the end of the day they have to pay to be there and put food on their tables at home.

Its funny you mention a Vampire 2 equipped A600 on display - I should of taken mine, sadly I was too busy last week to think to take it. To be fair I would have had the RCM guys have for the day for play and display, but I had to leave earlier on the Saturday - that and I think the RCM team would of beaten me up for the V2 lol .

Sadly I think what you wanted was a smaller more focused Amiga gathering, with more diverse hardware like big-box Amiga's and set ups. I would humbly suggest the "Cheltonian Geek fest" next year and Play Blackpool / Glasgow - I would also suggest hooking up with people from AmiBay (there's a few from Mancland )
Old 09 October 2016, 19:05   #11
PaulG

I think you are right. It's not just Amiga stuff just anything interesting.
Old 09 October 2016, 19:08   #12
PaulG

Didn't Play Expo used to be called something else years ago?
Old 09 October 2016, 20:18   #13
BarryB
Amigaholic

It used to be called Replay Expo, then changed to Play Expo in 2012!
Old 09 October 2016, 20:57   #14
PaulG

Ah I remember now. Thanks!
Old 18 October 2016, 10:48   #15
Fiery Phoenix

First time I did not go for about 5 yrs - too many people hogging the same arcade machines and pinball tables (i.e. Track & Field & Indiana Jones) plus I am not really into the new tech stuff and it was taking over more and more space