English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 30 July 2020, 21:21   #1
CD32Freak

Big grin Amiga 1200 Rev 2B Gerber files

I have removed this link and closed this thread while I investigate the allegations of this info being stolen from a respected amiga site. Sorry but EAB will not allow this kind of behaviour - BippyM

Last edited by BippyM; 31 July 2020 at 16:29.
Old 30 July 2020, 21:23   #2
wiz12

Nice work.
Old 31 July 2020, 01:27   #3
Mick

Awesome job.
Old 31 July 2020, 16:02   #4
Acill
Tech Guru

Are these taking from the data over at amigapcb.org? If so I hope you all realize that Christian is pissed and closing all support for the site down from those taking his data to make boards. I dont quite understand this since Chucky and I have both released all of our board data to the public.

I am personally about to just leave the Amiga hardware scene completly now as a result of the site losing support. I am tired of all the drama.

Last edited by Acill; 31 July 2020 at 16:19.
Old 31 July 2020, 16:07   #5
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Nice work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Awesome job.
Indeed... Except it's not a recreation like some other efforts. All that's here is data that has been ripped from AmigaPCB.org, which has resulted in the developer of AmigaPCB now losing interest and giving up on the project. Bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill View Post
Sre these taking from the data over at amigapcb.org?
Yep, they are.

Edit: As are all the other boards in this user's repositories.
Old 31 July 2020, 16:20   #6
dalek

This was already brought up previously here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1377860
Old 31 July 2020, 16:23   #7
Acill
Tech Guru

I am still confused as to why this was even done, when Chucky, floppy, myself as well as many others have worked so hard to get boards done and in open source that are working and tested to be 100% good. Now these are going to be put out and others try to sell boards with unknown orgin and unknown if they are even going to work. Do you have any idea how long it takes to build a board from scratch? Then find it was a bad board and realized all the time and money put into it is wasted? This isnt a good thing, its a mess now.
Old 31 July 2020, 16:26   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thread closed while I investigate
Old 31 July 2020, 19:13   #9
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thread reopened to allow for discussion. Links still removed for now
Old 31 July 2020, 22:18   #10
Mick

CD32Freak has done the community a favour, the Gerbers should be freely available not held back because "my mate doesn't want them released" or some other lame excuse not to share. Adding "opacity control" and threatening to close the website down because he's no longer in absolute control of the Gerbers is all rather childish.

It sounds to me like there's too many control freaks in the community who are scared of losing control.

Last edited by Mick; 31 July 2020 at 22:37.
Old 31 July 2020, 22:20   #11
Mick

Quote:
I am still confused as to why this was even done, when Chucky, floppy, myself as well as many others have worked so hard to get boards done and in open source that are working and tested to be 100% good.
kipper has just released like a 5th(?) version of the A500, the more the merrier I say if you don't like a particular version you don't have to buy it, if something is untested people will find out about it and avoid. I like having the freedom to choose, chucky's work with Re-Amiga has been amazing but I don't particularly like having his vision as the only choice available and nobody else is allowed to offer theirs. I like to shop around and pick whichever one suits me best.

As you know I've been trying to make a board to my own preference and then release the files for other to possibly do the same, where is the harm in that? I have a Re-Amiga which I paid to get built and recently looked in horror at the newly found bug list, do I blame chucky? no, I'm grateful for his work I just wish I had researched more and waited for the bugs to get ironed out before jumping in, none of them are game-breaking it just irks me that my board has issues that have been fixed in newer revisions. My point is I'd rather in 2020 have lots of choices even if it means sifting through potentially buggy/untested things than to be still stuck in 1995.

Last edited by Mick; 31 July 2020 at 22:43.
Old 31 July 2020, 22:53   #12
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
CD32Freak has done the community a favour, the Gerbers should be freely available not held back because "my mate doesn't want them released" or some other lame excuse not to share. Adding "opacity control" and threatening to close the website down because he's no longer in absolute control of the Gerbers is all rather childish.

It sounds to me like there's too many control freaks in the community who are scared of losing control.

We are not saying they are not freely available. I am saying they're currently not available via EAB
Old 31 July 2020, 23:16   #13
Mick

They should be freely available though, it's 2020 what use is it holding onto them? I'm fairly sure the Amiga would not be a competitive computer today.
Old 31 July 2020, 23:53   #14
Chucky

you can never DEMAND a person to make data free. you can ask.. but demand? no..

and it is sad as I know that if asked. I know he would most curtain help.
Old 31 July 2020, 23:54   #15
Chucky

@mick: newly found buglist? I have shown that list for ages. also prompted that the reamiga project is a hobbyproject that might need changes.?

horror? there have been a few issues yet. but HORROR?
Old 03 August 2020, 04:23   #16
rvctech

Quote:
I am still confused as to why this was even done, when Chucky, floppy, myself as well as many others have worked so hard to get boards done and in open source that are working and tested to be 100% good. Now these are going to be put out and others try to sell boards with unknown orgin and unknown if they are even going to work. Do you have any idea how long it takes to build a board from scratch? Then find it was a bad board and realized all the time and money put into it is wasted? This isnt a good thing, its a mess now.

Caveat Emptor! How about people stop wasting rare custom chips for their "latest build"?
Old 03 August 2020, 20:04   #17
CD32Freak

Lightbulb

rvctech, after a lot of thinking the past couple of days, I believe you are absolutely right. So I've decided to make my GitHub repositories private and I will not share my files in the near future. Let the classic boards be classic and don't waste any rare custom chips. Better late than never...

Last edited by CD32Freak; 05 August 2020 at 06:36.
Old 05 August 2020, 01:48   #18
barryn

Wasting chips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD32Freak View Post
rvctech, after a lot of thinking the past couple of days, I believe you are absolutely right. So I've decided to make my GutHub repositories private and I will not share my files in the near future. Let the classic boards be classic and don't waste any rare custom chips. Better late than never...
Fortunately, other PC boards are available. As far as "wasting" custom chips, what would happen if a board is damaged beyond repair while re-capping or replacing a damaged chip? If you can't get a new board, you may as well throw those chips in the trash. Jumper wires can only fix so much. That said, pulling the data without permission from another web site was probably a bad idea.
Old 05 August 2020, 03:55   #19
Acill
Tech Guru

I dont waste custom chips in my work. The only exception was on a 600 that I wanted to help get the board files working and turned out to be bad data from this very site from my understanding.

I restore dead boards with the 4000D I created, and I have bought brand new NOS chips to build new boards up from chips that were sitting on a shelf waiting to be sold, not removed from a working board. I do not like having to use bodge wires all over the place, fix broken traces with patched component legs or try to get a nasty corroded board back to life if I can use a brand new, 100% reliable one to transfer the good parts over and have a nice new machine back in use again.
Old 05 August 2020, 04:27   #20
rvctech

Quote:
I dont waste custom chips in my work. The only exception was on a 600 that I wanted to help get the board files working and turned out to be bad data from this very site from my understanding.
No, that was an experimental A600 board that was designed by Mick prior to the release of these Gerbers. It wasn't bad data, it was an experimental design. You killed a working machine and those chips are probably lost now.

Quote:
I restore dead boards with the 4000D I created, and I have bought brand new NOS chips to build new boards up from chips that were sitting on a shelf waiting to be sold, not removed from a working board. I do not like having to use bodge wires all over the place, fix broken traces with patched component legs or try to get a nasty corroded board back to life if I can use a brand new, 100% reliable one to transfer the good parts over and have a nice new machine back in use again.
It is in fact possible to fix many damaged PCBs using professional tools, materials and methods in accordance with the IPC-7711/21 standards. People have been repairing high-value PCB assemblies for years. This definitely does not involve the use of bodge wires and patched component legs. I have performed these types of repairs many times in my job.

Of course these standards and their described techniques are used by real professionals, not the backyard operator.

I should mention that most Amiga owners would probably not be willing to pay someone to repair their motherboards to this "standard"!

Last edited by rvctech; 05 August 2020 at 09:39.