English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 July 2020, 03:54   #1
Flimbo

Which Scart Switch?

I have noticed that a number of retro gamers use scart switches to hook up multiple retro systems to a display and I thought it might be a useful discussion for this community.
  • Do you own a scart switch?
  • What features should we look for in a scart switch for our Amiga's and other retro devices?
  • Can you recommend a scart switch to the community?

Apologies if this topic already exists on this board but I could not find one.
Old 30 July 2020, 08:55   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I've had many and most are very very bad. They usually don't have the correct wiring and isolation and you get a ground loop, a terrible humming on the audio, or ghosting of other inputs not selected if they are active at the same time. I'll take a photo of mine later, it's the best I've ever had but even it can have issues if an input cable is wired poorly (I've had to rewire so many cheap RGB cables that cause ground loop), also I suspect it's not manufactured anymore
Old 30 July 2020, 09:40   #3
lilwshu

I have a b-tech Quintro automatic powered switch and it is great if physically quite large - you can pick them up for around £10 on eBay when they come up (you can’t buy new ones any more sadly).

The 3-port ones with Selector/mixer buttons on the front are generic clones now and some are better than others depending on who made them, most have quality issues as above.
Old 30 July 2020, 09:59   #4
Jope
-

My rule of thumb, if it is mechanical, it is not worth your time.

I used to have a digital four port Joytech AV switch, which was quite good back in the day. Not sure where you'd get one of those now. There are plenty of contemporary ones, though.

https://www.retrorgb.com/scartswitches.html
Old 30 July 2020, 10:54   #5
-Acid-

I want to buy a Hydra 2 Revised by Lotharek but I cannot get an email response about stock or shipping

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=290
Old 30 July 2020, 13:43   #6
sneeker

Im using a Bandridge and Ive never had a problem with it, they seem to be pretty well respected from what I read before I bought it. No idea if theyre still available though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bandridge-P.../dp/B0015YYN2Q
Old 30 July 2020, 14:38   #7
Flimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I've had many and most are very very bad. They usually don't have the correct wiring and isolation and you get a ground loop, a terrible humming on the audio, or ghosting of other inputs not selected if they are active at the same time. I'll take a photo of mine later, it's the best I've ever had but even it can have issues if an input cable is wired poorly (I've had to rewire so many cheap RGB cables that cause ground loop), also I suspect it's not manufactured anymore
I have read that this ‘humming’ is a problem with many of these scart switcher boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
I have a b-tech Quintro automatic powered switch and it is great if physically quite large - you can pick them up for around £10 on eBay when they come up (you can’t buy new ones any more sadly). The 3-port ones with Selector/mixer buttons on the front are generic clones now and some are better than others depending on who made them, most have quality issues as above.
I will have a look in all of the usual classified sites for one of these. Obviously that price is great value when you look at some of the other models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
My rule of thumb, if it is mechanical, it is not worth your time. I used to have a digital four port Joytech AV switch, which was quite good back in the day. Not sure where you'd get one of those now. There are plenty of contemporary ones, though.
https://www.retrorgb.com/scartswitches.html
Thanks Jope, that webpage looks very useful though it is a shame it lacks user/owner feedback on these devices as they are not cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
I want to buy a Hydra 2 Revised by Lotharek but I cannot get an email response about stock or shipping
https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=290
I have seen this device mentioned a few times in my initial searches – availability and cost (they are expensive) remains an issue. Guess unavailability of retro accessories is nothing unusual as many of these devices are custom made by individuals which naturally drives up the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
Im using a Bandridge and Ive never had a problem with it, they seem to be pretty well respected from what I read before I bought it. No idea if theyre still available though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bandridge-P.../dp/B0015YYN2Q
Bandridge was a brand that I saw in a youtube video on this matter – I will keep my eyes peeled for these, thank you.
Old 30 July 2020, 14:55   #8
str0m

I have 3 (5?) of the Bandridge, work fine, the non powered ones need an internal mod but powered ones ok although one of mine introduces some noise as if it's powered on my Jaguar plugged into another suffers a bit of image quality, odd, ok for now though

These ones supposed to be ok and cheap https://otaku-games.com/index.php?_r...scart-switches

Take a look at this video [ Show youtube player ]

I have 3 of my Bandridge set up atm through a triple adapter (decent not cheapo) into my CRT. Ideally I will go to a larger one at some point so it's a bit neater
Old 30 July 2020, 14:56   #9
Havie

I've spent a lot of time investigating this too as I have multiple scart devices. I have tried a few different scart switches and even at one point had two daisy chained (this cause a lot of interference). I have noticed that the image seems a bit darker than it should be.

Have kept my eyes open for a powered Banbridge one (with no luck) as the Hydra 2 seems just too much money to spend!

I'd be interested in what sort of rewiring is needed to improve the picture.
Old 30 July 2020, 15:17   #10
Flimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by str0m View Post
I have 3 (5?) of the Bandridge, work fine, the non powered ones need an internal mod but powered ones ok although one of mine introduces some noise as if it's powered on my Jaguar plugged into another suffers a bit of image quality, odd, ok for now though

These ones supposed to be ok and cheap https://otaku-games.com/index.php?_r...scart-switches

Take a look at this video [ Show youtube player ]

I have 3 of my Bandridge set up atm through a triple adapter (decent not cheapo) into my CRT. Ideally I will go to a larger one at some point so it's a bit neater
Appreciate the link to the Otaka range, just found this video (by the same channel you linked to) that provides a longer review of the Otaka models. I am leanign toward purchasing the scart only version.

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
I've spent a lot of time investigating this too as I have multiple scart devices. I have tried a few different scart switches and even at one point had two daisy chained (this cause a lot of interference). I have noticed that the image seems a bit darker than it should be.

Have kept my eyes open for a powered Banbridge one (with no luck) as the Hydra 2 seems just too much money to spend!

I'd be interested in what sort of rewiring is needed to improve the picture.
Hydra does look like the best option but the cost is prohibitive to me. This might be the sort of thing I would buy once I had bought everything else I want and need. Which could be never ha ha.
Old 30 July 2020, 15:25   #11
str0m

I think if you watch the video I linked to he didn't like the Hydra

The non powered Bandridge info is in here, not all seem affected https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=994705

As mentioned, all of mine are powered but one definitely does something a bit weird if left powered on. All my stuff is individually power switched so I just leave that one off unless using a console connected to it.

The Otaka looks nice and probably what I would go for if only needing 5 ports. I'm currently using 14 in total not to mention what's plugged into two other TVs lol
Old 30 July 2020, 15:50   #12
Flimbo

Quote:
I think if you watch the video I linked to he didn't like the Hydra

The non powered Bandridge info is in here, not all seem affected https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=994705

As mentioned, all of mine are powered but one definitely does something a bit weird if left powered on. All my stuff is individually power switched so I just leave that one off unless using a console connected to it.

The Otaka looks nice and probably what I would go for if only needing 5 ports. I'm currently using 14 in total not to mention what's plugged into two other TVs lol
Yeah as things stand I think that number of ports might suffice. Not sure I have enough space to add more retro consoles to my collection for now. I want to have about five or six machines setup and ready to play on the one monitor and sound system. No doubt I will regret these decisions in time when I expand my collection

I just ordered an OSSC and new fast ram to finally get my 1200 running (hopefully on this monitor). Need to wait a month or so for my wife to forget about these expenditures haha
Old 30 July 2020, 15:55   #13
str0m

Just noticed you are a local Bought my CD32 from someone down in Gateshead recently, he is doing up a 2000 and 4000. I have it connected to an old LCD TV simply because it's on a table with a TF330, kb and mouse. At least the TV being old means I can force to 4:3 and it seems to handle 15khz without flicker so for workbench stuff it's better than on my CRT. Get quite a few incompatibilities with the 030 and whdload games so it would be nice to have a 1200 with just fast ram or a faster 020 as well.
Old 30 July 2020, 16:08   #14
Flimbo

Quote:
Just noticed you are a local Bought my CD32 from someone down in Gateshead recently, he is doing up a 2000 and 4000. I have it connected to an old LCD TV simply because it's on a table with a TF330, kb and mouse. At least the TV being old means I can force to 4:3 and it seems to handle 15khz without flicker so for workbench stuff it's better than on my CRT. Get quite a few incompatibilities with the 030 and whdload games so it would be nice to have a 1200 with just fast ram or a faster 020 as well.
I saw that CD32 for sale (presume it was the same one) and not sure why I didn't buy it. For some reason I have always wanted this machine. So it was fully working...

I bought a 1200 this year and forked out a small fortune for a 030 on ebay but it didnt work. Although I got my money back I lost confidence in buying another. Anyhow I bought one of the new fast ram cards from AmigaStore.EU and I am hoping this is fully compatible with whdload. I also hope that my monitor is compatible with the OSSC and that one of these scart switchers doesnt cause problems. It is a minefield.
Old 30 July 2020, 16:16   #15
str0m

It was on Facebook, the North East Retro Den (NERD) Group, who btw are about to open an arcade in Gateshead, they have run various retro events before. I had a CD32 already but it was glitchy so bought this working one and sold mine with issues declared, just cut my losses.

Has your 1200 been recapped? I think most need it and it affects stuff like timing which becomes more critical with accelerators. Not used an OSSC. The old LCD TV I'm using with my CD32 is great as it has 3 scart, 3 hdmi, component and VGA (although dreamcast won't work through it for some reason but PC is ok). All the Bandridge's are hooked up to a B&O CRT
Old 30 July 2020, 16:29   #16
Flimbo

Quote:
It was on Facebook, the North East Retro Den (NERD) Group, who btw are about to open an arcade in Gateshead, they have run various retro events before. I had a CD32 already but it was glitchy so bought this working one and sold mine with issues declared, just cut my losses.

Has your 1200 been recapped? I think most need it and it affects stuff like timing which becomes more critical with accelerators. Not used an OSSC. The old LCD TV I'm using with my CD32 is great as it has 3 scart, 3 hdmi, component and VGA (although dreamcast won't work through it for some reason but PC is ok). All the Bandridge's are hooked up to a B&O CRT
I follow NERD on facebook and look forward to visiting their arcade when it opens. The 1200 is recapped and came with a Gotek drive but I didnt like it so bought a CF Hard Drive with whdload already on it. I borrowed a friends 030 to test the machine and the CF and both seemed to work fine. Just not sure I want to gamble on buying an old 030 again. Hoping this fast ram does the trick.

Some folk daisy chain these scart switchers but I honesty wouldn't feel comfortable with this.
Old 30 July 2020, 18:01   #17
Nobby_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I've had many and most are very very bad. They usually don't have the correct wiring and isolation and you get a ground loop, a terrible humming on the audio, or ghosting of other inputs not selected if they are active at the same time.

Indeed, mine had a lot of cross talk between each device ---
I had to pull the ones not being viewed to get a clear pic
on the one that was
Old 30 July 2020, 19:15   #18
UberFreak

I use an old mechanical VGA switcher with VGA<->SCART cables.
Very cheap solution and works great for my uses.
Old 31 July 2020, 22:22   #19
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
I have a b-tech Quintro automatic powered switch and it is great if physically quite large - you can pick them up for around £10 on eBay when they come up (you can’t buy new ones any more sadly).

The 3-port ones with Selector/mixer buttons on the front are generic clones now and some are better than others depending on who made them, most have quality issues as above.
I bought one of these (unopened apparently) from ebay to test so will see if it is better than what I have already.

And I blame thread starter but also bought a digital one with a remote control!!!

Will report back on my findings when they both arrive. One or both may be going straight back to ebay?
Old 31 July 2020, 23:54   #20
Flimbo

I couldn't find a Quintro switch but will keep my eyes pealed for one. Was it reasonably priced, Havie?