English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 October 2011, 16:50   #1
Quiet_Man

Replacing amiga roms

I've just bought 2 x 3.1 roms for my A1200 and will replace them asap, I know about static and have a wrist band etc, but, are there any other problems I should know about before attempting to remove the old roms. Do they tend to be stuck in? best way of removing them so as not to crack the motherboard etc.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 October 2011, 17:06   #2
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi i just carefully use a small flathead screwdriver to lever them out of the socket at each end

also make sure you put the roms in the right sockets see diagrams on my lables and way round notch to the left with miggy in front of you

also there will be 2 pins empty in the socket empty pins to the left so roms fit to the right

see pic

Last edited by prowler; 28 October 2011 at 17:36. Reason: Tidied up image insertion.
Old 28 October 2011, 17:11   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Man View Post
I've just bought 2 x 3.1 roms for my A1200 and will replace them asap, I know about static and have a wrist band etc, but, are there any other problems I should know about before attempting to remove the old roms. Do they tend to be stuck in? best way of removing them so as not to crack the motherboard etc.
The best way of removing the old ROMs is to insert a thin, flat-bladed screwdriver (a watchmaker's or jeweller's screwdriver is ideal) between one end of each ROM and the socket, and slowly and gently lever it up slightly. (There may be some cracking sounds heard when the ROM pins move from the position in which they have settled for the last few years.)

Then move to the other end of each ROM and repeat. Go back and forth between the ends until the screwdriver is almost completely underneath the chip and out the other side. Eventually the chips will come out.

Be careful to ensure that each row of pins raises up together to prevent one side popping out much before the other, so that you don't bend any pins.

Note that the sockets may have more pins than the chips. Record carefully how the ROMs are both positioned and orientated in the sockets before you remove them.

Edit: See johnim's excellent picture above to see what I mean.
Old 28 October 2011, 17:27   #4
Quiet_Man

Thanks guys, that's a big help, will be tackling it next week some time and thought it was best to ask first rather than scream for help after
Old 28 October 2011, 17:33   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Man View Post
...thought it was best to ask first rather than scream for help after
That's what we're here for. Good luck!
Old 28 October 2011, 17:41   #6
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

no worries mate
AdSense AdSense