English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 October 2011, 01:51   #1
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Blizzard 1230 IV + SCSI Kit, No Boot

Hello everyone,

I am once again having issues with one of my amigas..

The amiga I am having problems with is an A1200 with Blizzard 1230IV/50 +FPU and 64mb RAM, 4gb CF HDD, Kick 3.1, and a 350W power supply (amigakit.com). I have been running this configuration for several months with few problems and recently decided to get the blizzard scsi kit for this accelerator card.

Here's my problem, when I attach the scsi kit (which has a 128mb RAM card on it) and turn my amiga on, the power LED blinks and it resets over and over. I can't enter the pre boot screen, floppy drive doesn't even start, and of course the HDD drive doesn't attempt to start either...
This is really frustrating, I always get some kind of problems. I would normally just try the accelerator + scsi in my other 1200 and take the ACA1230 out of that and put it in this one, but for some reason the 1200 that I am currently having problems with simply refuses to work with the ACA1230.
So here is what I have tried so far: I tried cleaning all contacts, setting the required jumper(ram access speed) and also the MAPROM-disabling jumper, different power supply, taking RAM off of the SCSI kit, and slightly moving the SCSI back and forth (which sometimes causes the power LED to stop blinking but still keeps the amiga from doing any Booting or even pre booting).

Should I maybe trade the RAM cards (I.e. Take the 64mb off of the accelerator and switch with the 128mb on the SCSI kit)?
I'm really lost as to what I should do and I would really REALLY appreciate any help at all...

Thank you for your time!!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 October 2011, 09:21   #2
stachu100

Are you sure that SCSI KIT is working? Maybe you bough it on ebay as "untested".
Old 11 October 2011, 15:11   #3
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by stachu100 View Post
Are you sure that SCSI KIT is working? Maybe you bough it on ebay as "untested".

Thanks for the reply!
I actually bought it from Jon Hare who is a member on this forum and if I remember correctly he stated it was working. Is there maybe some easy step that I am missing? I just don't understand why it won't even go into the pre boot screen when both mouse buttons are held down..
Old 13 October 2011, 11:15   #4
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Check what your voltages are doing, there may be an issue on the card that's dragging a rail down or something similar.
Old 14 October 2011, 20:53   #5
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Check what your voltages are doing, there may be an issue on the card that's dragging a rail down or something similar.
Thanks for the tip! I'll get on that as soon as I can. You wouldn't happen to now where on the card to look for what voltage by any chance would you?
Old 14 October 2011, 20:55   #6
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

I'm also going to put it in my other 1200 and see what happens then...
Old 20 October 2011, 15:16   #7
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Well, I tried putting the 1230 and scsi kit in my other miggy and got the same problem.. I think there is something wrong with the scsi kit, when I looked at the solder points of the connector (the one that connects to the accelerator card) I noticed some kind of stuck on liquid.. I guess now the question is; does anybody have any pcb cleaning tips?
Old 24 October 2011, 05:58   #8
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Ok, this is for anybody reading that might also be having this problem..
I finally got it working! First of all, I wasn't aware that you have to isolate the scsi kit from the blizzard card ( I ended up using a piece of thin cardboard that I cut down to size). And then secondly (and this is the step that I found coincidently that turned put to be the main problem fixer), I had to elevate the complete blizzard card with scsi kit off of the desk; basically, this means I pushed the card up so that it was really aligned with the guide rails of the expansion slot. I am assuming that if I were to put the trap door on, this would have been done automatically.
So, I hope this saves some other people out there from the weeks of headaches and desperation that I went through to find out the solution was so simple!
AdSense AdSense