English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 January 2009, 18:17   #21
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
AROS is getting there but its a bit like using Workbench 1.3 sometimes
As theres not realy any apps I did think about doing a live CD full on Classic Amiga Apps and Games
Heres my last AROS setup its abit out of date
http://eab.abime.net/album.php?albumid=92&pictureid=514
Taken in VirtualPC

:HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL
Hey, I missed this! How did you get it working in Virtual PC? I have the 2004 edition, and it refuses to boot AROS

D.
Old 13 January 2009, 18:27   #22
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Ja, I tried AROS on VMware, it was - like someone said before me - like using OS1.3... empty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
How did you get it working in Virtual PC?
Maybe this will help (courtesy of OSH )
Old 13 January 2009, 18:52   #23
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Hey, I missed this! How did you get it working in Virtual PC? I have the 2004 edition, and it refuses to boot AROS

D.
Im not a big fan of VMWare -That was a May 2008 nightly build on VPC 2007 getting the more recent build to work might be a pain - mention it on Aros Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
Ja, I tried AROS on VMware, it was - like someone said before me - like using OS1.3... empty Maybe this will help (courtesy of OSH )
I agree - Maybe you would like it if it was full of Amiga Games.
Old 15 January 2009, 23:40   #24
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
No its cool prowler I havent looked at Aros since you sorted me out with E-Uae 0.27 what about you?
I made a few Live CDs -clones of my above setup these were fine for running Amiga games but for Classic apps I wanted to use FileSystem2 wich wasnt working.
Any ideas for themes?
Hi Boo Boo,

I haven't really made much headway with AROS, I'm afraid. I collect the files as they are released, meaning to spend some time with them, but I never quite seem to get back to it. It's too far down my list of priorities, I suppose, and I suspect it's gonna take a lot of effort, too.

prowler
Old 16 January 2009, 00:45   #25
wobbly

i downloaded Aros it looks cool could anyone tell me is it an Amiga clone or is it just emulating Amiga with uae or something
Old 16 January 2009, 00:50   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
i downloaded Aros it looks cool could anyone tell me is it an Amiga clone or is it just emulating Amiga with uae or something
Good question, wobbly.

That just about sums it up. I could really do with some answers too!
Old 16 January 2009, 01:55   #27
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Good question, wobbly.

That just about sums it up. I could really do with some answers too!
AROS isn't an emulator, nor is it an Amiga clone

Like your PC running Windows (or Linux, if that's your bag), the Amiga runs an operating system called AmigaOS. Applications written for the Amiga, for the most part, called parts of the OS to do stuff like read and write from the drives, draw windows, manage screens etc. It was, without a shadow of a doubt, the nicest OS in existence at the time.

AROS is a new operating system. You could replace windows with it (though that's not recommended as yet - there's a lot of work to be done with it). It reproduces not only the look and feel of AmigaOS, but also allows applications to make the same calls to the OS to draw windows and manage I/O etc. The end result is basically a Workbench on your PC. Unlike an emulator, it's all native code and so is very fast. It's not terribly bloated, like Windows is.

Applications written in an OS-friendly manner for AmigaOS could, in theory, be compiled with very little modification under AROS.

Where you may be confused is the VMWare/VirtualPC editions of AROS - they run on an emulated PC, but AROS is still not an emulator - you're emulating a PC that is running AROS.

D.
Old 16 January 2009, 01:57   #28
Ian
Global Moderator

tried it with qemu but it was painfully slow so will have to wait until SATA support is added as my dvd drive and HDDs all use sata
Old 16 January 2009, 02:08   #29
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
AROS isn't an emulator, nor is it an Amiga clone

Like your PC running Windows (or Linux, if that's your bag), the Amiga runs an operating system called AmigaOS. Applications written for the Amiga, for the most part, called parts of the OS to do stuff like read and write from the drives, draw windows, manage screens etc. It was, without a shadow of a doubt, the nicest OS in existence at the time.

AROS is a new operating system. You could replace windows with it (though that's not recommended as yet - there's a lot of work to be done with it). It reproduces not only the look and feel of AmigaOS, but also allows applications to make the same calls to the OS to draw windows and manage I/O etc. The end result is basically a Workbench on your PC. Unlike an emulator, it's all native code and so is very fast. It's not terribly bloated, like Windows is.

Applications written in an OS-friendly manner for AmigaOS could, in theory, be compiled with very little modification under AROS.

D.
Thanks for that explanation, Dunny.

My biggest problem with AROS was trying to decide whether it would run applications compiled for Amiga OS, and how to transfer them into the AROS environment. Now it seems it does not, and so there's no point in trying to import those applications.
Old 16 January 2009, 04:56   #30
wobbly

grate stuff so lets hope it takes off it sounds great an os that can run it's own stuff and Amiga stuff to now that's cool
not only that from what ive seen it looks , feels and acts just like an Amiga
Old 16 January 2009, 05:26   #31
Pyromania

@wobby

It even acts and kind of looks like OS 4.0.
Old 16 January 2009, 10:59   #32
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

@prowler:
FWIW: AROS does have it's own version of UAE so your 'old' apps will run...

...I'm not sure where they are up to but I understand the 'plan' is to integrate UAE (or at least a 68k core) into the OS. That way all 'well written' apps will run direct without the need for a recompile.
As all the calls are the same, I'd expect the bulk of calls could be handled by the x86-native OS, so in theory you'd have a solution similar to Amithlon but even faster - and of course a development path with new apps being written.

Now for a quick burst of Amiga fanboy dreaming:
I'm really looking forward to AROS getting to the point where a genuinely useful distro can be produced...
...maybe it's because I have a pathological hatred of all things *NIX (esp the Li versions) but I'm convinced there's room for a lightweight Geeks OS lacking all the bloat / complexity of the most common offerings about today. Frankly AmigaOS / AROS is / will be more than up to the job of a single-user desktop OS...
...there's still a lot of peeps who look fondly on their Amiga days who would be tempted to give such a distro a try, who I believe would be pleasantly surprised by how functional AmigaOS is with good hardware under it...
...yes, I'm indirectly banging that Amithlon drum again too.
Amiga fanboy dreaming over - you're safe now:
Old 16 January 2009, 13:47   #33
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
@prowler:
It gets better:

http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/2008/11/...amibridge.html

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to AROS getting to the point where a genuinely useful distro can be produced...
...maybe it's because I have a pathological hatred of all things *NIX (esp the Li versions) but I'm convinced there's room for a lightweight Geeks OS lacking all the bloat / complexity of the most common offerings about today. Frankly AmigaOS / AROS is / will be more than up to the job of a single-user desktop OS...
Sounds very much like my plan for a Sinclair Spectrum OS for older PCs :-)

SpecOS (under development, albeit slowly) mimics a Sinclair Spectrum but takes advantage of better hardware - highres screen, better sound support, mass-storage etc. Retains all that made the Speccy great, like the immediately available BASIC (enhanced, of course), virtually instant boot time, simple memory model - flat memory, with no memory protection other than the OS, Video RAM exposed as part of the main memory etc. It would be single-tasking though, like the old Speccy. A very simple, but fun OS.

AROS is similar, being very lightweight (though not that lightweight - my 486 can't run it) and very fast.

D.
Old 16 January 2009, 13:48   #34
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
My biggest problem with AROS was trying to decide whether it would run applications compiled for Amiga OS, and how to transfer them into the AROS environment. Now it seems it does not, and so there's no point in trying to import those applications.
If you have source, you can recompile those apps for AROS, assuming they don't so anything with the hardware directly - early Amiga stuff almost certainly did, but later apps from the 3.0 era were much better behaved.

If you don't have source, then see my previous post about AmiBridge. Won't work for games though!

D.
Old 16 January 2009, 15:14   #35
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Im please to see E-UAE has been updated with a nice GUI and Filesystem2 support thanks to o1i

o1i has also taken the UAE integration (basic/initial) Bounty

Progress can be followed on - http://o1i.blogspot.com/
The Bounty - http://www.power2people.org/bounty_001.html
Old 16 January 2009, 17:08   #36
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

SpecOS sounds interesting...
...I don't suppose you have more info..?

Slightly off-topic:
One thing that really annoys me about all 'modern' OS's is their habit of claiming ALL the resources on the system, & then (maybe) free up enough to let the user get a look in after the fact...
-small exaggeration warning-
...let's face it. CP/M did just about everything one could expect of an OS on early hardware - everything else is *just* eye-candy. IMO it's unforgivable that as hardware has developed OS's are actually taking a higher proportion of system resources than they used to and don't bring anything new to the user.

I know there's an argument that filling your system is just good resource management but as an example:
If I'm watching the telly I'd like my legs to be available to take me to the loo in an advert break. I'm not so sure I'd like the idea of having to apply to the local utility company first to get their use back because they'd been using my legs to power a dynamo...

Last edited by Charlie; 16 January 2009 at 17:23.
Old 16 January 2009, 22:13   #37
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
@prowler:

...I'm not sure where they are up to but I understand the 'plan' is to integrate UAE (or at least a 68k core) into the OS. That way all 'well written' apps will run direct without the need for a recompile.
As all the calls are the same, I'd expect the bulk of calls could be handled by the x86-native OS, so in theory you'd have a solution similar to Amithlon but even faster - and of course a development path with new apps being written.

<snip>
Amiga fanboy dreaming over - you're safe now:
Quote:
Quote:
If you have source, you can recompile those apps for AROS, assuming they don't so anything with the hardware directly - early Amiga stuff almost certainly did, but later apps from the 3.0 era were much better behaved.

If you don't have source, then see my previous post about AmiBridge. Won't work for games though!

D.
Quote:
Im please to see E-UAE has been updated with a nice GUI and Filesystem2 support thanks to o1i

o1i has also taken the UAE integration (basic/initial) Bounty

Progress can be followed on - http://o1i.blogspot.com/
The Bounty - http://www.power2people.org/bounty_001.html
Thanks for all the info, guys!

The AROS ports of UAE I have saved on a hard disk somewhere... But AmiBridge is set to make VmwAROS much more useful.

Also, it's great to see E-UAE being extended by o1i. It's such a long time without news from Richard Drummond on E-UAE.

And Charlie, I always have empathy for Amiga fanboy dreaming. Don't we all do it? If I'd bought an A1200 when they first appeared I would have been astounded by what it could do compared to the PC systems I was using at that time. They could have had the world in their hands at that time. I often wonder what better systems we would all be using now if things had turned out differently...
Old 03 March 2009, 10:33   #38
mihcael
Zone Friend

Plenty of news to tell over the last few weeks!!

OWB beta version has been relaesed for testing
Project Home Page
Bug Tracker and Download or direct download 0.9.2

follow the progress at aros-exec.org

In the process Stanislaw Szymczyk (AROS OWB Porter) has also doen the following work..
  • OpenSSL 0.9.8jCreated a new port based on 0.9.8g port done by Rob Norris.
  • Curl 7.9.12Created a new port based on 7.17.1 port done by Rob Norris.yes
  • Fontconfig 2.6.0Created a new port.yes
  • ICU 4.0.1Created a new port based on 3.8 port done by Rob Norris.yes
  • SDL 1.2.11Created a new port.yes
  • OWB (SVN trunk)Created a new port partially based on AmigaOS4 port done by Jörg Strohmayer.yes

AROS Windows Hosted
Runs aros using the Windows System, (display, filesystem...) Instant boot!!, runs all? i386 aros executables!! (no networking or sound yet)

You have to try this out!!! Latest Downlad download the latest version of the file mingw32-i386-system.

Screenshot1 Screenshot 2

follow the prgress here (aros-exec)
MPlayer
This one i havent tested yet, but is reported to be woprking very well!!

Changes in this version:
- updated to MorphOS sources 2009.02.02
- updated to MPlayer sources 2009.02.25
- enabled support for DVD (free and encrypted)
- created DVD navigation menu
- enabled playlist
- enabled support for network streams
- validated working with many multimedia formats (mp3, mpeg, avi, mov, wmv)
- improved stability

Since there were some fixes applied to AROS during development of this version, it is required to have AROS system files from 2009.02.24 or later.

iMica (AROS Hardware)
ClusterUK is pleased to announce that we are now shipping the VmwAros powered iMica system from 1st March. We held off while network driver was completed and OWB started to ship. Remember profits go into Aros drivers for the unit which will benefit other platforms.

So for a complete working system from £250 goto http://clusteruk.dns2go.com

UAE Intergration

Janus-UAE 0.2

Version 0.2 of Janus-UAE has been uploaded to AROS archives. If you start it, you'll get an e-uae with picasso96 support for AROS. http://archives.aros-exec.org/index....ae.i386.tar.gz

also expecting a new version of VmwAros from paolone soon. With OWB and Mplayer set up ready to go!!
Old 03 March 2009, 15:10   #39
Madcrow

AROS has always been one of my favorite alternate OS platforms. With the PPC Amiga-like makers seeming uninterested in high-end hardware anymore (both the EFIKA and the Sam440 are based on 603-derived embedded SoCs rather than the nicer G3/G4 hardware of the previous generation), AROS really is quickly becoming the only solution for Amiga-like computing on modern hardware.
Old 28 March 2009, 00:28   #40
prowler
Global Moderator

I have just found another UAE emulator for AROS.

"Janus-UAE (short: j-uae) is a transparent (rootless) Amiga Emulator
for the AROS Operating System, based on the original UAE by Bernd
Schmidt and E-UAE 0.8.29-WIP4 by Richard Drummond."

Lastest version is janus-UAE 0.3 (25-Mar-2009).

Grab it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/janus-uae/

prowler