English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 14 June 2016, 10:16   #21
majikeyric

Thanks Stephane

I would want to give it a try but your link requires an account creation.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 June 2016, 17:23   #22
nogginthenog
Amigan

Try this link, I think it is the same download:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/smgwbi8g6...NXo703vQa?dl=0
Old 16 June 2016, 11:00   #23
majikeyric

Thanks for the link nogginthenog
Old 16 June 2016, 21:54   #24
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i like data compression, it is fun to design this sort of thing... what is best depends on the sort of image of course. if there is a lot of block colour (like Prince of Persia sprites) it might help to store the image as an outline and then use the Blitter to fill it. Or possibly "rotating" the data in some way might help, for instance instead of storing the data left-to-right, top-to-bottom store it bytewise (or wordwise) top-to-bottom, left-to-right, and then compress that using some custom LZ variant. Maybe a wordwise rather than bytewise variant of LZ. You will have to experiment, do some tests.
Old 17 June 2016, 23:36   #25
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

One might also want to try differential compression between successive frames of an animation. In Prince of Persia for example, each frame is quite similar to one another since the animation is quite smooth so encoding the difference might be a rudimentary but efficient form of compression.
Old 20 June 2016, 13:52   #26
zero

Is there any sprite flipping going on? For example you quite often need the player sprite to turn around, in which case writing a flipping routine will reduce the amount of data.

Following on from what ReadOnlyCat said, you can sometimes break the sprite up into sections (like body + arms + legs).
Old 20 June 2016, 21:40   #27
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

indeed, looking at that other thread where someone posted some graphics from a fighting game, (was it Final Fight?) it appeared the sprites were made out of 16x16 tiles. With sprites that large there are presumably a lot of blank areas that don't need blitting, consider a character doing a kick for instance, where the leg would have a lot of blank space above and below.
Old 22 June 2016, 15:16   #28
Stef_

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikeyric View Post
Thanks Stephane

I would want to give it a try but your link requires an account creation.
Oh sorry i fixed the link but indeed the one nogginthenog gave was the good one
I hope you were able to test it, should be ready for use on amiga normally

Quote:
... and then compress that using some custom LZ variant. Maybe a wordwise rather than bytewise variant of LZ.
In fact that is exactly what LZ4W does (W stands for "word"), i also tweaked a bit the compression scheme to really obtain the best decompression speed (again there is a trade-off on the compression ration). Still i'm satisfied with the result, at least for Megadrive i mainly use it on GFX data which you want to unpack live (as sprite data) as the compression level was not that bad (at least better than another fast packer i was using before) =)

Old 22 June 2016, 20:36   #29
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef_ View Post
In fact that is exactly what LZ4W does (W stands for "word"), i also tweaked a bit the compression scheme to really obtain the best decompression speed (again there is a trade-off on the compression ration).
LZ is very good, decompression is fairly straightforward and the ratio can be quite impressive with the right sort of data (and you can roll Run Length Encoding into it as well, by allowing the string length to exceed the offset). Fast compression, on the other hand, is a little more involved...

Btw you have given me ideas now about making a Megadrive version of Mr Beanbag! Imagine that...

...must finish Amiga version first...
Old 14 July 2016, 22:41   #30
Stef_

Good luck with your Mr Beanbag project, would be nice to see it on Megadrive as well

Old 30 November 2016, 16:11   #31
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
Is there any sprite flipping going on? For example you quite often need the player sprite to turn around, in which case writing a flipping routine will reduce the amount of data.
Some little idea I got in another thread, not tested but might be interesting:

Another idea to save ram could be using real-time compression on animation frames. If you're amazingly clever, you might be able to bake the mirroring into the decompression algorithm at little cost, e.g in LZ77 or LZ4, you'd need to only flip the literals, but the matches are copied from the decompressed stream that is already flipped. You'd need to store the bytes in vertical order, though (8 pixel columns going from top to bottom, then start next column at the top - when decompressing flipped, write the columns from right to left).

I might have overlooked a serious issue with this. But would be interesting to see if it works, depending on the data it could be even faster than a simple byte-per-byte mirror in extreme cases, when there's a high number of matches that have to be simply copied...
AdSense AdSense