English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 10 May 2015, 21:06   #41
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

With just a little tinkering with Blitz Basic, I managed to make a parallax scroll with Dual Playfield.

I am really excited with this
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 May 2015, 13:53   #42
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
With just a little tinkering with Blitz Basic, I managed to make a parallax scroll with Dual Playfield.

I am really excited with this
Good work!

I'm going with Blitz Basic 2.1 + the Support Suite. I spent a while looking for easy C/C++ game frameworks which would work well on a stock Amiga but didn't find much. I don't have an FPU on my FPGA Arcade so I can't use Amiblitz.

I've got my environment set up and have been tinkering with Hello World type programs to get used to the language so far. I'm ready to start playing with graphics. I don't know if you've seen the PDF of the Amiga Format tutorials, but I think they'll be more useful than the manual.

I'm struggling with Ted/SuperTed though. I thought it would be fine as I like a bare-bones text editor, but the whole Amiga-D to delete a line, Amiga-J to join a line, etc is horrible. Why on earth did they design it like that?! I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Chris
Old 15 May 2015, 23:17   #43
Cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
I'm struggling with Ted/SuperTed though. I thought it would be fine as I like a bare-bones text editor, but the whole Amiga-D to delete a line, Amiga-J to join a line, etc is horrible. Why on earth did they design it like that?! I guess I'll just have to get used to it.
Chris
Kiwis! Do i need to say more?
Old 16 May 2015, 01:39   #44
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I didn't like Ted either. I also keep erasing my whole line accidentaly, because I accidentally press backspace while holding shift.

I have zero experience with any Amiga apps, since back at time I only use my Amiga for gaming basically....
Old 16 May 2015, 02:53   #45
Nosferax

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Good work!

I'm going with Blitz Basic 2.1 + the Support Suite. I spent a while looking for easy C/C++ game frameworks which would work well on a stock Amiga but didn't find much. I don't have an FPU on my FPGA Arcade so I can't use Amiblitz.

I've got my environment set up and have been tinkering with Hello World type programs to get used to the language so far. I'm ready to start playing with graphics. I don't know if you've seen the PDF of the Amiga Format tutorials, but I think they'll be more useful than the manual.

Chris
Could be worst... You could be using vi.
Old 16 May 2015, 03:53   #46
Cylon

Quote:
I didn't like Ted either. I also keep erasing my whole line accidentaly, because I accidentally press backspace while holding shift.
I have zero experience with any Amiga apps, since back at time I only use my Amiga for gaming basically....
So, your two statements here are just an explanation of your inability to learn?
Old 16 May 2015, 17:17   #47
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
So, your two statements here are just an explanation of your inability to learn?
And you are trying to achieve exactly what with this message?

Anyway, for text editors, use CygnusED, there's nothing best.
Old 19 May 2015, 16:55   #48
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
He wrote that he in short time managed to make a dual playfield parallax scroll in BB2, which has a rather steep learning curve for newbie programmers.

And TED deserves all the critisism it can get. Even when Blitz2 was actively developed, one of the most common complaints from users was "when will we get a new TED". It's a horrible editor.
Old 19 May 2015, 17:13   #49
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Anyway, for text editors, use CygnusED, there's nothing best.
CygnusEd is very basic. FrexxEd is MUCH more powerful. Different universe really.
Old 19 May 2015, 18:02   #50
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I said I had zero experience with Amiga apps just to say I'd have no idea of what text editor to try to replace TED. So any suggestions are welcome

I had very few discs that weren't games: Deluxe Paint, Pro Writer, Professional Pagemaker, Pelican Press and Protracker. And Workbench, of course. Nothing else.

I actually used Pro Writer, Pagemaker and Pelican Press for school, as I also had a printer back at that time
Old 19 May 2015, 18:11   #51
TheBilgeRat

Come on, now... Vim is available in binary, and has Amiga cred too:
http://www.vim.org/download.php#amiga

Memacs is there, too, if you're a Philistine
Old 19 May 2015, 19:28   #52
daxb

There are many text editors for amiga. Maybe it is time for an overview of all of them with at least small description (system it runs on/target, fast/slow, main/special features, ...) if isn`t done already. If a print magazine is searching for a topic?!
Old 20 May 2015, 18:21   #53
idrougge

Quote:
I said I had zero experience with Amiga apps just to say I'd have no idea of what text editor to try to replace TED. So any suggestions are welcome
Basically, you can't. TED (and SuperTED and PED) is integrated with the compiler. You'll have to put up with TED or fool it.

Of course, you can try out AmiBlitz2. It has replaced TED with PED, which has clunky configuration and a lot of warts, but at least it offers better syntax highlighting and some improved line editing functions.

My personal favourite editor is TurboText. It's just very well-behaved, without the idiosynchracies of CED or Vim.
Old 21 May 2015, 09:30   #54
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Also a big thing to remember is that TED automatically highlights commands for you, and you can instantly get a description of the syntax by pressing Help over the command. (Super)TED isn't great purely in text editor turns but I've used it for so long I guess I'm immune to all its quirks.
Old 21 May 2015, 12:09   #55
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Basically, you can't. TED (and SuperTED and PED) is integrated with the compiler.
How awful That alone would be enough for me to say goodbye to a compiler like that.
Old 21 May 2015, 12:19   #56
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Also a big thing to remember is that TED automatically highlights commands for you, and you can instantly get a description of the syntax by pressing Help over the command. (Super)TED isn't great purely in text editor turns but I've used it for so long I guess I'm immune to all its quirks.
That's a top tip, thanks. I tried the 'Blitz Compiler' hack and using FrexxEd in conjunction with TED but the workflow is too convoluted and full of pitfalls.

Shatterhand - I hope you don't mind me posting my update here. It's your thread after all...

I've also managed to get dual-playfield working in Blitz mode with a little copper effect. I've played around with QBlit and BBlit in Amiga mode, so I need to put all those things together, and try some sprites and text. I'm working from tutorials so my knowledge is on very shaky ground but it's improving.

On the plus side, I'd forgotten how much I enjoy using DPaint. When I was doing iPhone stuff doing the graphics could be a drag, but there's something immensely satisfying about working with pixels and a limited palette. It felt a bit like coming home.

Chris
Old 22 May 2015, 00:10   #57
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

No prob, go ahead.
If you want, share those tutorials

My PC at home isn't working, I need to replace its PSU. While I don't do it, any thing towards this is paused for now
Old 22 May 2015, 01:32   #58
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
My PC at home isn't working, I need to replace its PSU.
Oh joy, sounds like fun I had to reinstall Windows yesterday
Old 22 May 2015, 16:29   #59
idrougge

I've now worked out how to write Blitz2 code in TurboText. Check this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1021147&postcount=6
Old 22 May 2015, 23:57   #60
gazj82

Ok, thought I would give this a go, but unfortunately I can't get amiblitz to install. Grabbed it from aminet and extracted the archive on my a1200. I run the installer it makes a couple of assigns then the installer fails with returncode 10.

If I try tor un blitz or TED I my amiga comes up with the old reboot suspend box and crashes ?!

Any ideas guys?
Thanks
AdSense AdSense