English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 07 April 2009, 15:31   #1
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

EAB Multi Platform League - Round 4 - Raiden (PC Engine)

EAB Multi Platform League - Round 4 - Raiden

Starts : 07.04.2009
Finishes: 21.04.2009

Rules :

Post screenshots of your scores in this thread, and write your score underneath. You can enter as many times as you like within the round's time frame.

No cheating of any kind (including score leeching) - this includes save states. If you suspect a contestant of cheating then don't post it in public (anyone who does so will have their posts edited or deleted) - please PM me and I will investigate it. If we find anyone guilty of cheating then they will be banned for the entire season.

Play at default settings (will fill in later when I'm home )

Remember, anyone can join in at any time. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Downloads :

- PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 ROM

Extras :

- Full rules and FAQ (of course only the parts that also apply for console gaming )

Played so far :

Round 1 - Castlevania Bloodlines (MD)
Round 2 - Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
Round 3 - Super Aleste (SNES)

Current Scores :

Code:
 1. TodaysForgotten - 4,426,900
 2. xpect           - 2,400,900
 3. off1k           - 1,198,350
 4. john4p          -   540,150
 5. Asman           -   362 550
 6. mihcael         -   318,100
 7. Predabot        -   214,100
 8. Akira           -   165,350
 9. blade002        -    93,800
10. mailman         -    80,850
11. Graham Humphrey -    72,750
(Whole layout and text still courtesy of Graham Humphrey )

Bring it on and happy gaming!

Last edited by TCD; 21 April 2009 at 22:59.
Old 07 April 2009, 15:44   #2
Graham Humphrey

Will definitely be giving this one a whirl - I've got Raiden III on the PS2 and enjoyed that, so with a week off work next week and the Super League taking a break I plan to give this a serious go
Old 07 April 2009, 16:43   #3
TodaysForgotten

ya graham! that's the spirit.
Old 07 April 2009, 17:46   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Any advises on the emu a complete PC-Engine noob like me should use?
Old 07 April 2009, 17:59   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Use Ootake, it's freeware and easy to use.
Old 07 April 2009, 18:05   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

thx!
Old 07 April 2009, 18:19   #7
TodaysForgotten

FYI when you die, pause or screen shot the game immediately. There are no initial screen or current "highscore" during game play.
Old 07 April 2009, 19:28   #8
TodaysForgotten

I love raiden, but it's hard to get use to this after playing raiden iv.

Last edited by TodaysForgotten; 26 January 2010 at 03:30.
Old 07 April 2009, 23:43   #9
Predabot

Hmm! I am displeased... I was hoping for Devil's Crash.

If anybody want a good reliable place to dl the game-files, which also allows Proxy-servers and other anonymizing software, then check this link:

http://www.rom-world.com/dl.php?name=PCE&letter=R

Do we have to use the Japanese version btw? I'd rather not, since I can't understand japanese.
Old 07 April 2009, 23:46   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
Do we have to use the Japanese version btw? I'd rather not, since I can't understand japanese.
We use the US version as you can see if you click on the 'PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 ROM' link in the first post
Old 08 April 2009, 00:49   #11
Predabot

Just played the game. Extensively.

AND I F***ING *HATE* THIS GAME! >((

Few are the games that come highly recommended that makes me want to bang my fist trough the keyboard, stand up and throw my computer out the window, but this is one!

It's so ridiculously hard! Jesus f-in' christ! And the shots..! They don't seem to go any faster if you push the button faster, so why couldn't they allow you to just hold the fire-button down, for continous fire???

What the h*ll!

And there's not even any nifty fast increase in your firepower, if you do well, either! Like in Aleste, R-type or Axelay, you are always well prepared for the mammoth power of the bosses, but in this game you've pretty much only got the basics of power-ups you got from the start of the level!

It's shmups like these that give the genre a bad rep, and make people look past gems like Super Aleste. No wonder the genre is almost extinct nowadays... Jee-e-esh!
Old 08 April 2009, 00:53   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You still play with the keyboard? You cannot complete hardcore shmups from the 80s/early 90s without a good stick or pad.
Old 08 April 2009, 01:00   #13
frikilokooo

I hope that it is not as difficult as the arcade version,I never have managed to reach more of level 1-3 in the arcade and it's one of my favorite games!
Old 08 April 2009, 03:37   #14
TodaysForgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
Just played the game. Extensively.

AND I F***ING *HATE* THIS GAME! >((

Few are the games that come highly recommended that makes me want to bang my fist trough the keyboard, stand up and throw my computer out the window, but this is one!

It's so ridiculously hard! Jesus f-in' christ! And the shots..! They don't seem to go any faster if you push the button faster, so why couldn't they allow you to just hold the fire-button down, for continous fire???

What the h*ll!

And there's not even any nifty fast increase in your firepower, if you do well, either! Like in Aleste, R-type or Axelay, you are always well prepared for the mammoth power of the bosses, but in this game you've pretty much only got the basics of power-ups you got from the start of the level!

It's shmups like these that give the genre a bad rep, and make people look past gems like Super Aleste. No wonder the genre is almost extinct nowadays... Jee-e-esh!
I wouldn't say this is what gives the genre a bad name. It's always been a niche genre, but ironically if you look on any torrent site its always the bullet hell games or tougher shooters that are getting huge snatches. Which, to me, is ironic but at the same time great.

This game is like rtype, if you die, you'll lose all your powerups and pretty much have to work things out with your pea-shooter.

The powerups you do get become very powerful. The one thing i never really liked about raiden was the big hit box on the ships. This game suffers from what R3 suffered from and that is a slow ship. I don't mind. It makes things a bit tougher and interesting, but i can feel the frustration there.

Don't try Raiden 4 (def not mushihime-sama)its a bit worse than this. R4 actually hovers on end of twitch and the beginning of bullet hell/curtain. Raiden is still more of a twitch game.

I also agree you'd really want to get a pad at minimum to do well. Hang in there man. Remember the reward in these games is getting past that part or beating your score. Don't let the difficultly take away from the experience.

The Aleste series is what shmups done for fun is all about. Its just hard enough to where you have to stay alert, but there is never really any threat throughout the game with all the extra lives you get. I agree its tons of fun, but for those who want a bit more of a challenge they go up the ladder and while raiden is a couple of notches above aleste both are fun if you let them be (:

@Friki - This is a bit slower than the arcade version and there are less enemies. You should be able to get past 1-3. Although the ship in the arcade version is faster and seems to have a smaller hitbox and when you die it restarts you atleast in the arcade version you have that option to getting your rockets and couple of upgrades back.

Last edited by TodaysForgotten; 08 April 2009 at 03:51.
Old 08 April 2009, 06:31   #15
john4p
Competition Moderator

Most PC Engine games run in a resolution of 256x239 pixels - including Raiden.

If doubled with the ingenious hq2x-scaler that means 512x478 would be perfect.

I suggest any resolution with 480 pixels height, like 640x480 (in this case there's no need for a custom Powerstrip resolution because of 2 pixels height difference between 478 and 480).

Then, for example in Magic Engine (version 1.1.3) select HI-RES (hq2x), RATIO OFF (no ugly widestretch; of course you can try 4:3-mode but it's not ideal for Raiden) and VSYNC 1 (no screen tearing):

Then you'll have a very clear picture, smooth scrolling, no tearing and a really pretty experience:

P.S. If you have a PSP you can play Raiden PERFECT with HuE (version 0.70).

P.P.S. Thanks to an insanely painful lumbago I've suffered on Sunday which got worse on Monday I'm unable to move and tied to my bed. So I had plenty of time for Rodland and writing this "mini-tutorial" (thanks to painkillers I'm able to type again - 'til yesterday I could only use mouse and gamepad ).

Last edited by john4p; 08 April 2009 at 06:42.
Old 08 April 2009, 07:10   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Predabot
Yup, it's hard and playing it without a joypad/stick is a pain in the *ss You should consider buying a pad/stick (which will also enhance you Amiga gaming experience ). It doesn't make the game easier, but surely better to play.

@john
Get well soon At least you now have some time for gaming
Old 08 April 2009, 07:58   #17
john4p
Competition Moderator

Thanks.

Yup - enough time for gaming:

Old 08 April 2009, 09:31   #18
john4p
Competition Moderator

Found a little fairy in the first level. She's worth 10k points and gives you two weapon-powerups, one missile-powerup and two bombs when you die.

Still can't beat the boss of the second world:

Last edited by john4p; 08 April 2009 at 10:01.
Old 08 April 2009, 09:35   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You're slowly getting there john
Old 08 April 2009, 12:13   #20
Predabot

@John: Those are some kick-ass scores! Those painkillers don't seem to be throwing your game off no nuthin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
You still play with the keyboard? You cannot complete hardcore shmups from the 80s/early 90s without a good stick or pad.
I'm slowly beginning to suspect you're right, Retro. Things like Street Fighter 2 Turbo are also a pain to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodaysForgotten View Post
I wouldn't say this is what gives the genre a bad name. It's always been a niche genre, but ironically if you look on any torrent site its always the bullet hell games or tougher shooters that are getting huge snatches. Which, to me, is ironic but at the same time great.

This game is like rtype, if you die, you'll lose all your powerups and pretty much have to work things out with your pea-shooter.

The powerups you do get become very powerful. The one thing i never really liked about raiden was the big hit box on the ships. This game suffers from what R3 suffered from and that is a slow ship. I don't mind. It makes things a bit tougher and interesting, but i can feel the frustration there.

Don't try Raiden 4 (def not mushihime-sama)its a bit worse than this. R4 actually hovers on end of twitch and the beginning of bullet hell/curtain. Raiden is still more of a twitch game.

I also agree you'd really want to get a pad at minimum to do well. Hang in there man. Remember the reward in these games is getting past that part or beating your score. Don't let the difficultly take away from the experience.

The Aleste series is what shmups done for fun is all about. Its just hard enough to where you have to stay alert, but there is never really any threat throughout the game with all the extra lives you get. I agree its tons of fun, but for those who want a bit more of a challenge they go up the ladder and while raiden is a couple of notches above aleste both are fun if you let them be (:
Hmm... interesting, I never thought about how much slower the ship is, and the big hitbox. A bit odd that they would change those things from the Arcade tho, now 'innit? I mean, doesn't the PCE have a very fast processor for its time? 14 Mhz I think it is, and that's stupendously fast for an 8-bit processor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
@Predabot
Yup, it's hard and playing it without a joypad/stick is a pain in the *ss You should consider buying a pad/stick (which will also enhance you Amiga gaming experience ). It doesn't make the game easier, but surely better to play.
I'll consider it mate, I'll consider it. Sadly I'm unemployed right now, so it'll have to wait for a while. Any particular brand you'd suggest? Nowadays I know a lot of console-pads can be used with the comp, with adapters of various kinds, so that seems pretty darn cool.