English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 October 2014, 11:49   #41
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic23 View Post
I'm interested to gauge what makes members here an Amiga user in 2013. I mean modern PCs and Macs are a 1000 times more powerful than even a highly ungraded Amiga 4000 these days, so why do we all love the Amiga so much?

For me, if I am brutally honest it is nothing more that pure nostalgia, I had an Amiga A1200 back in the early 90's and want to relive my younger days and play the games and use the software that I remember using back then.

Having said that, I am really loving learning about aspects of the OS that I never knew (or cared about) back then like tool types for example, I never knew about stuff like that back in the day, and of course now we have the pleasures of Compact Flash Cards and the awesome WHDLoad, the wonders never stop .

So come on people tell us why you use an Amiga now in the futuristic world of 2013...
Yep, the 'nostalgia'.

Happy memories from back in the day although I rarely play games/fire up my 1200 these days.

Been watching a lot of 'Bad Influence' over the past few weeks and reminiscing... they did a lot of features/game reviews on Amiga titles... any one else find Nam Rood to be hilarious?

I like others chucked a lot of Amiga gear in 1999 when I moved over to a PeeCee (due to girlfriend) but have in recent times re-collected my favourite magazines/games so all is not lost

Been using a PC for almost as long as I did with the Amiga now - but it's not the same. PC hardware/software/consoles - meh, I'm not bothered how powerful or blingy it all is. I can say that the Amiga is the only machine which made computing actually enjoyable/fun to be around.
Old 04 October 2014, 14:22   #42
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Amigas are interesting computers, that's why I still use mine (no nostalgia).
Old 04 October 2014, 19:29   #43
Leffmann

Nostalgia, and a general interest in tinkering with computers I suppose.
Old 05 October 2014, 01:31   #44
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Nostalgia in the first place (retro-feeling I would call it), but you don't know the amount of improvements that we've got and how often. There are a lot of people still improving/making/helping. I like a lot to try all of those small programs/updates/improvements and talking about them. Well, in fact I haven't the time/money for them all
Old 05 October 2014, 13:03   #45
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

What makes me an Amiga user?

Turning my A500 on every day just to listen to the Turrican II title music.
Old 05 October 2014, 13:17   #46
modrobert
old bearded fool

I'm using the A1200 mainly because it is a great computer with the best community ever, ranging from oddballs to loyal fanatics. You also get full pin serial and parallel ports which is useful for many TTL related electronics projects.

I read manic23's post about a PCs and MACs being a 1000 times more powerful, was thinking a bit about that...

To me the important part when having a project idea or solving a problem, is not to reach a solution as fast as possible, it is having fun while doing it. The Amiga might not be the most efficient way of solving a problem, but you are doing it in style, and it feels great. Every time I involve the Amiga in one of my projects, the satisfaction goes up, it's like magic.

When it comes to motorcycles no one is really surprised that some people prefer riding an old classic instead of the latest model. This how I feel about Amiga, sure, a lot of things can be done faster with a modern computer, but does it make you feel good while doing it?

Last edited by modrobert; 05 October 2014 at 13:24.
Old 07 October 2014, 00:20   #47
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
I read manic23's post about a PCs and MACs being a 1000 times more powerful, was thinking a bit about that...
[ Show youtube player ]

It explain why - compare 60MB vs few hundred bytes.
Old 07 October 2014, 01:09   #48
adrdesign

Amiga sound is unique, along with the edit method. I think using it like they are using the Fairlight CMI nowadays. I think it is a complete DAW / musical instrument by itself.
Old 07 October 2014, 11:14   #49
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic23 View Post
So come on people tell us why you use an Amiga now in the futuristic world of 2013...
For me it's that I've grown to love the way how AmigaOS works. Its internals, GUI, programs, scripts, customizing options etc.

I've always used Amiga (and compatibles) as my daily machine for the games, demos and productivity. A500 at first, then fully expanded A1200 up to 2004, and MorphOS systems since then.

I still love programs like AmIRC, Magellan2, IBrowse/Odyssey (Odyssey has similar design with IBrowse, so it's a natural step), and I love my settings and ARexx scipts etc which combines them all together. I do lot of file managing etc, and I just can't be as efficient on other platforms.

Modern Amigas give an incredible speed up to old Amiga apps too, but then I also play classic Amiga games on real A1200 setups. There are some old classics you never get tired, but all the time I also make new finds of cool games I missed in the old days. It's also easier to get multiplayer setups and players nowadays, which gives a lot more depth to some games.

Modern Amiga compatibles haven't been this near to mainstream ever (browsing, movies, music, laptops etc) and I've coped with tougher times too, so I don't see any reason I'd stop being full time amigan at home in coming years either
Old 08 October 2014, 12:40   #50
Hodor
Retro Human

In my case, apart from the previous words in this thread, I am very much fond of computers than consoles. I grew up around Spectrums, C64s, STs and Amigas so it is easy to undestand my care about classic computers.

In fact, if I had enough spare space I would collect them just for remembering old times.
Old 28 October 2014, 16:09   #51
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
I'm using the A1200 mainly because it is a great computer with the best community ever, ranging from oddballs to loyal fanatics.

To me the important part when having a project idea or solving a problem, is not to reach a solution as fast as possible, it is having fun while doing it. The Amiga might not be the most efficient way of solving a problem, but you are doing it in style, and it feels great. Every time I involve the Amiga in one of my projects, the satisfaction goes up, it's like magic.

When it comes to motorcycles no one is really surprised that some people prefer riding an old classic instead of the latest model. This how I feel about Amiga, sure, a lot of things can be done faster with a modern computer, but does it make you feel good while doing it?

Couldn't have put it better myself. I started emulating recently but I'm starting to miss it like a brother so may have to actually buy one to console myself!
Old 29 October 2014, 19:46   #52
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Nostalgia and Amiga t-Shirts ....Get yours today.

I wouldn't mind physical hardware, if i had physical disks, but i don't..

All my stuff is in emulated adf. format pdf magazines and all from Commodore days..

U realize how long it would take me to convert those disks over ? Not to mention if i can even get 880k floppies anymore (or any for that matter)

That's the only reason why i use software emulation, and while i get that the hardware is better, starring constantly at magazines is enough to make me care

As long as i can still do AMiga stuff, hardware would be nice, but if i have to settle for second best, the software these days have come a long way with almost 100% perfection, and to me anyway, that's enough.. Even right down to the noise of the floppy drive.

Plus, I used to own my first Amiga 500+ back in 1994 with a big container of 500+ floppies.... (at least that's the only thing that's kind of helped)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodor View Post
In my case, apart from the previous words in this thread, I am very much fond of computers than consoles. I grew up around Spectrums, C64s, STs and Amigas so it is easy to undestand my care about classic computers.

In fact, if I had enough spare space I would collect them just for remembering old times.
Maybe a warehouse full of everything Amiga's (like an Amiga museum) would be a dream

Last edited by amiga_Forever; 29 October 2014 at 20:03.
Old 30 October 2014, 20:35   #53
Hodor
Retro Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post

[...]

Maybe a warehouse full of everything Amiga's (like an Amiga museum) would be a dream
Sure! But I would fill it with not only Amigas but other computers too.
Old 23 November 2014, 22:53   #54
Doranwen
Zone Friend

Send a message via AIM to Doranwen Send a message via MSN to Doranwen Send a message via Yahoo to Doranwen
Nostalgia here as well. Loved playing the games as a kid--we had Major Motion, Donald Duck's Playground, Uncle D's Con-Sound-Tration, Hole-in-One, Gee Bee Air Rally, California Games, Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego . . . even Sonix music writing software. So much fun! I've been playing Shanghai the other day--loved the eyeball at the end. Ah, the memories.
Old 23 November 2014, 23:40   #55
stu232
Utterly Lost....

I just like seeing old Tech do new things.

My favourite machine of all time is the C64 Breadbox, that's where I did most of my gaming and learned some machine code, however I always craved an Amiga, they looked so powerful. I was 19 before I owned an Amiga 500, loved it to bit, amazing machine but I wasn't really into the games, ofcourse I played them and really enjoyed them but I'd usually be found with the case unscrewed watching such and such a groups latest Mega-Demo and using my fingers to feel how warn each chip got, I used to write down how hot the chips were, I don't know why I did it but it was fun at the time.

I own almost all commercial machines released between 1976 and 2014, sometimes I'll play their games but most of the time I'm trying to hack them in some way.

I've got so many machines and so many different gadgets for each machine that my wife swears that I have Attention Deficit Disorder, lol
Old 24 November 2014, 02:16   #56
ancalimon
Supernormal

Patience..............................................................
Old 24 November 2014, 03:20   #57
wanderer
I want an A1000

It was never just about hardware specs. The Amiga has personality, something other systems never did, especially the PC's. So today, it's about staying in touch with that special feeling, adding colours to a grey world - letting them affect you. You might think this is the definition of nostalgia but it's not. A distinct personality is always contemporary and desired. It should be forever.
Old 24 November 2014, 11:52   #58
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

..My Amiga T-shirts and a huge collection of Amiga stuff
Old 14 May 2015, 08:27   #59
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Buying myself an Amiga 500 right on the 30th anniversary of the machine.
Old 14 May 2015, 08:57   #60
ransom1122

Played giana sisters in '87.
Playing giana sisters 2015.

Same game. Same machine. Enjoyment and passion still there