English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 November 2011, 11:49   #1
jt5566
jt

Deluxe Paint 3, what was the best art created with it?

Hi ive just got a copy of DP3 with its manual (39p) and am happily reading the instructions to see what i can do with the programme. Im a novice when it comes to upgrading etc and Im using DP3 with my old Amiga600HD as standard, except for an original 1mb upgrade (2mb total) ive also replaced the original 20mb harddrive with a 4gbCF card. It all seems to be working ok. Im using the original workbench 2.05 disks (Kickstart 37.300).
I dabbled with a ripped copy of DP3 back in the early 90s and remember been quite impressed with what the software was capable of but without a manual I soon lost my way. So as ive now got the all important "how to" guide its got me wondering exactly what could you create with the software? Has anyone got images of their best efforts or stills of great creations from magazines etc?
My poor Amiga600 hasnt got a numpad so im also wondering if i can access the rotation keys etc that the manual says i need a numpad for? or am i doomed to the limitations of the A600 keyboard setup? Is there an extension numpad available for the A600? Also would 2GB of SRAM help with using the program any as im considering getting a card ive seen on ebay?
I have seen copies of DP4 but i see it uses the AGA graphics supprted on the A1200 so i pressume it is of no use to me & my A600?
Im currently learning to use 3DSMax on my PC which is extremely powerful but I like the idea of learning DP3 just to remind me how it was back in the day.

Cheers JT

ps i see most of the threads on this site are regarding games or hardware, I hope there is someone else on this site with an interest in Amiga CGI?

Last edited by jt5566; 05 November 2011 at 12:05.
Old 05 November 2011, 12:47   #2
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
The version of Dpaint that came with the A600 did come with a numpad emulator. The emulator shuld be downloadable elsewhere too, but I dont know where. The A600 dpaint didnt seem to be in the Amiga tosec collection either when I last looked.
Old 05 November 2011, 13:11   #3
laffer
Zone Friend

Numpad emulator, must be the first time I hear of something like that. Pretty cool.
Old 05 November 2011, 19:14   #4
jt5566
jt

Thanks, come to think of it im pretty sure i had a numpad emulator program on an old disk somewhere?? ill have a look but will the emulator run along side running DP3 on the A600 or do i have to do some fancy software installation? Interesting that you are saying that there is a standalone version of DP3 with the numpad emulation built in or the software redesigned with the A600 (no numpad) im mind? I never knew that? perhaps thats the way to go, wonder if anyones got a copy of the A600 version out there..?
Old 05 November 2011, 19:33   #5
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
The version of Dpaint that came with the A600 did come with a numpad emulator. The emulator shuld be downloadable elsewhere too, but I dont know where. The A600 dpaint didnt seem to be in the Amiga tosec collection either when I last looked.
Really? I would doubt it, because Commodore strange bundles were often crazy. Amiga 600 HD came for example with exclusive version of Putty, which was NOT HD INSTALLABLE! So I would be surprised if the special version of DPaint for non-numpad Amiga would exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt5566 View Post
Also would 2GB of SRAM help with using the program any as im considering getting a card ive seen on ebay?
2MB, no 2GB And no, it wont help you as the Amiga uses only Chip Mem for graphics. It can only help you in the way you have bigger RAM disk, where you can temporarily store your data, like brushes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt5566 View Post
I have seen copies of DP4 but i see it uses the AGA graphics supprted on the A1200 so i pressume it is of no use to me & my A600?
There is DPaint IV and DPaint IV AGA. The standart release is the best graphics software for your A600, imho much better than DPaint III,

Last edited by Predseda; 05 November 2011 at 19:40.
Old 05 November 2011, 21:58   #6
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Really? I would doubt it, because Commodore strange bundles were often crazy. Amiga 600 HD came for example with exclusive version of Putty, which was NOT HD INSTALLABLE! So I would be surprised if the special version of DPaint for non-numpad Amiga would exist.
Oh it deffinatly exists.The numpad emu it self is in the public domain and im sure it appears on magazine disks too. I notice the Bundled version of F1GP (3 Disk) didnt seem to be in tosec either.

Putty was included in the Wild,Weird and Wicked pack which was just a plain ole A600. A600 HD came with epic Rome if I remember right on the hd. I wouldnt be suprosed if dpaint wasnt included as it was part of their other bundles too.
Old 06 November 2011, 00:32   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post

Putty was included in the Wild,Weird and Wicked pack which was just a plain ole A600.
OK, pardon, it was Myth, not Putty

But the fail is the same
Old 06 November 2011, 20:23   #8
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/npad-373

Found the numpad emu on Aminet if not known about already.

Maybe it should be a seperate thread, but is it known if Commodore game/app Bundle disks are being preserved at all ? ips/adf box/inlay scans ?. Would be interested in having that accessable

Unfortunatly I dont have any of mine now, but maybe access to the A1200 Magic Pack disks.
Old 06 November 2011, 20:57   #9
mikele

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Numpad emulator, must be the first time I hear of something like that. Pretty cool.
now you should go back to "worst Amiga" poll and withdraw your vote for A600, dude!
Old 06 November 2011, 20:59   #10
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikele View Post
now you should go back to "worst Amiga" poll and withdraw your vote for A600, dude!
[flamewar]
A600 IS WONDERFUL AND I LOVE IT. BETTER THAN A500/500PLUS!!
[/flamewar]

Old 06 November 2011, 23:35   #11
jt5566
jt

Thanks for that info, yeah sorry i meant 2mb SRAM card not 2gb (how times have changed...) Ive had a quick look at DP4 on Ebay but i feel that the prices are daft. Ill stick with DP3 for now (39 Pence boxed,disks,manual!! mind you it cost me £2.50 for del') I will see how i go on with a keypad emulator. Is there/was there ever a plug in keypad extension available?
So any anyone got any examples of great images created on Deluxe paint, other than the packaged examples?

Last edited by jt5566; 06 November 2011 at 23:44.
Old 07 November 2011, 09:13   #12
pmc
gone

Are you staying with DPaint III purely because you have a manual for it?

There's DPaint IV and V out there and you might find that a .pdf version of the DPaint IV manual turns up somewhere soon too

Also, I find that Personal Paint by Cloanto is very good too. It does the same as DPaint but, in my opinion, often does them better.

As to the best art work produced with DPaint I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone told me most of all the demos and games ever made for the Amiga had some DPaint grapics in there as it really was a standard graphics app for the machine so, in short - take your pick.

Last edited by pmc; 07 November 2011 at 09:24.
Old 07 November 2011, 22:37   #13
jt5566
jt

well im thinking that ive got a copy of DP3 with a manual so im thinking i might go with that for a while and i can always use my knowledge of DP3 and apply it DP4 etc? I havnt used personel paint and i guess i missed it first time round.
Also from what ive seen DP4 or 5 going for on Ebay it seems expensive for what is purely a bit of retro CGI creativity.
How well would DP4 or 5 run on my 2mb Amiga 600 (no numpad & no AGA)? It could be that im missing out on free downloads somewhere? I havnt figured out how i update my old Amiga software from the internet either directly or via my PC? Any advice in laymans terms would be very helpful.
Cheers
Old 08 November 2011, 08:57   #14
pmc
gone

Hey jt5566

No need to purchase expensive boxed software, unless that's what you want of course.

DPaint IV (and V for that matter) are available on the EAB fileserver.

Also, .pdf versions of the the DPaint IV and DPaint IV AGA manual are available here: http://amiga-manuals.xiik.net/applications/index.php on Josh's excellent Amiga manuals site.
Old 08 November 2011, 11:05   #15
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
2MB, no 2GB And no, it wont help you as the Amiga uses only Chip Mem for graphics. It can only help you in the way you have bigger RAM disk, where you can temporarily store your data, like brushes etc.
It depends entirely on the software. Brilliance 2 stores it's screen data in fastmem and copies it to chipmem when it has to be displayed. Saves a ton of chipmem when working on very large images. Adpro does something similar as well, and it's possible that Dpaint can do it too.