English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 August 2023, 22:03   #1
Hatt

Amiga A600 PiggyBackNot RGB2HDMI 1Mb Expansion

https://www.retropassion.co.uk/produ...1mb-expansion/

Hi, considering this expansion for my A600. I understand I'd need to buy a Raspberry Pi Zero also. The Piehut doesn't seem to have them in stock, so not sure if they are hard to get currently?

My main interest is the HDMI port. But I'd like to know a little more about this.

My LED TV (4k) has a composite in, which is how I've been connecting the Amiga currently. Would the HDMI offer any sort of improved picture? I know there are some widget for things like the N64 or Gamecube which improve the picture and make it look better.

Or is it simply a case of being more convenient with the HDMI connection and no change in picture quality?

Thanks.
Old 26 August 2023, 22:15   #2
Calabazam

Thanks for this link, I didn’t know this expansion and it is definitely a convenient improvement of my A604 from IComp with rgb2hdmi header and 3 clockports.
Not for me though because I wish to keep my vga indivision ecs even if I add a rgb2hdmi.

As for your question, yes hdmi is a significant upgrade over composite output. You will get crisp picture, can have smooth 50 Hz and scanlines on your lcd and as you said hdmi is more convenient for modern monitors.
Composite is blurry with leaking colors.
4K tv is overkill for the Amiga though and may not be the best choice to scale the picture.
Old 26 August 2023, 23:03   #3
Daedalus

4K doesn't make it any worse for scaling than a typical 1080p display. Yes, it's overkill, but if the output is already scaled to 1080p, it will be displayed *exactly* at 1080p, and if the output is to be scaled by the TV, having extra pixels will allow for smoother scaling.

That is an interesting expansion alright, giving you an alternative RGB2HDMI option to fitting it over the Denise chip on the motherboard.

Almost anything is an improvement over the Amiga's composite output, which is poor quality even for composite. It's less common these days but if you have a SCART input on the TV, you'll get a vastly better picture using that instead. But if you can find a Pi for that expansion, that's probably the way to go.
Old 26 August 2023, 23:05   #4
Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
Thanks for this link, I didn’t know this expansion and it is definitely a convenient improvement of my A604 from IComp with rgb2hdmi header and 3 clockports.
Not for me though because I wish to keep my vga indivision ecs even if I add a rgb2hdmi.

As for your question, yes hdmi is a significant upgrade over composite output. You will get crisp picture, can have smooth 50 Hz and scanlines on your lcd and as you said hdmi is more convenient for modern monitors.
Composite is blurry with leaking colors.
4K tv is overkill for the Amiga though and may not be the best choice to scale the picture.
Thanks for the info. I agree a 4k TV is not ideal, but it is what I have and I don't really have room for anything else where I want to use the Amiga. I have a 49" 4k TV a 28" 4K monitor and an older LG LED monitor (non HD), but it only has VGA and DVI inputs and no speakers.

Don't suppose you have any screenshots of what the HDMI might look like compared to composite?

I was doing some experimenting with my A600 via Composite and my A500 Mini which uses HDMI.

Amiga 600 Composite:

A500 Mini HDMI with CD32 version of the game:

Amiga 600 Composite:

A500 Mini HDMI:

There is a difference, but it doesn't look to be huge to my eye? Should I expect similar from the above expansion card?

The only thing with the Composite image was a slight wobble almost glowing effect on the pixels. When you noticed it, it was very obvious, but when concentrating on what you were doing you didn't really see it. I'm guessing this is normal for Composite connections? And that the expansion card and HDMI would get rid of this?
Old 27 August 2023, 10:35   #5
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatt View Post
https://www.retropassion.co.uk/produ...1mb-expansion/

Hi, considering this expansion for my A600. I understand I'd need to buy a Raspberry Pi Zero also. The Piehut doesn't seem to have them in stock, so not sure if they are hard to get currently?

My main interest is the HDMI port. But I'd like to know a little more about this.

My LED TV (4k) has a composite in, which is how I've been connecting the Amiga currently. Would the HDMI offer any sort of improved picture? I know there are some widget for things like the N64 or Gamecube which improve the picture and make it look better.

Or is it simply a case of being more convenient with the HDMI connection and no change in picture quality?

Thanks.
We have a couple of Pi Zero's if required. HDMI solution gets the signal direct from Denise so it not going through any conversion etc. Small TV's are better.
Old 28 August 2023, 11:56   #6
Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPassionUK View Post
We have a couple of Pi Zero's if required. HDMI solution gets the signal direct from Denise so it not going through any conversion etc. Small TV's are better.
Awesome. How much are the Pi Zero’s are they on your site? Curious does the Pi Zero W or 2 W work as well?

Also, does the Composite out still work with this mod? And I assume all video output works with the HDMI. I see some other HDMI setups only have hi res out out on HDMI such as the Vampire 2 and you have to switch to Composite for games.

I also see you offer the Sony CXA1145 video IC as part of the recapping service. Again I’m assuming this wouldn’t cause any problems with the hdmi mod? It would be nice to keep options open on what I could connect the Amiga up too.

Thanks.
Old 28 August 2023, 12:32   #7
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatt View Post
Awesome. How much are the Pi Zero’s are they on your site? Curious does the Pi Zero W or 2 W work as well? Pi Zero with SD card is £24.99

Also, does the Composite out still work with this mod? And I assume all video output works with the HDMI. I see some other HDMI setups only have hi res out out on HDMI such as the Vampire 2 and you have to switch to Composite for games.

The piggy will push everything through HDMI, annd composite and RGB will still output.

I also see you offer the Sony CXA1145 video IC as part of the recapping service. Again I’m assuming this wouldn’t cause any problems with the hdmi mod? It would be nice to keep options open on what I could connect the Amiga up too.

Yes it causes no issues, you will have an option of 3 outputs.

Thanks.
Thanks!

Last edited by RetroPassionUK; 28 August 2023 at 13:56.