English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 October 2004, 17:49   #101
oldpx

What happened to the thread name? I don't see one.

Old 31 October 2004, 18:32   #102
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burseg
What happened to the thread name? I don't see one.
Yeah, I don't see one either
Old 31 October 2004, 18:54   #103
Marcuz

it appears that upon the merging the thread name, scarey games, was deleted
Old 31 October 2004, 19:45   #104
Peanutuk

Spooky!!
Old 12 November 2004, 22:46   #105
adamst85

Darkseed 1 & 2 (1 I completed)
I Have No Mouth and Must Scream - great adventure - Try It
Alone in the Dark 1,2,3, New Nightmare
Alien vs Predator (heh Alien on radar but where the hell is it....groarrr
and
Maxwell Manor - 8 bit atari - arcade / adventure with great climate
Ecstatica was great too - werewolf is coming !!
Old 14 November 2004, 03:23   #106
Hillsy_

Scary games try these:

Alien Vs Predator 1 + 2 (PC)
Project Zero (PS2/XBOX)
Silent Hill 2 (PS2/XBOX)
Elvira(Amiga) - First sight killing the vampire with the stake. Very memorable.
Alien Vs Predator (Jaguar) - Best game on Jag. Play as the Marine.
The Thing (XBOX/PC)
Resident Evil 3 - Not really scary, but good use of the Nemesis to keep the tension up.

I would probably go with the first three. Ah! damn their all good. Always remember killing the vampire in Elvira...watching as she twists and turns as she dies. Impressive even for the Amiga.

Last edited by Paul; 14 November 2004 at 15:38.
Old 16 November 2004, 15:42   #107
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-Zark-7
Still a great shame that Resident Evil 4 will only be for the 5 people out there who own Gamecubes! =Capcom!
And victory for common sense with the wonderful news that Resident Evil 4 will finally be going multi-format which is what should've happened in the first place.
Their work is going to be cut out to regain the survival horror throne, but screenshots to date & hints at change in direction,(ie:not set in raccoon city ala Outbreak & co.), are steps in the right direction.
Old 16 November 2004, 19:21   #108
Tolismlf

most scary games/spooky i ever played:

Clive Barker's Undying PC
Dark Seed Amiga
Shadow of the Comet PC
Parasite eve 2 PSX
Resident evil 3 PSX
Silent hill PSX
Old 17 November 2004, 21:37   #109
Marcuz

ghostbusters! when you go down the well, you can really feel alone in the red bwels of the town
Old 22 November 2004, 13:15   #110
mintsauce82

For me, Nightbreed is by far the scariest game on any format. I know that everyone's thinking that there are far scarier games than that, but when i first played Nightbreed i was about 10 years old and it somehow scarred me for life. The visuals, sound effects and general storyline still freak me out like nothing else, my heart pounds and i start shaking whenever i see it.
Old 28 November 2004, 04:42   #111
BippyM
Global Moderator

There are some intersting games in this thread now, maybe it's time to go check some out
Old 28 November 2004, 13:32   #112
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Doom 3 is pretty scarey - it got to me a few times. My friend refuses to play it because it makes me so uncomfortable. Manhunt is scarey, as is System Shock 2, a wonderful game that is destroyed by its flawed ending. Parts of Thief 2 are scarey too, as are parts of Painkiller.

On Amiga, my scarey games are Waxworks, Personal Nightmare, Ooze, and the Elvira adventures.

My god, this thread brings back the memories.
Old 06 December 2004, 06:32   #113
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Nice one Muzkat. Even parts of Thief 1 had the odd moment or two-esp. towards the very end of the game-areas you did NOT want to waste time in!
Old 12 December 2004, 09:20   #114
WallacetheBruce

What adult on this planet gets scared of games? Dear o dear o.....

Old 12 December 2004, 13:07   #115
amigaade
Zone Friend

I don't thing you really needed todays graphics capabilities to scare people, I remember laughing at mates playing 3D DEATHCHASE on the humble Spectrum. Watching them jerking from side to side to avoid the trees, as if they were real. Unknowingly doing the same myself!!!
Or, ducking down when they hit a 6 on a cricket game, when the ball came towards the screen. However playing DOOM on PSX with a very atmospheric soundtrack was a bit chilling and playing HALO when the 'invisible' covenant would appear in front of you caused quite a bit of 'clenching'.
Old 03 September 2005, 13:27   #116
petza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D`Wrecker
Hi everyone! Matt D`Wrecker ere! Just finding my way round this place!

Hmm! Don`t know about being scared directly by a game. A genuinely scary thing to me is the realisation, when you have spent good money on a game, and valuable time playing it, to find out it is UTTER CRAP! The horrible realisation that you have wasted an hour or two of your life playing some third rate dross, when you could have been doing something worthwhile...like watching paint dry or sticking my CD's in chronological order (no offence to anyone who genuinely digs that stuff)

Example: let's see...Total Carnage! Anyone played that? If you have... UNLUCKY! What's scary about it is that someone somewhere spent time making it What's worse is I spent time playing it :eek Anyone else out there suffered a similar experence?

total carnage was cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaade
I don't thing you really needed todays graphics capabilities to scare people, I remember laughing at mates playing 3D DEATHCHASE on the humble Spectrum. Watching them jerking from side to side to avoid the trees, as if they were real. Unknowingly doing the same myself!!!
Or, ducking down when they hit a 6 on a cricket game, when the ball came towards the screen. However playing DOOM on PSX with a very atmospheric soundtrack was a bit chilling and playing HALO when the 'invisible' covenant would appear in front of you caused quite a bit of 'clenching'.
your right me and my m8's used to swing side to side when we were playing afterburner on the spec it went warp speed 5

the ps1 had the best version of doom
it was pitch black and there were faint babys crying,u could hear the bast monsters but never see them the darkness made it scary,if u turn out the lights and play at night and crankup the volume it makes it awesome.
i was too scared to go into the dark areas

the scareist game ive ever played is the thing on the xbox
huge monsters just rip the doors of the hinges and charge towards u
theres no where to hide they hunt u down,theres blood everywhere its up the walls.
the end of game boss is biggest boss i ever seen in the past 30 years hes friggen HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!

CHECK OUT THESE SCREEN SHOTS
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/...s.html?page=47

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/...s.html?page=43

Last edited by petza; 03 September 2005 at 13:49.
Old 03 September 2005, 17:27   #117
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray
I remember playing "It came from the desert" the first time on my amiga...
This thing really scared me. Especially the music in this one, i never again played a game in which music created such a tense atmosphere. When you looked at the map-screen - there was always the feeling of "something lurking out there"...
And these occasional encounters with the giant ants (on the farm eg), the ultra-hard escape from the hospital (i always thought this one would cause my first heart-attack) and the general feeling that you alone knew of those monsters...

This one was the scariest Amiga game for me!
OMG I totally agree with this post from the past, hi cray ! Also Alien Breed 2. Another game that scared me quite a lot was one I was really expecting to be released. I got so disappointed when it came out it was scary. The game was Outrun. (the Amiga version...)
Old 06 September 2005, 11:25   #118
Shrub

Metroid Prime. The game oozes freakiness, it especially shocked me when going into the labs in the ice zone. Metroid III was quite freaky too, but mostly because you feel so claustrophobic in there.

Maniac Mansion. I thought I was the only one scared of this game. When I first went into the Kitchen too soon and found Edna (or was it the young one?) routing in the fridge.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It was the first 3D adventure game I had played which probably added to the fear effect, but the Forest Temple dungeon as fully grown Link was freaky, as well as exploring the King's Tomb and Ganon's Hyrule City. Who new zombies could be scary. Amazing game that despite the camp elements.
Old 01 December 2006, 21:15   #119
Relo Kick

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was going to start a new one with exactly the same topic so I thought it made sense to reply here.

I had a few games that scared the shit outta me on the Amiga, I was about 8when I played these titles too! Games didn't have age ratings on back then, kinda wrong really considering some of the graphic gore in the games. The games that stand out are:

Personal Nightmare (The whole atmosphere in this game was terrifying, the fact that if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time you would get killed without warning was unsettling. The Screens that followed your death were also some of the goriest images I ever saw on the Amiga)

Weird Dreams (Another seriously twisted game, it wasn't so much the gore that was scary, more the storyline itself and the sheer weirdness of each screen. Also the sound effects, music and surgeon screens when you died were quite haunting)

It Came From The Desert (MUSIC!! That was what made this game scary! The storyline was more sci-fi than horror I guess but the atmosphere was intense due to the in game music and sound effects. Trust me, play this one with the lights off!)

There the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Old 01 December 2006, 21:19   #120
BippyM
Global Moderator

Hey revive these old babies (esp this as it's one of my first threads)

I love scarey games and I though F.E.A.R built the tension nicely!