English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 08 August 2020, 11:54   #1
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

ECS Black Border

Hi

Is there a way of setting the black border in Blitz for ECS/AGA when using the Slice Library?

(I know Displaylib is more powerful but the Slice lib is working better for the next game, and it's now about 50% complete!)

Cheers
Old 09 August 2020, 18:10   #2
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

i can see its BPLCON3 can i just MOVE to it?
Old 09 August 2020, 20:05   #3
Thomas Richter

Nope. VideoControl() does that. It is a function of the graphics.library.
Old 11 August 2020, 11:14   #4
Daedalus

There shouldn't be that much involved in switching from Slices to DisplayLib, but I'm curious about what works better under Slices. I haven't found anything under Slices that I couldn't do under DisplayLib, but then again I'm sure there's plenty of functionality I haven't used in both libraries.
Old 11 August 2020, 11:46   #5
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
There shouldn't be that much involved in switching from Slices to DisplayLib, but I'm curious about what works better under Slices. I haven't found anything under Slices that I couldn't do under DisplayLib, but then again I'm sure there's plenty of functionality I haven't used in both libraries.
You're probably right. And i used displaylib for JetHunt. But i do like that i can do a fade by just typing fadein. And things like Displaycontrols are fiddly. Also i couldnt get 2 screens to display together without a massive gap between unlike in Slices.

And I'm using colsplit on colour 0. That's why I'm looking to black out the border.
Old 11 August 2020, 13:04   #6
Daedalus

Yeah, doing the same things with the DisplayLib are a little more involved, but wrapping a couple of loops in functions for doing the fades might be suitable. ColSplit is easy to replace too, DisplayRGB does essentially the same thing. I'm not sure about the gap thing. There is a chipset limitation involved - the time it takes to load a new copperlist and reset everything (palette etc.), so from memory you need at least 3 blank lines between displays, regardless of how they're generated. You can even see this between Intuition screens if you drag them down. If you had a larger gap, maybe something different was causing it - a deeper display perhaps, or using some AGA modes or features that take longer to reset as a result?
Old 11 August 2020, 16:21   #7
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

True. Its laziness on my part really. But i did have a big issue getting the displays to line up with small gaps. I miss the way Amos did it for screens if I'm honest. You could even move them up and down over other screens!
Old 21 March 2021, 10:53   #8
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

So a bump. Is there a way to blank the border when using the slice lib? Like maybe a MOVE to the register of something?

I'd like to add this as an option to our older games without having to convert them to Displaylib...
Old 22 March 2021, 13:09   #9
Daedalus

I'm not sure if poking the registers is enough - I think they get rewritten at the start of each frame, so you need to include a copper instruction to set it as you need at the top of each frame. I can't remember if the Slice Library includes copper control commands that could do the job.