English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 July 2019, 11:09   #1

EXE On Amiga?

I always though exe were an unknown language to the amiga was never a big demos fan.but look like demos are packaged this way.

Few Things

1. I Notice tinylauncher can play them any other programs i know winuae can too but real hardware here.

2. Are the exe files just a wrapper for disk images that can be written back or goteked

Solved

Last edited by 512k; 15 July 2019 at 17:18.
Old 15 July 2019, 11:35   #2
britelite

Quote:
2. Are the exe files just a wrapper for disk images that can be written back or goteked
No, exe is just a file extension to signal the user that it's an executable file. So you can just copy the file to a disk and run it from there.
Old 15 July 2019, 13:05   #3
Solo Kazuki

I suppose OP mistake PC executables with Amiga executables...
Old 15 July 2019, 16:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
No, exe is just a file extension to signal the user that it's an executable file. So you can just copy the file to a disk and run it from there.
So a simple job of a bootable floppy and created a startup-sequence and pointing it to the executable.

@solo

Not really just not seen an amiga file with an exe extention as stated above atleast in the golden days even alot of our music disks didn't use them.

Sorry but anyone first reaction would be what a pc executable doing on a amiga not possible without dos pc

Last edited by 512k; 15 July 2019 at 16:34.
Old 15 July 2019, 17:08   #5
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512k View Post
Not really just not seen an amiga file with an exe extention as stated above atleast in the golden days even alot of our music disks didn't use them.
As britelite said .exe is just extension, nothing more. You can use it or not on Amiga. You probably not use HD on Amiga?

Music disks are often in NoDOS custom diskformat, so no files at all. If there are files, there is at least one executable file, just probably without .exe extension.

Quote:
So a simple job of a bootable floppy and created a startup-sequence and pointing it to the executable.
Yes.
Old 15 July 2019, 17:17   #6

@solo

You probably not use HD on Amiga?

Yup for a long while that was true did get a hd eventually but it was your normal game installers

While i agree music disks were ndos not all were i was able to grab the .mod half the time and play it from hdd.

None the less thanx again to everyone in this thread but this matter can now be marked as

Solved