English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 19 June 2007, 00:46   #1
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

1.2 to 1.3 updates, plus another q. [problems with SPS CMP dat]

Hello, let me just start out with a big thanks to Belgarath (David Eddings fan? ) and eLowar (erm- no idea ) for the work on and hosting of GBA.

I have been away for awhile and have mostly version 1.2 of the main files. I see eLowar is hosting complete packages and 1.3 to 1.4 updates, but I would like to know if there is anywhere I can get 1.2 to 1.3 updates so I don't have to hammer his server for the full files where updates would work. This is not for the games themselves of course as I see a 1.2 to 1.3 update for those in the misc section, just the other main files. Thanks.

Also, I have the TOSEC SPS collection (3/9/07). I would have guessed this would be sufficient for GBA, but using the SPS datfile on eLowar's site, CMPro seems to recognize very few of them, those having wrong names of course due to GBA having a different naming scheme. Is there something I may be doing wrong?
Old 19 June 2007, 11:49   #2
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qun Mang
Hello, let me just start out with a big thanks to Belgarath (David Eddings fan? ) and eLowar (erm- no idea ) for the work on and hosting of GBA.
Hmm, should I explain... nah, maybe later

Quote:
I have been away for awhile and have mostly version 1.2 of the main files. I see eLowar is hosting complete packages and 1.3 to 1.4 updates, but I would like to know if there is anywhere I can get 1.2 to 1.3 updates so I don't have to hammer his server for the full files where updates would work. This is not for the games themselves of course as I see a 1.2 to 1.3 update for those in the misc section, just the other main files. Thanks.
I got rid of all the old updates cause it was too messy. As long as you get them one at a time it's really no problem if you just get the Complete packs in your situation.

Quote:
Also, I have the TOSEC SPS collection (3/9/07). I would have guessed this would be sufficient for GBA, but using the SPS datfile on eLowar's site, CMPro seems to recognize very few of them, those having wrong names of course due to GBA having a different naming scheme. Is there something I may be doing wrong?
Not sure about that... Belgarath?
Old 19 June 2007, 11:57   #3
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Yeh don't worry about elowar's server, it can take the load

There wasn't much time between the 1.2 and 1.3 releases, but 1.4 was almost a year later so it was pretty much assumed everyone interested would have 1.3 by now. Where have you been, mars?

I don't even have the update packs anymore, but if you're really against downloading the full packs you could always come on irc.abime.net #mage and i'll see what i can do.

re: the sps stuff...Are you scanning or rebuilding? All the sps will have the wrong name, you need to rebuild them for them to work with GameBase Amiga properly, and I tested the dat file myself it should recognise most of them.

Oh and I'm not a fan of David Eddings, David Eddings is a fan of me.

Last edited by Belgarath; 19 June 2007 at 12:36.
Old 19 June 2007, 11:59   #4
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath

Last edited by eLowar; 19 June 2007 at 12:50. Reason: corrected Belgarath's embarrassing error in his quote
Old 19 June 2007, 17:58   #5
Boulder

Quote:
I don't even have the update packs anymore, but if you're really against downloading the full packs you could always come on irc.abime.net #mage and i'll see what i can do.
If the OP happens to use eMule, I've created a complete GameBase v1.4 package which is shared there.
Old 19 June 2007, 22:01   #6
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar
I got rid of all the old updates cause it was too messy. As long as you get them one at a time it's really no problem if you just get the Complete packs in your situation.
Okay, I have no problem with that- just remember you said it was okay!

Quote:
re: the sps stuff...Are you scanning or rebuilding? All the sps will have the wrong name, you need to rebuild them for them to work with GameBase Amiga properly, and I tested the dat file myself it should recognise most of them.
I tried scanning, then rebuilding. Then I started over after realizing there was a lot of stuff in the zips besides the .ipfs. Still, CMPro did not recognize a good chunk (more than half!) of the files, claiming they were "unneeded." This from the official TOSEC set which I had verified with CMPro just a couple days ago. Anyway, I did dig out a Gamebase SPS 1.3 set, so I rebuilt most of the missing files from there. Still missing several in the 2600s and 2700s (oddly enough one of the 0349 images as well), presumably part of the 1.4 update. I guess I will have to patiently await someone to upload those to the newsgroups since they are not hosted at eLowar's site. I suppose the titles at least are available in the .adf collection anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder
If the OP happens to use eMule, I've created a complete GameBase v1.4 package which is shared there.
I don't have it installed, but if you have the package separated so I could download just the SPS files (1.4 update preferably) I could be convinced to install it. Likewise, if there are any torrents out there where I can select the specific files I want rather than one giant download that would be helpful as well. Otherwise, as I said most are likely available as adfs anyway so it's not a huge deal.

Quote:
Old 20 June 2007, 01:34   #7
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Okay, I have no problem with that- just remember you said it was okay!
Traffic is okay, it's mostly just a problem if people get too many files at once and especially if they use download accelerators that open a million connections per file.

Quote:
I tried scanning, then rebuilding. Then I started over after realizing there was a lot of stuff in the zips besides the .ipfs. Still, CMPro did not recognize a good chunk (more than half!) of the files, claiming they were "unneeded." This from the official TOSEC set which I had verified with CMPro just a couple days ago. [...]
This bit doesn't make sense because the official TOSEC dats come from the same source (Belgarath). I don't see how checksums couldn't match, and of course I rebuilt my own set from the TOSEC set just as well. Could you check the CRC32 of some of the files it doesn't recognize for you (easiest way is to use the About window in CMP -- just drag decompressed files onto it -- or see inside your favorite archiver) and see if they're not in the dat (just open with a text editor and search)?

Quote:
I don't have it installed, but if you have the package separated so I could download just the SPS files (1.4 update preferably) I could be convinced to install it. Likewise, if there are any torrents out there where I can select the specific files I want rather than one giant download that would be helpful as well. Otherwise, as I said most are likely available as adfs anyway so it's not a huge deal.
I'd suggest breaking up the discussion about SPS acquisition (here in public on EAB that is) at this point before it results in trouble. Just a friendly reminder of the rules.
Old 20 June 2007, 03:56   #8
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

Quote:
...Could you check the CRC32 of some of the files it doesn't recognize for you (easiest way is to use the About window in CMP -- just drag decompressed files onto it -- or see inside your favorite archiver) and see if they're not in the dat (just open with a text editor and search)?
I will take a look.

Quote:
I'd suggest breaking up the discussion about SPS acquisition (here in public on EAB that is) at this point before it results in trouble. Just a friendly reminder of the rules.
No problem- as I said it's not a huge deal anyway as they all should have .adf counterparts anyway. Just the "pokerom" syndrome.
Old 20 June 2007, 04:22   #9
Boulder

The package I created doesn't have the SPS files for the reason stated by eLowar It is a large file, a bit over 2GB. As you were asking about updating to v1.4, I offered the package. It's there for anyone to download should they need it
Old 20 June 2007, 04:25   #10
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder
The package I created doesn't have the SPS files for the reason stated by eLowar It is a large file, a bit over 2GB. As you were asking about updating to v1.4, I offered the package. It's there for anyone to download should they need it
Very much appreciated by the way. Sorry I got side-tracked by the forum rules when you first mentioned it.
Old 20 June 2007, 04:31   #11
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

I never should have asked, sorry. I recently noticed when reading through some things that the SPS project doesn't like the files distributed. Before I had just assumed that since the .adf files were on the official site, there wouldn't be a problem with the SPS games. I stand corrected.

Quote:
...Could you check the CRC32 of some of the files it doesn't recognize for you (easiest way is to use the About window in CMP -- just drag decompressed files onto it -- or see inside your favorite archiver) and see if they're not in the dat (just open with a text editor and search)?
Okay, I tried to check as you asked and I ran into the real problem. Going by the SPS numbers, apparently the TOSEC dat has a bunch of games that aren't even in the GBA dat. For example:

Zork II - The Wizard of Frobozz r48 (1986)(Infocom)[2542]
Zoom! (1988)(Discovery)[1910]
Zool 2 (1993)(Gremlin)(AGA)[compilation Commodore Combat][2427]
Zool (1992)(Gremlin)[compilation Award Winners Gold Edition][2426]
XTreme Racing Data Disks v2.0 (1996)(Black Magic)[data disk][1807]

If I were to look I am sure I would find the reverse is true as well. This is really strange. The datfile says it is from March 9 of this year. The SPS doesn't say, but the file itself is dated less than two months later. Did the SPS remove a bunch of games from their database, or are they not yet a part of the GBA database for some reason? Hmm.

Last edited by Qun Mang; 20 June 2007 at 05:54.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:00   #12
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

You have to realise that while the tosec sps dat recognises all the ipf's that are "out there", the gb amiga one doesn't because it's totally overkill, there's no need for multiple sps versions of the same game associated in gamebase.

For instance, Zork II isn't there because the zork trilogy 2042 is.
Zool 2 aga 2427 isn't there because 0415 is there already etc etc.

So yes there's always going to be a bunch that aren't recognised but overall it shouldn't be that large of a percentage.

I've no idea what happened with Zoom! though, seems it got left out by accident.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:01   #13
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
I've no idea what happened with Zoom! though, seems it got left out by accident.

Shoddy.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:08   #14
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Says the ape with ooooooh how many whdload mistakes did I have to point out to you?
Old 20 June 2007, 12:41   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

They weren't mistakes, they were deliberate errors to ensure that GameBase was being implemented properly.

Well done, you've passed!
Old 20 June 2007, 17:00   #16
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

Quote:
You have to realise that while the tosec sps dat recognises all the ipf's that are "out there", the gb amiga one doesn't because it's totally overkill, there's no need for multiple sps versions of the same game associated in gamebase.
Okay, point taken. And I understand there are some present in GBA SPS but not TOSEC simply because the GBA dat is newer than the TOSEC dat. Next TOSEC dat update will have them of course. Sounds like an end to this topic- thanks.
Old 20 June 2007, 21:32   #17
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Arrow Boulder's post about eMule package moved to new thread.

I moved Boulder's post with the eMule link to a new thread. Find it at the top of the forum list, as I made it sticky.