English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 01 March 2013, 11:50   #1
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

Amiga gfx mode, i need some hints...

i want to program a game for amiga in blitz basic (the ".c" option is too difficult for now)

and i have some questions
(in the past i've created some homebrew for gba,and for morphos with opengl but nothing for the amiga classic, so maybe some questions are noobish)

in my game i have a palette of 140 colors, so 8 bitplanes, but if i want to go for 2 playfields what colors remains?

assuming in the first i use 3 bitplanes(8 colors) i can use only 5 bitplanes for the other playfield?

in this manner i can use only 32+8 colors on an aga display....

or maybe i can mantain the 256 palette for the screen bui i must use only 8 color for the bkg and the rest for the foreground?

if i want to use all the palette colors and mantain 2 playfield i must "merge" 2 differernt playfield on "the fly" and display the result as one bitmap? (it is feasible on a vanilla 1200?)

another question, the sprite palette is extra the bkg palette or they are the same?
Old 01 March 2013, 16:45   #2
leathered

Hi Raislin.
I had the same conundrum a short while back, penning out the various alternatives: 4+4, 2+6, 1+7... Unfortunately it's not quite as flexible as that regarding playfields - it's 4 + 4 I'm afraid, you can't gain extra by limiting yourself, although in theory if you go for less than 4 it should still be faster (?). So it's a maximum of 16(15) colours each. You can however have a different palette for each playfield, and then another for the sprites.
The Amiga is versatile, you can use sprites to form the second 'playfield' (16 cols) and have up to 256 cols for the foreground - 16 of those will be used for the sprites. You can also use the copper to generate a varied palette for the background, a very interesting (and to me very tricky) peice of kit for the real experts.
More bitplanes can slow down your game engine. 7 bitplanes would give you 128 colours, you might have to experiment and make some compromises to get your game up to speed.
Pending a better answer which I pray proves me wrong...
Anyway, I hope you go for it
Old 01 March 2013, 18:21   #3
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lielo View Post
Hi Raislin.
I had the same conundrum a short while back, penning out the various alternatives: 4+4, 2+6, 1+7... Unfortunately it's not quite as flexible as that regarding playfields - it's 4 + 4 I'm afraid, you can't gain extra by limiting yourself, although in theory if you go for less than 4 it should still be faster (?). So it's a maximum of 16(15) colours each. You can however have a different palette for each playfield, and then another for the sprites.
The Amiga is versatile, you can use sprites to form the second 'playfield' (16 cols) and have up to 256 cols for the foreground - 16 of those will be used for the sprites. You can also use the copper to generate a varied palette for the background, a very interesting (and to me very tricky) peice of kit for the real experts.
More bitplanes can slow down your game engine. 7 bitplanes would give you 128 colours, you might have to experiment and make some compromises to get your game up to speed.
Pending a better answer which I pray proves me wrong...
Anyway, I hope you go for it

ok, thanks for the good advices
i will try to think more "creative"

no pain , no gain ^_^