English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 November 2009, 02:56   #1
Photon

Anyone used this RGB converter with a WXGA LCD?

Hope it's ok to post an ebay link here.

Was looking for something else and found this,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

with support for consoles. I'm a bit skeptical to the 3D motion detection crap, but... looks small-ish, operates on 5V...

What do you guys think?

Could I put it inside an A1200 and get some form of point-of-sale panel or small enough PC screen to make an A1200 "laptop"?
Old 02 November 2009, 10:24   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

This is a Cypress CM-397 and it is WXGA compatible.

It automatically converts 50Hz PAL screens to 60Hz which makes it compatible with LCD screens which do not usually sync below 56Hz but the scan rate conversion results in jerky scrolling

It is not a 24-bit scandoubler which results in colour loss on AGA Amiga's.

It is external so there is an extra conversion "Digital->Analog->Digital->Analog" which will result in a lower quality picture than an internal scandoubler.

You'd be much better off with an Indivision AGA 1200 (but as you said in another thread they are sold out )

Last edited by alexh; 02 November 2009 at 10:37.
Old 02 November 2009, 10:57   #3
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
This is a Cypress CM-397 and it is WXGA compatible.

LCD screens which do not usually sync below 56Hz but the scan rate conversion results in jerky scrolling
And a great surprise for me was to find out that my BenQ started to sync from 44 Hz to 51, then 59-61 and 74-75. So it's always worth testing!
Old 02 November 2009, 17:38   #4
Photon

Hm. Yeah, was fooled by this, "All the legacy RGB devices with analog outputs at 15Khz horizontal plus 50/60Hz vertical frequency range can be up converted nicely at high resolution on CRT/LCD/TFT monitor, projector or LCD TV via VGA connection.".

Saw now that it does have scan rate conversion, which probably means 50Hz will look crap despite promises to "ensure sharp and glitch-free picture display on the monitor or projector".

As I mentioned in the other thread, don't understand why Jens/I.C. don't make batch after batch after batch of Indivision 1200, they'd sell like hotcakes.
Old 02 November 2009, 18:18   #5
Shadowfire

Three possible explanations:
1. They don't sell nearly as well as you think, and another production run wouldn't make enough money to be worth it.
2. They're in the process of making another production run (quoting, choosing assembler/board house, etc)
3. There is another revision planned which makes the old board obsolete.
Old 02 November 2009, 20:05   #6
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
1. They don't sell nearly as well as you think, and another production run wouldn't make enough money to be worth it.
2. They're in the process of making another production run (quoting, choosing assembler/board house, etc)
Anything's possible. But if any of the reasons are true, they can't complain about not making money, to bluntify it a little. It is indeed a fine and popular expansion. I think it's no understatement to say they sold well despite a too-high-to-afford-for-many price.

If you want me to answer each point:
1. Well, perhaps this might be true in (60Hz) USA, where alternatives are easier to find. But I doubt it in PAL-land... reasons: fewer and fewer CRTs kept, more and more flatscreens bought (than say in 2006) and the trend isn't changing, sadly (since I love a good CRT). Initial development costs will not change, and doing a repeat batch would reduce this even if the profit is 1€ per board, if that's the reason.

I grant that you're onto something if the component or assembly prices have doubled everywhere recently. But then they would have doubled for Indivision ECS too...

2. I hope so! But why can't they make them where they make their other products? And it's been 3 years since the last batch, hasn't it?

3. Can't imagine what that'd be, but I'd love to hear some thoughts from you. More modes which no software utilizes? (I have a thing for exaggeration today...) Better quality picture? Smaller size?

Stopping selling hotcakes while developing Hotcake 2.0? When has that ever happened in the history of sales?

But at least 3. would explain the current ECS and 4000/CD32 support and lack of support for A1200. But I still know a bunch of guys who would buy an Indivision 1200 OLD REVISION in a split second at 150€! So there would still be profit to be made, for example to float development costs for the new revision...
Old 02 November 2009, 20:43   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If they ever hope to sell CloneA boards they may see scandoublers as a threat to future business??
Old 02 November 2009, 21:12   #8
Photon

Well, Minimig have probably already been sold in more numbers than he could expect to lose in Indivision sales. And again, I think the lack of support for AGA is the key; why leave it out and sell the others? ECS machines are as big a threat to Clone-A as AGA machines, and there are more ECS machines out there.

Edit: and why a single A4000/CD32 batch at all? The number of users of those is even smaller than AGA and OCS/ECS. A much more sure fire way of losing money than a repeat batch of the big seller <-- I have no statistics, ofc.

Last edited by Photon; 02 November 2009 at 22:07.
Old 04 November 2009, 04:26   #9
Photon

Conclusion: The Clone-A that Individual Computers are making is a complete A1200 [motherboard] replacement that connects to any VGA screen. No competition with Minimig. No competition from themselves from A1200 owners connecting to VGA screens via Indivision 1200.
Old 04 November 2009, 06:39   #10
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
4. Some critical component is sold out and so Individual Computers cannot make another batch.

5. The copper board manufacturer is flooded with contracts and can't deliver new boards for a while.