English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 August 2009, 12:55   #1
lost_lemming

Thumbs down hi, n00b question. about A1200 to VGA flatscreen

Hi Im new, probably a nothing-new scenario for you guys here but, Basically, I brought down my A1200 from the loft to have a nostelgic blast. The big bulky monitor was thrown out a long time ago. I have this CTX monitor that i've been using for this PC for long time now.

Anyway, I bought this adapter from amigakit. It's a socket (no idea the name of that rectangle socket) for the back of the miggy to a VGA d-bus socket. anyway when I tried it, all i got was a blackscreen, I'm devistated! as all I wanted to do was play a few games to bring back my childhood memories

any idea? this flatscreen has its own menu setup system but it only works when it knows there's a VGA input and I just wasn't getting anything.
Old 23 August 2009, 14:44   #2
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_lemming View Post
Hi Im new, probably a nothing-new scenario for you guys here but, Basically, I brought down my A1200 from the loft to have a nostelgic blast. The big bulky monitor was thrown out a long time ago. I have this CTX monitor that i've been using for this PC for long time now.

Anyway, I bought this adapter from amigakit. It's a socket (no idea the name of that rectangle socket) for the back of the miggy to a VGA d-bus socket. anyway when I tried it, all i got was a blackscreen, I'm devistated! as all I wanted to do was play a few games to bring back my childhood memories

any idea? this flatscreen has its own menu setup system but it only works when it knows there's a VGA input and I just wasn't getting anything.
Greetings,
It will relate to what the Amiga can output Vs what the monitor can display, standard Amiga output is 15 Khz, scandoubled is 31 Khz, check the monitor specs, it won't go that low. Look around the board for similar issues.

Paul
Old 23 August 2009, 15:25   #3
lost_lemming

ok just found out it's

Horizontal: 22to 80kHz
Vertical: 59 to 75Hz

damnit. Okay I'll search around. I guess I'll need a another monitor
Old 23 August 2009, 16:36   #4
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I am quite sure there are some old "multisync" PC monitors that work ok without a scandoubler/flicker fixer .... i know they display workbench fine but i *think* there is an issue running games on them without a scan doubler?
Old 23 August 2009, 16:54   #5
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hello lost_lemming, welcome to the EAB - I hope you enjoy your stay.

Yes, probably the biggest issue that comes up when recommissioning an Amiga is 'how in the hell do I get any output?'

For simplicity's sake:
No modern monitor can scan low enough to display the Amiga's output. (slight lie)
So...
-Use the TV-out (horrid)
-Pick up an old-style monitor - C= ones obviosuly, but an old multisync or Acorn monitor will do. (you'll need a Amiga-15pin adaptor)
-VGA-Scart lead to a TV / monitor that has such an input (not bad, some TV's don't like Amiga SCART leads)
-fleaBay has lots of 'av-mixer' boxes that can sort out the signals for you. Ask for advice here before you buy.
-Scan-doublers/flicker-fixers are available (just) - internal & external. These up the Amiga's output to a range modern monitors can lock onto.
-Buy an Indivision. Not cheap, but by far the best output & available new.

Then you get into home-brew projects if you feel like a little soldering...
-S-Video out hack. Good if not the best quality (I bought mine from a fellow forum member)
-There's also a recent thread about an all-singing-and-dancing external upgrade

I hope the above is a useful start to you plans.

Regards,
Old 23 August 2009, 16:59   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi I just picked up a 17inch JVC LCD TV off of ebay for £20, I use it with the scart lead and its a superb picture.

Its widescreen as well so games with the tops/bottoms chopped off can zoom up full screen. I am really pleased with it anyway!

Steve.

Heres a pic:

Last edited by fitzsteve; 04 February 2011 at 18:35.
Old 23 August 2009, 17:16   #7
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Hi I just picked up a 17inch JVC LCD TV off of ebay for £20, I use it with the scart lead and its a superb picture.

Its widescreen as well so games with the tops/bottoms chopped off can zoom up full screen. I am really pleased with it anyway!

Steve.

Heres a pic:
Not bad, .

Not 1 of JVC's most reliable sets. I used to have the same chassis in my 26" had to repair it atleast 6 times, .

I tell you what would be nice, is some type of app that zooms to visable gfx on the screen. We have this in PSPUAE, its great having the screen full instead of those stupid black borders.

(On Topic), Indivision is by far the best option, as it give crystal clear picture at any resolution supported. Obviously LCD's need to be at their native resolution to be crystal clear.
Old 23 August 2009, 21:27   #8
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I am quite sure there are some old "multisync" PC monitors that work ok without a scandoubler/flicker fixer .... i know they display workbench fine but i *think* there is an issue running games on them without a scan doubler?
Correct:

I have this adapter and it worked great for workbench in "Multiscan - Productivity" mode but you have to get that set up first. I connected it to a TV with the Composite cable to get it set up and then connected the adapter up to a multiscan (doesn't need to be multisync, they are more money and more rare) monitor.

You will not be able to play games from it, but using the utility "modePro" I was able to get all of my workbench stuff promoted correctly.

Eventually you may want to get the Indivision AGA board installed and you can run whatever resolution you want on whatever monitor you want. Well some TV's with VGA input have trouble if they are picky but monitors intended for PC use should work.
Old 23 August 2009, 21:28   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Would that be the same type of SCART lead as the one you sold me with the A500?

Looks good!
Old 23 August 2009, 21:30   #10
lost_lemming

thanks guys, appreciate the replies.

as I still want to keep this flatscreen than buying another one I;ll think i;ll save my pennies and then buy one of these double scanners
Old 23 August 2009, 21:31   #11
lost_lemming

Oh and, I have a soldering iron and wire but my skills are rubbish. I don't have to do any soldering do I? can't stand all the techy stuff I'm not that type of person
Old 23 August 2009, 21:39   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

I think Amigakit can actually supply them fitted. However, I'm not sure if that service applies to an Amiga you already own.

Those guys are usually watching these threads, so you should get an answer soon.
Old 23 August 2009, 21:45   #13
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_lemming View Post
Oh and, I have a soldering iron and wire but my skills are rubbish. I don't have to do any soldering do I? can't stand all the techy stuff I'm not that type of person
Indivision AGA is easy to install, no problems there. Well worth it if you really want to enjoy the system with no fuss and great detail.
Old 23 August 2009, 21:52   #14
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I think Amigakit can actually supply them fitted. However, I'm not sure if that service applies to an Amiga you already own.

Those guys are usually watching these threads, so you should get an answer soon.
Yes we can offer this service, .

We promptly call round your house and install it in under 30 mins, .
Nah only joking, but yes we offer a collection (if I remember correctly, matt and clear this up if im wrong), install and return service.
Old 23 August 2009, 22:46   #15
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Would that be the same type of SCART lead as the one you sold me with the A500?

Looks good!
Yep thats the same type of lead.
Old 23 August 2009, 22:50   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yep thats the same type of lead.
Thanks, mate! I wasn't sure whether it would drive an LCD TV.
Old 23 August 2009, 22:52   #17
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Thanks, mate! I wasn't sure whether it would drive an LCD TV.
As long as the TV has a scart socket you'll be fine. I think the Amiga also has a component video output (yellow phono socket) some LCD TV's also support that.
Old 23 August 2009, 22:54   #18
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
As long as the TV has a scart socket you'll be fine. I think the Amiga also has a component video output (yellow phono socket) some LCD TV's also support that.
Thanks! That's good to know.
Old 24 August 2009, 17:43   #19
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
<SNIP>. I think the Amiga also has a component video output (yellow phono socket) some LCD TV's also support that.

Slight correction: A600 and A1200 have composite output (yellow RCA socket). Component (YUV, also known as Y'UV, YCbCr, YPbPr) is a completely different beast.
Old 24 August 2009, 20:33   #20
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Slight correction: A600 and A1200 have composite output (yellow RCA socket). Component (YUV, also known as Y'UV, YCbCr, YPbPr) is a completely different beast.
Indeed, but in his defence. I have seen it reffered to as Component over here, .