English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 December 2012, 23:09   #1
Kitty

Just bought a new Kryoflux - A few questions

I received a shiny new Kryoflux today, had a few initial problems namely a Sony MPF920Z drive incompatible with the board, I did dtc -c2 in command and the drive refused to test read any track access giving me a big fat 0, soon as I tried it with an ALPS DF354H drive the Kryoflux came alive and read maxtracks 83 which I was surprised about as I heard bad things about ALPS drives and good things about the Sony drive

Anyway I'm having some teething issues, I used the adf dump command DTC -fname.adf -i5, and the drive sets off dumping rocknroll to adf for me .. A couple of minutes later it finishes telling me my shiny new disk image is complete.
Excellent it's done ... hang on wait .. hmm, where the hell did it dump the adf to?? Nope looked everywhere can't find no adf file in the Kryoflux folder or any subfolders, so where did it go to??

Anyone know what path Kryoflux is supposed to dump adf images to? Or maybe I done something wrong?

Also anyone know a link to download the UI for DTC as currently I'm dumping in command.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by Kitty; 08 December 2012 at 03:02.
Old 07 December 2012, 23:16   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Kitty,

Whenever I've dumped disks using my KryoFlux, the ADF files have always ended up in the directory I'm running the DTC executable from.

Edit: The UI is always a .jar (Java executable) file in the DTC folder of the Kryoflux archive you install the DTC from.
Old 07 December 2012, 23:47   #3
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

The Sony drive might just be too lazy to respond in time. Hence you can still try using it for dumping.

DTC will use the current directory unless you specify something else. And I really must note to make it double clear in the manual how to run the GUI. To me running .jar files is as normal as running .exe files, but apparently... I am doing this for too long. The GUI allows you to set a dumping directory.
Old 08 December 2012, 00:06   #4
Kitty

OK it seems to dump to adf with the UI, not sure what would be any different though?
Here's a couple of results dumping via the UI

Rock'nRoll original disk: two red read errors, loaded in winuae and it failed. Tried dumping it again got same errors.

Do you have any idea why I can't get it to dump correctly in command? In command I used DTC -rocknroll.adf -i5 and shows its dumping in command but no file is there after, and at the end it says 'enjoy your shiny new disk image' indicating it worked :s

mr.vince/prowler, would it effect the card if I had the floppy cable upside down?
I'm pretty sure I had it the correct way although I may of made a mistake possibly.

Last edited by Kitty; 08 December 2012 at 03:04.
Old 08 December 2012, 00:19   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Do you have any idea why I can't get it to dump correctly in command? In command I used DTC -rocknroll.adf -i5 and shows its dumping in command but no file is there after, and at the end it says 'enjoy your shiny new disk image' indicating it worked :s
Try using all relevant command line switch options (I always do), i.e., try typing DTC -frocknroll.adf -s0 -e79 -t5 -i5

That's all I can suggest, I'm afraid. I always use those or similar switches and it works for me every time!

Quote:
mr.vince/prowler, would it effect the card if I had the floppy cable upside down?

I'm pretty sure I had it the correct way although I may of made a mistake possibly.
I'm sure that the DTC -c2 command line wouldn't have calibrated the drive if you'd had the cable upside down.
Old 08 December 2012, 00:23   #6
Abaddon

I also had problems at first with dumps having errors on some tracks which I knew were good. I had to switch to the slow firmware to get reliable dumps. Just rename the firmware in the current dtc directory and copy the firmware from the slow firmware directory to the dtc directory. You will need to reset your kryoflux.
Old 08 December 2012, 00:32   #7
Kitty

I used DTC -rocknroll.adf -i5
I didn't realise you 'had' to start the image name with an f as you suggested here;
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
try typing DTC -frocknroll.adf -s0 -e79 -t5 -i5
So I just tried DTC -frocknroll.adf -i5 in command and that worked

Whats so special about the f before the image name then?

Another question how do you dump a disk with two formats on it at the same time? I have a couple of ST/Amiga Format coverdisks I want to dump. Is it possible to dump the adf and .st or .msa files at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon
You will need to reset your kryoflux.
How do you do that?

Last edited by Kitty; 08 December 2012 at 00:40.
Old 08 December 2012, 00:49   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I used DTC -rocknroll.adf -i5
I didn't realise you 'had' to start the image name with an f as you suggested here;

So I just tried DTC -frocknroll.adf -i5 in command and that worked

Whats so special about the f before the image name then?
The f before the filename is the 'switch', i.e., the 'filename' qualifier, just as the i before 5 indicates an image type.

Quote:
Another question how do you dump a disk with two formats on it at the same time? I have a couple of ST/Amiga Format coverdisks I want to dump. Is it possible to dump the adf and .st or .msa files at the same time?

How do you do that?
Yes it's possible, and I've done that many times as well. To dump a dual-format ST/Amiga coverdisk, just type DTC -fimage.adf -i5 -fimage.st -i4. AFAIK, if you want an .msa file instead, you must convert the .st file afterwards with MSA Converter or other utility.

It's all covered in the kryoFlux_manual.pdf, which is included in the drivers archive.

Edit: I always reset my KryoFlux by 'safely removing it' from the USB port on my PC and then replugging it.

Last edited by prowler; 08 December 2012 at 01:27.
Old 08 December 2012, 01:50   #9
Kitty

I tried the command DTC -fimage.adf -i5 -fimage.st -i4 and it wrote an .adf and also a .st file

I tried this on the two ST/Amiga Format disks I have (SuperDisk 10 & 11)

The amiga adf's work perfectly in WinUAE but the two .st images I made wouldn't load in STEem or Winston emulators same result on both emulators, just went back to the green desktop screen, each disk opened with 0 Bytes in them. I wonder why these didn't copy successfully?

Edit: Also tried the Sony Drive again with the floppy cable either way and it still wasn't recognised. Sometimes it's hard to know which way the floppy cable is supposed to go as some drives are laid out differently to the quick start guide, I guess this is just one of the unsupported floppy drives or maybe a faulty drive (although its a brand new drive) Sony MPF 920 Z/121
I got this drive as I heard the MPF 920's were a good drive for Kryoflux, I guess the Z versions are to be avoided

Last edited by Kitty; 08 December 2012 at 02:41.
Old 08 December 2012, 08:15   #10
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Maybe some special format (it already is if it's Amiga and ST in one). Some cover disks were even copy protected....
Old 08 December 2012, 21:25   #11
Kitty

Hmm, I'm starting to regret buying this card, the amount of disks I have now tried that have failed is becoming annoying, also the drivers keep bugging out, I have had to reinstall the drivers three times now

Last edited by Kitty; 08 December 2012 at 21:58.
Old 08 December 2012, 21:36   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Hmm, I'm starting to regret buying this card, the amount of disks I have now tried that have failed is becoming annoying, also the drivers keep bugging out, I have reinstalled the drivers three times now
When using KryoFlux, you have to stick rigidly to the instructions for assembling the components, conecting to your PC and applying the power.

In my experience, whenever the KryoFlux stops responding to commands, it is either because this has not been done properly, or I have inadvertently disconnected the power supply or ribbon cable.

I have never reinstalled my KryoFlux drivers, not even to update them. KryoFlux problems invariably go away when I 'safely remove' and then replug it. I guess an 'earth loop' is what causes them.
Old 08 December 2012, 23:54   #13
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Kitty, you're the first reporting to reinstall drivers over and over again.

Would you mind coming to the KF forums? We have all the experts there... I assume you switched USB ports? In this case yes, Windows binds devices to ports so it happens the driver gets installed a second time. Usually this should happen automatically...