English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 May 2020, 17:14   #1
FirstNE

Would this SCSI card work?

Here's the card: https://www.ebay.com/c/1484222322

My questions are:
1: would this be able to be used to read an Amiga hard disk (ie a scsi Maxtor drive)?

2. I'm not a hardware guy - so would this PCI card work in a PCI2 slot?

Thanks in advance!
Old 29 May 2020, 17:58   #2
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstNE View Post
Here's the card: https://www.ebay.com/c/1484222322

My questions are:
1: would this be able to be used to read an Amiga hard disk (ie a scsi Maxtor drive)?

2. I'm not a hardware guy - so would this PCI card work in a PCI2 slot?

Thanks in advance!
For the Elbox mediator there is a 3rd party driver for the Adaptec AHA-2940AU, AHA-2940UW, and AHA-2940UW Pro. I have not tested it myself however. It should work in a free PCI slot in your Mediator.

Link is here:

http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/aic78xx.device
Old 30 May 2020, 19:27   #3
FirstNE

OK, Thanks!
Old 23 July 2020, 17:25   #4
FirstNE

Well I finally got the AHA2940AU and installed it yesterday. I could not find a free driver for winblows 7. I thought there were a couple - but they were just come-on that you download for free but then they want $40.00 for a driver. Sorry, no go.

Thank goodness for Linux, because with a little searching I was able to mount and extract the data from 1 and 1/2 of the disks. The second disk for some reason has only 1 partition and had something called "MUI" installed on it. Now this is 28 years old, so I don't recall ever installing something called that. Any way I got all the relevant files I could off the drives and stored on my Amiga directory in winblows. Even all the code, manuals, etc for Age of Sail. Woo HOO! so now with some 30 years more experience behind me I'm going to look into resurrecting it and make it internet friendly (if I can). It looks like I had made some significant changes in 1993 that were never released, so I'll have to dig into that as well.
Old 23 July 2020, 17:41   #5
Matt_H

Archival work is fun, isn’t it? Try to get a full image of the disk using dd or such. A number of file attributes will get lost just copying the files to Windows. If you pull an image of the entire disk, then you can mount it in an emulator and work with the files in a native Amiga environment. Others here can advise on the exact command to use to do that.

MUI is a GUI toolkit. In other words, many programs use the MUI libraries as their GUI engine. Odds are that something else you installed required MUI and so it may have been installed automatically with the other program.
Old 23 July 2020, 17:42   #6
DarrenHD

Quote:
Well I finally got the AHA2940AU and installed it yesterday. I could not find a free driver for winblows 7. I thought there were a couple - but they were just come-on that you download for free but then they want $40.00 for a driver. Sorry, no go.

Thank goodness for Linux, because with a little searching I was able to mount and extract the data from 1 and 1/2 of the disks. The second disk for some reason has only 1 partition and had something called "MUI" installed on it. Now this is 28 years old, so I don't recall ever installing something called that. Any way I got all the relevant files I could off the drives and stored on my Amiga directory in winblows. Even all the code, manuals, etc for Age of Sail. Woo HOO! so now with some 30 years more experience behind me I'm going to look into resurrecting it and make it internet friendly (if I can). It looks like I had made some significant changes in 1993 that were never released, so I'll have to dig into that as well.
Awesome great you got it working. This card is also useful for upgrading the firmware for the ACards....that is what I use mine for
Old 24 July 2020, 06:48   #7
Jope
-

Quote:
32bit win7 has / can use adaptec's totally free driver. 64bit win no longer supports the 2940 series controllers. They had a good run. :-)

I also use mine under Linux.
Old 24 July 2020, 16:45   #8
FirstNE

Thanks guys!

I had to change the owner on each file in order to copy it. Amazingly some of the programs actually worked... DMCS, my Kings & Catapults game.

I now have to remember/figure out where everything goes so I can make a development environment. I know I had SAS/C - but I can't read the floppies AFAIK. I probably used it to make Age of Sail. I could not find any indication of it. I may have used gcc I got off an Aminet CD.

I had not thought of doing a dd of the disks. That's a good idea. The disks are tiny (compared to today's terrabyte disks). Weren't they HUGE though back in the day?
Old 25 July 2020, 07:15   #9
AmigaHope

This info is a little irrelevant since you got it working, but for completeness I'll explain.

Any working SCSI card should be able to read your device as long as the card supports the device's electrical operating mode (SE, HVD, or LVD). In practice most disks and cards can work in SE fallback mode except for some very old drives used strictly in servers.

The main problem is reading the RDB partition table, and decoding the operating system. Linux can read old Amiga RDB tables and FFS partitions, but will choke on modern filesystems like SFS and extended RDB tables.

You can get around this by running UAE and feeding it the raw SCSI LUN, and let a modern version of AmigaOS interpret the raw device.