English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 May 2020, 19:52   #1
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Blizzard/CyberVision Support?

Hi,

I've noticed a lot of graphics cards and accelerators coming to WinUAE which is great, my old A4000/Picasso setup (the actual 20gb HDD!) works a treat with WinUAE whis is amazing.

I was wondering if BVision/CVision support was possible or out of reach, even without the 3D?

Thanks!
Old 13 May 2020, 20:18   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Same answer as previously: Someone needs to implement chip emulation. I am not going to do it. It is not only about 3D but for example those later SVGA chips have very complex blitters.
Old 13 May 2020, 22:34   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Same answer as previously: Someone needs to implement chip emulation. I am not going to do it. It is not only about 3D but for example those later SVGA chips have very complex blitters.
Thanks for the answer, I did search but no results turned up

I have been trying to get GGX4 working with WinUAE (via PicassoIV) I can't seem to get it going, I know it's a tricky beast at the best of times but does it work to your knowledge? Assuming setup correctly.

Cheers.
Old 14 May 2020, 12:12   #4
thomas

CGX4 works well with Piccolo SD64 ZIII.

Didn't get it to work with PicassoIV, too.
Old 14 May 2020, 14:04   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
CGX4 works well with Piccolo SD64 ZIII.

Didn't get it to work with PicassoIV, too.
Thanks Thomas, I will try with the Piccolo
Old 14 May 2020, 14:13   #6
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Picasso IV works great with CGXv4. I've used this combination since support was added. I've not tried other options thinking the Picasso IV is the best of all the supported cards?

I would think Cybervision3D with the Virge would be the most likely option (if it ever is an option) to get supported as that processor is supported in other pc emus.
Old 14 May 2020, 18:06   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

PIV + CGFX4 works fine here too.

Yes, I know Virge stuff is emulated but it also have same 4M VRAM limit which does not make it any more useful than P4 or others.
Old 16 May 2020, 04:51   #8
AC/DC HACKER!

Picasso 4 and CGX4+last update functions very well with my real A4000 ad A4000 mimicked UAE config. Only difference is my A4000 has CVisionPPC (3D). The problem I had with CFX4 was in the monitors. When I returned to my A4000 and reinstalled CGX4 I was coming across the logo staying on the screen. I had to do a bit of recall to remember how to stop that. Change BOOTLOGO to YES and it'll go away once Workbench is loaded.

I use NO for my CyberVisionPPC so I can hear audio through that monitor from my Picasso 4.

I wasn't aware it has the same 4M VRAM limit. When I got my CVisionPPC I wondered what was wrong...why some games would crash. Not knowing much about the hardware, but soon realized it. Gotta have an option on in CGX4 to use it. I think it's the BITMAPCACHE.

I don't care which 3D board makes it into WinUAE, haha, as Toni has typed..whichever one is the "best" and doing well for the most. Or that was the gist I got.
Old 16 May 2020, 11:31   #9
AmigaHope

Virge is probably the best we'll get as I don't see a Permedia 2 emu anywhere in sight. Maybe PCEm's Voodoo 2 support could grow into Banshee support, since there's Amiga drivers for that.
Old 17 May 2020, 03:49   #10
AC/DC HACKER!

I like your handle. So, since there are drives for it.. I don't know much about Banshee, I'll look into it.

"The minimum hardware configuration is: an Amiga with a Voodoo Banshee graphic card installed in the Mediator PCI busboard. The minimum turbo card is 68030 with 8MB RAM."

I'm not sure this is what Toni has in mind. I'm thinking he's thinking, and I might be incorrect, more A1200 specific and A2000/3000/4000 specific. Without Mediator/Elbox??

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 17 May 2020 at 04:03.
Old 17 May 2020, 12:28   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Requirements are still the same: must support at least 16M of VRAM (32-bit 1920x1080 must fit and still have free VRAM. 8M is not enough.). Must have driver for 3.x, 4.x and m68k linux/netbsd/etc.

A1200 or A4000 isn't important. Bus type isn't important. In emulation both can have PCI bridges (and even real A1200 can have BPPC + GREX)

This requirement does not prevent some S3 based RTG board being added someday, there are some programs that directly use this chip model = it can have some use in emulation.
Old 18 May 2020, 12:06   #12
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
(and even real A1200 can have BPPC + GREX)
Or CyberStorm (Mk3 or PPC).

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/micronik1200z3
Old 22 May 2020, 22:02   #13
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
I like your handle. So, since there are drives for it.. I don't know much about Banshee, I'll look into it.

"The minimum hardware configuration is: an Amiga with a Voodoo Banshee graphic card installed in the Mediator PCI busboard. The minimum turbo card is 68030 with 8MB RAM."

Thanks for the compliment, but if I were you I don't know if I would bother. The Voodoo 2 is an overlay card that only renders 3D to a framebuffer that is then genlocked to whatever VGA card you have installed. This is what PCEm currently supports.

The Banshee is a more complex card that implements a VGA chipset *with* the Voodoo 2 chipset in one device. PCEm does not currently emulate this. To make this work you'd have to reverse engineer whatever VGA implementation 3DFX included on the card and present it in the same way.

There are Amiga drivers for the Banshee, but not the *discrete* Voodoo 2. i.e. it expects to write to the Banshee's VGA device.

EDIT: I'm using "chipset" loosely here as the whole shebang is on one piece of silicon in the Banshee. The Banshee's 3D section is actually a cut down Voodoo 2 as it has only one texture processor instead of two. Getting PCEm's Voodoo 2 3D subsystem to play nice with the Amiga drivers would probably be fairly trivial, but getting the rest of the 2D stuff working is another matter.

Last edited by AmigaHope; 22 May 2020 at 22:32.
Old 23 May 2020, 06:14   #14
AC/DC HACKER!

You're welcome for the complement. I'm putting together stuff I didn't understand in the later 90's and some 2K+ (Graphics boards).

There is always...someone that's interested in Something from the Past. That person could be past as well, current, or coming.. I sense someone will be able to help Toni at some point. Or a protege (know or not). Still..AmigaHope.