English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 11 August 2019, 19:38   #1
Jeff_Birt

How to convert LHA to ADF?

I found a program that creates video test patterns. It comes as an LHA file, which I understand is a compressed folder, like a ZIP file. I need to convert/save to an ADF so I can run this on my A500 via a Goteck with Flash Floppy. I was able to extract the files from the LHA on my PC.

Someone on a Facebook group suggested ADF Opus but it seems it acts as a front end for Disk2FDI, at least when it comes to ADF creation from a set of files. Disk2FDI is not free and both it and ADF Opus have not been updated in years so I am hesitant to support a dead project.

I have also read that you can mount the LHA in WinUAE or Amiga Forever and create an ADF from that which seems a rather cumbersome route.

I'm new to Amiga but I'm surprised there are not more tools for easily creating ADFs since they seem to be so prevalent in use. Yes, I understand an ADF is a disk image.

So, if you have a group of files you want to create an ADF from how do you do so?

Thanks for any help.
Old 11 August 2019, 19:52   #2
heavy
noodle

you can use ADFview for windows (old, don't know if works with most recent win64...)
http://www.viksoe.dk/adfview/
in the zone
Old 11 August 2019, 20:03   #3
Jeff_Birt

Thanks. That seemed to work on Win10. I was able to create a bootable ADF and even explorer other ADFs. Now to see how the ADF works on the A500.
Old 11 August 2019, 20:23   #4
heavy
noodle

for an exe only, you can use exe2adf
http://www.exe2adf.com/
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=66640
Old 11 August 2019, 21:15   #5
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
I'm new to Amiga but I'm surprised there are not more tools for easily creating ADFs since they seem to be so prevalent in use. Yes, I understand an ADF is a disk image.

So, if you have a group of files you want to create an ADF from how do you do so?
That kind of ADF creating is a hit or miss process, and can't be automated reliably. The programs distributed in LHA/LZX/Zip/etc archives are meant to be started from a Workbench environment. They usually require libraries, fonts, devices, or other resources from the (installed) operating system.

So, if you just dump them on a disk image without actual OS files, it's very likely that they won't run or don't run optimally (running programs on accelerated Amigas without Setpatch will make them slower than should etc).

If you want to create these kind of ADF images, you should know exactly what programs require and what are the minimum OS files, settings, assigns, etc you need. It differs for each program.
Old 11 August 2019, 21:36   #6
Jeff_Birt

Thanks. The program in question (TESTCARD) was very clear about what it needed, i.e. to be copied onto a initialized floppy disk. I have created the ADF and it works, at least so far it seems to as I can run it after booting to workbench. I will re-read its documentation to make sure I did not miss something though.

Next problem is two more key stems have gone non-conductive on the keyboard and one of them, the space, is used to change screens so now to do some keyboard repair.
Old 11 August 2019, 23:04   #7
amigakit.com

EasyADF supports both LHA and ADF so you can LHA the files to a virtual ADF and create that as a file.

Link to EasyADF:

http://amigakit.amiga.store/product_...roducts_id=694
Old 11 August 2019, 23:43   #8
Jeff_Birt

That is great but does not solve the problem of getting the LHA I downloaded from the PC to the A500 in order to run this software on it.
Old 12 August 2019, 00:58   #9
Jeff_Birt

Using ADFView I was able to create an empty ADF and copy the contents of the TestCard LHA into it. After reading the instructions which came with TestCard it seems that you 'can' copy it to a bootable Workbench disk and it will auto boot into the program but you don't have to. It runs fine off the ADF from the Gotek/Flashfloppy.

The issue with the keys I mentioned before was 'patched up' by swapping the key stem from every large key with a 'bail' (metal wire/bar/hinge underneath). This A500 was brand new when I got it a few months ago, it had never been out of the box. The return large return key was not working at the time so I swapped it with F10. But F10 is used by the FF selector program so when swapping out the F10 plunger with a good one someone sent me I then found the left Shift and Space Bar were not working (and of course the Space bar is used by TestCard). Ohming out each plunger showed that every key with a bail had high resistance, which seems to come from contamination due to the grease used on the bail to keycap contact area. Off to find a parts A500 Mitsumi KB now...

Thaks everyone for your help.
Old 20 January 2021, 16:31   #10
chip

Old thread but actual question

Perhaps what i am looking for it doesn't exists

Is there any Windows tool (or DOS command line) that take in input a LHA and create ADF with the files of the LHA archive ?

I mean, an automated way to convert LHA to ADF ?

This would work if LHA contains all the necessary files, of course
Old 20 January 2021, 18:43   #11
DamienD
Banned

There's no automatic tool that will do this...

Besides, even if a tool extracted an .LHA's contents to an .ADF, how is is going to:
  • Create a "S/Startup-Sequence" to load the required game EXE or app?
  • What happens if "C", "Fonts", "Libs" or other files are also required for the game EXE or app to work?
It's a manual thing I'm afraid.
Old 20 January 2021, 18:46   #12
chip

I found some LHA which contain already the necessary files

Strange to think, but these are actually disks "inside" LHA files

But i didn't want to make a manual operation (for sure i know how to create the ADF)
Old 20 January 2021, 22:12   #13
dodke

There's a tool for converting an executable + data files into an ADF. It's kind of designed originally for packaging demos or intros easily but obviously can be used for anything.
http://www.exe2adf.com/
Old 21 January 2021, 13:35   #14
daxb

A small script can automate this. Mount ADF, extract LHA to mounted ADF, finish.
Old 13 April 2021, 15:09   #15
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Will use this thread as well for my question...

Can exe2adf create an adf with more than one file and one folder on it?

if, how?
Old 13 April 2021, 17:36   #16
daxb

I would guess that it is possible. Have you tried this?:
"For the advanced usage help, execute exe2adf without any parameters."