English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 15 February 2013, 12:05   #1
PHabermehl

Using multimedia / volume keys while in FS-UAE

Hey guys,
maybe I should just read some documentation, but maybe also someone can give me a quick answer.

I'm running FS-UAE under OpenSuse 12.2 / KDE.

Now I've got a multimedia keyboard with volume control and mute keys. When FS-UAE runs, I'm not able to alter the volume or mute the sound by key.

Muting naturally works using FS-UAEs Menu screen mute button, but is there any chance to alter the volume, let's say during the emulation being paused and the volume key input forwarded to the host O.S.?

Best regards,
Peter
Old 15 February 2013, 12:12   #2
yoshi314

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHabermehl View Post
Hey guys,
maybe I should just read some documentation, but maybe also someone can give me a quick answer.

I'm running FS-UAE under OpenSuse 12.2 / KDE.

Now I've got a multimedia keyboard with volume control and mute keys. When FS-UAE runs, I'm not able to alter the volume or mute the sound by key.

Muting naturally works using FS-UAEs Menu screen mute button, but is there any chance to alter the volume, let's say during the emulation being paused and the volume key input forwarded to the host O.S.?

Best regards,
Peter
only way i found was to detach input of fs-uae through alt-tab and then using mm keys to fiddle with volume. and go back to fs-uae.

i wish we had to have fs-uae ignore certain keys and forward them to the system.

Old 15 February 2013, 19:35   #3
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi PHabermehl, nice to hear from you again

The issue with multimedia keys is that FS-UAE grabs input with "SDL_WM_GrabInput" in order to capture the mouse. This also captures all keyboard events. And there is no option to exclude specific keys.

For X11: It might be possible to use XGrabPointer directly, bypassing SDL, to capture only the mouse pointer and not the keyboard. This can have negative consequences as well, For example many F keys may then be intercepted by the desktop.

Additionally, when the application runs in fullscreen, it is possible that all key events are routed to FS-UAE events (though this may depend on the window manager / desktop environment).

But here's something to try:
1. Run in windowed mode - press F12+g to release the input grab. Do the multimedia keys now work?
2. Run in fullscreen mode - press F12+g to release the input grab. Do the multimedia keys now work?
3. Run in fullscreen mode - but use the option fullscreen_mode=fullscreen-window - press F12+g to release the input grab. Do the multimedia keys now work?

1. should at least work. If 2 and/or 3 works well, these could perhaps be used in combination with XGrabPointer. But there'll still be a problem now with some key combinations being intercepted..

If the point is to control the Amiga volume, the easiest and best solution may simply be to add support in FS-UAE for controlling the FS-UAE output volume via multimedia key presses...
Old 24 February 2013, 13:59   #4
PHabermehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Hi PHabermehl, nice to hear from you again
Hi Frode,

I'm always there, but quite busy. You can be sure, I'll run FS-UAE regularly. I'll grab my joypad from time to time to enjoy some vintage amiga gaming, and honestly, in combination with the launcher, there aren't many wishes left... Still impressed and very happy with your work

Quote:
The issue with multimedia keys is that FS-UAE grabs input with "SDL_WM_GrabInput" in order to capture the mouse. This also captures all keyboard events. And there is no option to exclude specific keys.

For X11: It might be possible to use XGrabPointer directly, bypassing SDL, to capture only the mouse pointer and not the keyboard. This can have negative consequences as well, For example many F keys may then be intercepted by the desktop.

Additionally, when the application runs in fullscreen, it is possible that all key events are routed to FS-UAE events (though this may depend on the window manager / desktop environment).
Okay, I understand that.

Quote:
But here's something to try:
1. Run in windowed mode - press F12+g to release the input grab. Do the multimedia keys now work?
2. Run in fullscreen mode - press F12+g to release the input grab. Do the multimedia keys now work?
3. Run in fullscreen mode - but use the option fullscreen_mode=fullscreen-window - press F12+g to release the input grab. Do the multimedia keys now work?

1. should at least work. If 2 and/or 3 works well, these could perhaps be used in combination with XGrabPointer. But there'll still be a problem now with some key combinations being intercepted..
Here is what I found:

1. Works!
2. Does not work.
3. Does not work.

Furthermore, Pausing FS-UAE in Fullscreen Mode and "Alt-Tabbing" to the desktop makes the keys work.

Quote:
If the point is to control the Amiga volume, the easiest and best solution may simply be to add support in FS-UAE for controlling the FS-UAE output volume via multimedia key presses...
Well, there are two issues:

- usually I have audio muted and forget to turn up the volume before starting fs-uae. then I'm forced to quit again (or alt-tab to desktop), unmute, and return to fs-uae (FS-UAE already has that mute button in the GUI, but that works only within FS-UAE and not for the whole system...)

- rather often I would like to turn down the volume a little, especially during some games, here it would really be nice if FS-UAE would offer some sort of volume control.

i guess there are many more important things for you to take care of, but just in case everything else is done, you might consider implementing some audio/volume control

Best regards,
Peter
Old 24 February 2013, 14:00   #5
PHabermehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
only way i found was to detach input of fs-uae through alt-tab and then using mm keys to fiddle with volume. and go back to fs-uae.
Yes, thanks that worked! Somewhat inconvenient, but at last it works...

Thanks, Peter
Old 24 February 2013, 21:53   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

The "system audio was muted" problem is not easy to fix, since multimedia keys are not reliably forwarded.

But I have implemented some shortcut keys to control the *FS-UAE* volume at least:
- F12 + m (toggle mute, 2.1.28)
- F12 + comma (decrease volume, 2.1.29)
- F12 + period (increase volume, 2.1.29)

Will release 2.1.29 shortly because it fixed a 2.1.28 bug
Old 25 February 2013, 08:27   #7
PHabermehl

Hey Frode,

it was YOUR birthday, not mine... But thanks for the great gift anyway

Kind regards,
Peter
Old 25 February 2013, 08:30   #8
PHabermehl

Quote:
The "system audio was muted" problem is not easy to fix, since multimedia keys are not reliably forwarded.
Oh, just an idea, you don't have to forward the MM keys, but would it be possible to inject a keycode into the system input stream? e.g. pressing F12+"n" (or something else) in FS-UAE what results in sending the appropriate key code to the system? I can remember I did something similar 20 years ago on the real Amiga...

BR
Peter
Old 25 February 2013, 17:19   #9
PHabermehl

Hello Frode,

I played around a little, and guess what - I found some unexcepted behaviour of the volume control.

I muted FS-UAE pressing F12+m, then opened the GUI (F12) and the "Mute" button showed the unmuted state. So I clicked the mute button, which changed to muted state, clicked the button again (changed to unmuted), then left the GUI. Had no sound at that point. Pressed F12+m, OSD showed "Volume:100%" again, but still no sound...

Sorry for raising more questions

Kind regards
Peter
Old 25 February 2013, 20:17   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

You're right, forgot to update the GUI mute button to work properly with the new volume system. There were also a couple of other oddities. Will be sane in the next version
Old 28 February 2013, 10:39   #11
PHabermehl

...installed it this morning, and see: it works

Frode, no except, again excellent work, thank you!
Old 08 October 2013, 19:05   #12
TenLeftFingers

Is it posible to set the volume in the configuration so that it' permanently at, for example 50% for all FS-UAE applications/games?
Old 11 October 2013, 23:57   #13
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

It is possibly to use some uae_ settings to set the internal volume for the sound output by the emulation core, but I should definitively add some options to set the FS-UAE "master volume" (added to TODO).
Old 23 October 2013, 16:24   #14
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Is it posible to set the volume in the configuration so that it' permanently at, for example 50% for all FS-UAE applications/games?
Implemented for the upcoming version 2.3.8dev