English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 June 2008, 10:57   #1
Techx

How to set HD size in uae?

I was following a tutorial on how to install workbench in uae and I created several HDs (DH0, DH1, etc) for workbench, games, and programs, but each were only about 4mb in size and my WB install failed because there wasn't enough space. I could not find any place to specify HD size in winuae. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Old 01 June 2008, 11:06   #2
TCD

Hi Techx,

have a look at this :

I hope this is what you meant. A HDF can't be resized afterwards (or at least I don't know how ).
Old 01 June 2008, 13:33   #3
thomas

If you used directories as hard drives, then there is no way to set the HDD size. Each directory HDD is as big as the real HDD the directory resides on.

However, AmigaOS cannot deal with sizes bigger than 2GB. Everything between 2GB and 4GB appears as negative and everything above 4GB is cut down to the remainder of the capacity divided by 4GB.

So if you have for example 25 GB of free space, AmigaOS thinks it is only 1GB. And if you have 27 GB free space, it thinks it was -1GB.

In your case you probably have n GB + 4 MB free while n is divisable by 4.
Old 01 June 2008, 14:03   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
However, AmigaOS cannot deal with sizes bigger than 2GB. Everything between 2GB and 4GB appears as negative and everything above 4GB is cut down to the remainder of the capacity divided by 4GB.
If too old Amiga OS. At least OS 3.9+updates works fine. (perhaps even 3.5?)

Problem is applications (it includes installer) that can't handle bigger than 2G drives due to 32-bit signed integer overflows in size calculation routines.

EDIT:

Free or used (don't remember which way) is returned in number of disk blocks + block size. (uae directory filesystem has "block size" of 1024).

Most programs use 32-bit signed multiplication (number of blocks * block size) which will easily overflow and can also return negative result..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 02 June 2008 at 09:57. Reason: add explanation
Old 03 June 2008, 03:24   #5
Techx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Hi Techx,

have a look at this :

I hope this is what you meant. A HDF can't be resized afterwards (or at least I don't know how ).
TCD, I was using directories but it seems that using a hd file might be better for me, but I can't figure out how to make one!! It's driving me nuts. Is there a guide or tutorial for that as well? I've read several FAQ's and guides but none really are clear enough and explain exactly what to do. All I want is to install WB on a virtual hard disk and have plenty of room for games and files

thanks
Old 03 June 2008, 03:35   #6
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@TechX

You could always have a look at what most people consider to be the best guides here http://guide.abime.net/home3.htm by the Green Amiga Alien RIP.

Dave G
Old 03 June 2008, 15:39   #7
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techx View Post
TCD, I was using directories but it seems that using a hd file might be better for me, but I can't figure out how to make one!! It's driving me nuts. Is there a guide or tutorial for that as well? I've read several FAQ's and guides but none really are clear enough and explain exactly what to do. All I want is to install WB on a virtual hard disk and have plenty of room for games and files

thanks
Hi Techx,

Dave is right about the guides. They are really good! Have a look at them and ask if you still have questions about how to get your HD working. I wish you the best of luck
Old 03 June 2008, 18:46   #8
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

What's the biggest size that each respective AmigaOS can handle?
Old 03 June 2008, 19:49   #9
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing_1000 View Post
What's the biggest size that each respective AmigaOS can handle?
There is no such limit in AmigaOS. Common limits are 500 MB, 2 GB, 4GB, 7.8 GB, 2TB depending only on controller, drives, drivers and software used, but not on AmigaOS.

AFAIK each Amiga with a built-in HDD controller can handle up to 4 GB using the built-in drivers. The only exception is Kickstart 2.0 which needs to be version 37.350. Lower versions don't always recognise the HDD.

When using a third-party controller, lmits can be completely different. Limits are not dependant on the OS version.
Old 04 June 2008, 05:56   #10
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Gotcha. That question had always puzzled me and for some reason I never thought to ask for the answer