English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 25 October 2006, 16:36   #1
MrA600HD
In rust, we trust.

why do we do it ?

Amigas i mean ! What draws us to be so enthusiastic about it.

For me, its always been fun, interesting - coming from a background of messing around with old computers it was logical to end up with one ( several actually ) Amigas....

what drives you to do what you do ?
Old 25 October 2006, 17:16   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well.. probably because I've always been a gamer before a computer-user, but there's not a lot you can you can go back and do to a games console...

In steps the Amiga... it was always a games console to me... apart from the bitch of disk swapping... now I finally have the tools to get rid of floppy disks and make an awesome games machine So here I am, plodding along with WHDLoad and this front end...
Old 25 October 2006, 17:30   #3
viddi

Hey!
I love Pixel-Art and the Amiga Game Music!
For me, it´s the best gaming machine ever.
Grafix are great even today.

It´s not only for nostalic reasons. For me Amiga gaming is modern gaming.

It´s OS is genius and finally memories of the past are mixed up with the present I´m living in.

GREAT!! I hope my beloved Amiga stays with me till I die!
Old 25 October 2006, 18:51   #4
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

You don't plan to live long?
Old 25 October 2006, 18:56   #5
girv

Short answer: it's fun

Longer answer:
Amiga (and Amstrad CPC before it) allows me to poke around inside the games, develop the occasional bit of software etc. very easily. It's a hobby computer and it makes it easy for me to pursue my hobbies and do the things I like to do for fun. It's too much work (== no fun) to get into PC coding or whatever so I stick with Amiga.
Old 25 October 2006, 18:58   #6
viddi

70 years should be okay
Old 25 October 2006, 22:15   #7
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I'm with girv - the Amiga is a perfect hobbyist computer. Perfect for learning assembly coding, cracking, training etc. Not difficult to code for at all. And when you get ok at coding there's lots of custom chips to play with and tricks to learn

Plus it's good fun too, lots of cool games and demos. And Amiga also has this great community and 'feel' to it... for me this something that no other machine I've ever had has.

And of course since I've been using Amigas since 1990 they have the whole nostalgia thing as well - which makes me love it even more. Plus, I love floppy disks and the noises they make - and the Amiga has a great disk controller and makes some good noises too
Old 26 October 2006, 05:39   #8
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I like to use this quote (made by me, naturally):

"Amiga is the link between the mysterious originality of early computers and the boring tedium and painful stupidity of modern shit computers."

Meaning: Early computers were mysterious, interesting, original and most of all FUN. They were for intelligent hobbyists to use their intellect to make or do something interesting. Amiga was the ultimate pinnacle and sadly the last of the era of mysterious, interesting, original, fun early hobby computers.

The death of Amiga (or a few years before - the "dying of Amiga") marks the beginning of the era of boring "computing for the masses". The very nature of "computing for the masses" means it is no longer for intelligent hobbyists, but for every brain-dead moron and senile grandmother who needs to be shown repeatedly how to double-click. These masses of morons then decided with their ill-informed and stupid purchases, the garbage computers that would go on to be the most successful. The evil corporations making these garbage computers subsequently (and illegally) crushed all competition.

Computers now are about as interesting as a donkey's anus and about as fun as reading a Japanese phonebook while getting smacked across the face with an electric eel.
Old 26 October 2006, 08:57   #9
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I collect Amigas for gaming mostly, the games made for the Amiga were generally better then most C64 versions and most PC versions up to the VGA era. If it wasn't for gaming I don't think I would have most of my collection (except for my 68K Macs).
Old 26 October 2006, 13:36   #10
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

It's the great games, the gorgeous pixel art, the nostalgia and the whirr of DF0 for me.
Old 26 October 2006, 17:06   #11
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I love the Amiga, because I can actually tell you where each and every system files lives on my harddisk!! I kinda know or can easily find out what each one does too!
This lets me tweak and hack and fiddle till my hearts content...

Now I dont what you guys think, but Windows seems to gleefully try and hide what it is doing from me....
Old 27 October 2006, 12:44   #12
shillard

Why persist with the Amiga?

Because it's there.
Old 27 October 2006, 13:15   #13
Ironclaw
Banned

Hey, you gotto have a hobby, right?

That is of course not the main reason why I play Amiga games and stuff... it's because it's not dead, it has a huge community and I grew up with it... nostalgia.....

Also nice to contribute by recording movies, making games, fun stuff that others enjoy to watch and play.
Old 27 October 2006, 13:35   #14
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi
Hey!
I love Pixel-Art and the Amiga Game Music!
For me, it´s the best gaming machine ever.
Grafix are great even today.

It´s not only for nostalic reasons. For me Amiga gaming is modern gaming.

It´s OS is genius and finally memories of the past are mixed up with the present I´m living in.

GREAT!! I hope my beloved Amiga stays with me till I die!
Agreed !
Old 27 October 2006, 14:07   #15
viddi

@ HOL2001:

Well almost....I hate slips of the pen

So, not only for nostalgic reasons
Old 27 October 2006, 14:27   #16
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
Computers now are about as interesting as a donkey's anus and about as fun as reading a Japanese phonebook while getting smacked across the face with an electric eel.
In some cultures you can expect to pay extra for that....
Old 28 October 2006, 07:26   #17
cooldude

Mr_a500....You are a legend

Couldn't agree more. I'm sick of fixing my mates' PC's.

They always have the latest & greatest but they know sweet FA about 'em.

I use my miggy EVERY day and I love it. It's still fun.

AmigaOS was & Is brilliant

Cheers. I'm off to play Chaos Engine. Maaaarvelous.
Old 28 October 2006, 12:19   #18
SilentBob

I guess I like to relive the past. I keep my Amigas around because I loved all the good times I had during my childhood/adolecense. (And also later years). I also loved the community, it seemed more lively than the PC scene at that time. They all said the Amiga was for games only, but what the #¤&" were they doing with their £1000-2000 PCs? They were using them for games, lol!
Old 29 October 2006, 02:19   #19
Jimbo

The Amiga days, were the best. I never had so much fun playing rainbow islands, alien breed etc. I have an up to date pc etc. Playing bf2142, but its still not as fun as the old Amiga games.

I used to love sitting up late while my parents thought I was alseep playing monkey island etc.

The Amiga was all about fun.
Old 29 October 2006, 10:38   #20
blade002
Zone Friend

Yeah the Amiga had a feeling, it had brilliant pixel art in its games & scene demo's, its music was captivating, the creativity from Amiga developers was unbeatable, it had a strong following but also niche market that felt exclusive and special.

I would spend hours scrolling through and reading disk magazines with their amazing chip tunes. And every year we would see a new game or demo push our machine even further.

Its operating system i adored, its art programs i loved, its music software was brilliant.. and its community was passionate!.

Nothing will ever beat the Amiga, and nothing will ever come close in my lifetime.