English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 20 June 2009, 19:17   #481
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Bale is awesome, but this role wasn't really written for him. You could take every other actor for his boring part in Terminator Salvation. It's a Sam Worthington movie, and he did a brilliant job. Pretty good for a newcomer.
Old 20 June 2009, 21:25   #482
DH
Global Moderator

I certainly wouldn't pay to watch Terminator Salvation, as it was free, I watched it. God! I'd rather be watching that than having to painfully watch Coronation Street, Eastenders, Neighbours, Home & Away, The Bill, Gardeners World and any other pure shite the wife has to watch, especially when I've got beer in my hands. Any crap movie has to be better than any of that I just listed above.
Old 21 June 2009, 12:54   #483
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

I'm still watching re-runs of Neighbours where Todd and Josh hack the school computer to amend their marks with an Amiga 500 Hardcore leeeet
Old 22 June 2009, 10:11   #484
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Like usually, you people just had too much expectations from T:S. For hollywood standards, this is a very decent addition that could have been a lot worse. But I do agree that Bale was totally redundant in the movie, which is a crying shame. When will he ever play a role again like he did in the Machinist?

As for those special movies, this weekend I saw "Let the Right One In", a Swedish offering to the movie scene.

It is hard to judge this movie as it is one of those intimate and personal movies that you have to go see with your mind wide open. It depicts the intimate friendship between two 12 year old children in a very harsh environment. The trouble is: one of those two children is not exactly human!

It is certainly an interesting movie that is quite unique in its own way. It does not evolve around a real story, the relationship of the children is what is the center of this movie; seeing it grow and blossom even where it is impossible to do so. Certainly not a movie for children, and especially not a movie for adults with a childish mind. Go see it when you are ready for it, you won't be disappointed. Just try to find the Swedish spoken version with subtitles, the English dub is terrible.

My verdict: 7.5 for beautiful imagery, music, acting and uniqueness.
Old 23 June 2009, 19:33   #485
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Saw Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans

Only see if you like the first two of course; it is nothing new but also nothing worse either - the quality of the imagery, story and acting is right on par with the previous installments. This time no Kate Beckinsale in tight leather however, it is the story of Lucian, Sonja and Viktor and... the rise of the Lycans!

The only problem with this movie is that it is a prequel and if you have seen the first two movies, you know exactly what is going to happen leaving no surprises at all. I like how it all fits neatly into the lore of the first two movies however, the only plot holes being that some key characters seem to be missing in this installment that should have been running around already.

A good action flick and worthy to add to the collection, IF you like the Underworld movies.
Well I just saw the trilogy a few days ago and throw my few yens if someone cares ...

well I saw the first underworld when it first came out on the big screen, and it was a good experience. Though I had my reservations. Which I will reveal shortly.

Like Gimbal said, the third part of the movie may coem boring if you saw the first two, you know what's going to happen, and that's just not fun.

Secondly, there were some holywood cliches thrown in the plot which disturb me. Like the Lycan slave rebellion. Come on ... They deliberately try to insert this 'freedom' theme every fuckin' holywood movie since Braveheart, which gives a sour taste to me. Once is enough. Also it doesn't make any sense. Vampires enslaving werewolves ? COME ON ! It's just super artificial, whole plot has been written so that lucian can make that stupid freedom speech !

Second, I don't really like the underworld approach to vampirism, like it's a blood disease of some sort. And the ability of the vampires and werewolves to reproduce (which was why I had my reservations for the first movie) COME ON ! These are undead beings ! There are some many problems with undead bearing children that I can not go about here ... Think of the hybrid child, will it suck milk from his/her mommy ? or blood ? IT'S JUST STUPID ! I like the 'Anne Rice' aprroach more than this.

Third, there were some cheesy action scenes which were too cheesy for my taste. Like werewolves sprinting on trees parallel to the ground. COME ON ! Add the fact that the 'werewolves' look more like giant half ton apes with shapeless jaws, it just doesn't look right. I would much more appreciate more elegant werewolves, not brute monsters.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts, I still watched all the three movies, cause [ Show youtube player ]. The third one sucked, and it didn't have kate, but I still watched it for some reason even unknown to me.

anyway, ARRRGH IT'S FULLMOON ... [ Show youtube player ]!
Old 25 June 2009, 09:22   #486
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

err coze... buddy... you do realize this is fiction right? It is meant to be bullshit?

Quote:
Vampires enslaving werewolves ? COME ON !
I like to believe it is not vampires enslaving werewolves, it is victor enslaving werewolves. His entire being is focused around being in power over his minions, even going as far as sacrificing his own offspring.

Quote:
The third one sucked, and it didn't have kate, but I still watched it for some reason even unknown to me.
You didn't see it to the end, did you Okay, okay, it was a scene from the first movie.
Old 28 June 2009, 13:06   #487
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Quote:
err coze... buddy... you do realize this is fiction right? It is meant to be bullshit?
But it has to be real, Coze saw it on TV!
Old 28 June 2009, 13:51   #488
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
dudes, there is a difference between 'fiction' and 'bullshit'.
Old 29 June 2009, 10:31   #489
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

sure, none of the letters are the same.
Old 29 June 2009, 10:36   #490
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
Quote:
sure, none of the letters are the same.
*cough*
Old 30 June 2009, 09:17   #491
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

blah. They are out of order, asshole
Old 30 June 2009, 09:30   #492
TCD

Oh, now I see...

Old 30 June 2009, 22:48   #493
twizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post

ya, fiction isnt real, and shit happens
Old 01 July 2009, 14:43   #494
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

watched Trainspotting for the umpteenth time. The very first movie I owned on DVD, and also one of the rare few movies I bought twice (because my first DVD vaporized into thin air).

Brilliant movie. Utterly disgusting in all ways of life, but great fun.
Old 04 July 2009, 02:42   #495
TCD

Oh hai, long time no see
Well, ol' TCD watched Watchmen tonight and is quite impressed Really a good action movie to watch I would not say this is a comic movie adaption, but something rather on its own. Maybe you could compare it in some parts to Ironman, but then again maybe not A soild 8-8.5/10 IMHO.
Old 04 July 2009, 13:01   #496
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
@gimbal
Trainspotting soundtrack is great, the movie is fun with tragic moments. A bit overdone, but still entertaining. Lock, stock & 2 smoking barrels comes to mind, in that category.

I watched Jacob's Ladder last night.. Creepy, I wouldn't recommend it if you're a bit ill or upset (like I was indeed, but now I feel better). The main actor, Tim Robbins, knows how to play the disturbed daddy & husband. Some plot elements related to Vietnam War.
Old 05 July 2009, 01:29   #497
Marcuz
Wurk???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/
just seen Pan's Labyrinth...

great movie, albeit disturbing, at times...
Old 05 July 2009, 12:15   #498
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

The Hangover. It was hilarious!

I was disappointed with Transformers II. I loved the first one, but the second was too excessive, and lost itself in the process. It also had no plot, and the overly long action scene at the end almost put me to sleep.
Old 06 July 2009, 14:41   #499
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw Resurrection. You could say "Oh noes, A Christopher Lambert movie!", and you'd be wrong. This movie is not bad. Actually, it is watchable. In fact, it is even entertaining.

It is a complete and very blatant rip-off of Se7en, but who cares, the movie works. Somehow. It is not bad! It is a contradiction in terms since Highlander and Fortress, but it is a Christopher Lambert movie and it is not bad!
Old 07 July 2009, 14:37   #500
Yoto
1 Potato to SpamĀ“em all!

"Knowing" with Nicholas Cage wasnt bad, i always like his movies.