English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 30 November 2019, 23:35   #2421
NLS
Ancient User
NLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GREECE
Age: 45
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly11 View Post
Yeah, you're right, just to clarify: how difficult and how long could take to convert a game from c64 to amiga just porting it (basically: make a commodore 64's game working on amiga without emulator) not in terms of doing better gfx etc.
I already said. It wouldn't be a "port". It would be a rewrite from scratch.
So it's a matter of how long it would take to make this game from scratch.

The only things that would save them time, is the storyboard (or platform map, or whatever is kept the same) would be reused - the idea.

Also it is possible that some of the original graphics/sprites could be used as base (i.e. draw over them to make them look similar).

Emulation would be VERY slow for gaming - since you mentioned it.
C64 emulators were all slow on normal 68k Amigas.
NLS is offline  
Old 02 December 2019, 13:03   #2422
Jope
-
Jope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Helsinki / Finland
Age: 39
Posts: 7,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I already said. It wouldn't be a "port". It would be a rewrite from scratch.
The term used for going between totally incompatible platforms back in the day was "conversion". :-)
Jope is offline  
Old 03 December 2019, 00:22   #2423
NLS
Ancient User
NLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GREECE
Age: 45
Posts: 623
Right on.
NLS is offline  
Old 03 December 2019, 18:20   #2424
jolly11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mars
Posts: 163
not amiga related but..
there are different versions of the 1084s monitor.
1084s d1, d2, p1, p2 and so on..for amiga users, it's not a problem, they all work well. but I've read that the commodore 128 80 column is supported only by 1084s d1 and p1.
so what happens when you connect the commodore 128 to a 1084s d2? no picture? 40 column?
jolly11 is offline  
Old 08 December 2019, 10:20   #2425
Hewitson
Registered User
Hewitson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 37
Posts: 3,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly11 View Post
not amiga related but..
there are different versions of the 1084s monitor.
1084s d1, d2, p1, p2 and so on..for amiga users, it's not a problem, they all work well. but I've read that the commodore 128 80 column is supported only by 1084s d1 and p1.
so what happens when you connect the commodore 128 to a 1084s d2? no picture? 40 column?
If the 1084S D2 does not support the C128 80 column mode then that is because it lacks the RGB TTL input.
Hewitson is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 15:57   #2426
sneckburger
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wakefield
Posts: 155
When you fit an accelerator card to the A1200 you are adding another processor.
What is the original one doing?
Could it be utilised for other functions like a modern day dual core processor?

Have I discovered a neat idea no one else has thought of..If so I must deserve a Nobel prize or something similar?
sneckburger is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 16:05   #2427
ajk
Registered User
ajk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 1,301
The accelerator takes over the system, the on-board CPU does nothing. The architecture does not allow for both CPUs to run; if they tried, all accesses to RAM and other shared resources would result in garbage.

The old PPC accelerators did have both a 68k CPU and a PPC CPU which run side by side, but they still need to share the memory bus so software needs to be written with this in mind.
ajk is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 16:17   #2428
sneckburger
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wakefield
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
The accelerator takes over the system, the on-board CPU does nothing. The architecture does not allow for both CPUs to run; if they tried, all accesses to RAM and other shared resources would result in garbage.

The old PPC accelerators did have both a 68k CPU and a PPC CPU which run side by side, but they still need to share the memory bus so software needs to be written with this in mind.
Shame seems like a waste of CPU!
sneckburger is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 16:34   #2429
Gordon
Settler
Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Serf City
Posts: 1,453
Who here says Amiga 1200 like "Amiga One thousand two hundred" instead of "Amiga twelve hundred"?
Gordon is online now  
Old 28 January 2020, 16:41   #2430
sneckburger
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Wakefield
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Who here says Amiga 1200 like "Amiga One thousand two hundred" instead of "Amiga twelve hundred"?
I think you're on your own on that one!
sneckburger is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 17:09   #2431
Hedeon
PPC Hacker

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Leiden / The Netherlands
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
Could it be utilised for other functions like a modern day dual core processor?

Have I discovered a neat idea no one else has thought of..If so I must deserve a Nobel prize or something similar?
What do you call a 4 CPU 5 core Amiga (1x68060 1xppc604e 1xppc7410 and 2xARM A9)?

This thing has gone out of hand
Hedeon is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 17:18   #2432
Estrayk
Registered User

Estrayk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Spain
Posts: 198
QUESTION: I read a long time ago that 68040 processors can benefit from L2 cache memory. Why has no accelerator ever been done with L2 cache for Amiga?

thx
Estrayk is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 17:36   #2433
Etze
A3000-Fan

Etze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Who here says Amiga 1200 like "Amiga One thousand two hundred" instead of "Amiga twelve hundred"?

There was a time when I called it (in German) "Amiga tausendzweihundert", but "Amiga zwölfhundert" or "der Zwölfhunderter" sounds better .
Etze is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 18:07   #2434
Gorf
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Munich/Bavaria
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
QUESTION: I read a long time ago that 68040 processors can benefit from L2 cache memory. Why has no accelerator ever been done with L2 cache for Amiga?

thx
A tilgte bit more complicated to do on Amigas than on other platforms ... because of the way the chipset-bus, DMAC and the Zorro-bus are working.
(Essentially you end up flushing the cache a lot and the benefit goes down)

An amiga-specific way would have been to incorporate a cache-controller into Ramsey and have just the Fast-RAM cashed.
Gorf is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 18:25   #2435
slaapliedje
Registered User
slaapliedje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Who here says Amiga 1200 like "Amiga One thousand two hundred" instead of "Amiga twelve hundred"?
I don't know, but I occasionally hear people call them 'oh four oh' processors instead of 'oh-forty'.

Which just sounds wrong when you're talking about the Falcon030, and people call it Falcon oh three oh. Or if you're lucky and they call it an oh six oh... :P

Yeah, I've always heard it as A twelve hundred.
slaapliedje is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 18:44   #2436
lilalurl
Global Moderator
lilalurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: France
Age: 40
Posts: 3,081
Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Who here says Amiga 1200 like "Amiga One thousand two hundred" instead of "Amiga twelve hundred"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
There was a time when I called it (in German) "Amiga tausendzweihundert", but "Amiga zwölfhundert" or "der Zwölfhunderter" sounds better .
In French I always said (and heard people say) "Amiga mille deux cents", which is the equivalent of "Amiga One thousand two hundred". "Amiga Douze cents" (= Twelve hundred) is theoretically possible but the X hundred (if X>9) is rarely used in French, except for historical dates and even then, the year one thousand XX format is preferred.

I think I was surprised the first time I heard some English-speaking person saying "Amiga twelve hundred" as I didn't expect it to be pronounced this way.
lilalurl is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 19:14   #2437
Glen M
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I don't know, but I occasionally hear people call them 'oh four oh' processors instead of 'oh-forty'.

Which just sounds wrong when you're talking about the Falcon030, and people call it Falcon oh three oh. Or if you're lucky and they call it an oh six oh... :P

Yeah, I've always heard it as A twelve hundred.
I always say oh two oh, oh three oh, oh four oh, oh sex oh etc.

Have I been wrong? Surely I can't be the only one...
Glen M is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 19:32   #2438
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 4,443
Hmmm, I always said oh three oh, oh six oh etc., but I guess I'm in the minority. I now use a mixture of both, depending on the audience.

It was always Amiga twelve hundred though!
Daedalus is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 20:26   #2439
Dustyarddog
Officially retro

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Maidstone, Kent
Posts: 35
I have a genuine wb 3.1 licence and want to the software. I tried on Cloanto's website and could not work it out.

I emailed Cloanto, no reply.

How can I download the genuine copy.

I'm embarrassed as I can easily get illegal copies, but I cant work out how to get a genuine copy I paid for.
Dustyarddog is offline  
Old 28 January 2020, 22:01   #2440
crazyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gravesend - UK
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Hmmm, I always said oh three oh, oh six oh etc., but I guess I'm in the minority. I now use a mixture of both, depending on the audience.

It was always Amiga twelve hundred though!
Same here
crazyc is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gamebase Amiga - 2 Questions Fiery Phoenix New to Emulation or Amiga scene 8 13 August 2012 13:31
Amiga CD32 questions pubzombie New to Emulation or Amiga scene 26 24 January 2010 17:27
A few general Amiga questions. Hougham support.Hardware 6 30 April 2008 23:13
Amiga A4000 Questions mfletcher support.Hardware 8 29 April 2008 11:51
Amiga 600 Questions JDunlap support.Hardware 14 20 January 2008 20:13

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.17023 seconds with 16 queries