English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 02 March 2019, 01:12   #1
Liqourice

Remake the RAM-32 card for VXL-30?

SInce there's a few people in here that fiddle around with these things I'm gonna ask if this is feasible.

I have an old VXL-30 with the RAM-32 memory board in my A500 Rev5. Been trying to find ram chips to expand the 2 MB to 8 MB but they're next to impossible to find, at least 16 of them. An alternative is to use SOJ-adapters but that's difficult since the sockets on the board are as close as they can be.

So, my thought was. SOJ's are easy to find so would it be possible to just make a redesigned board for SOJ's instead of DIP's? How much work is it to do such a thing and what would the cost be to do it? As far as I've understood the only difference is the pin layout and the fact that SOJ's need to be soldered to the board.

I have no knowledge on how to design boards and how to make them, is it to expensive to just make one? Might there be others interested in a thing like this to make them cheaper?
Old 02 March 2019, 01:13   #2
solidcore

Tried utsource or aliexpress for the ram chips?

you can get SOJ to DIP adapter pcb's, I'm sure I've seen them before being done on the a500. But if they're too big, you could alternate their heights? otherwise you need to learn to use eagle to make PCB's or other pcb design software, easy to learn but there's a lot of ropes you need to go through in order to make a board properly which is a little time consuming. the other thing to consider is are you moving existing stuff over such as the logic chips, or you plan to make those yourself - in that case more learning HDL etc... trust me, overwhelming from zero - however the experience is very rewarding.
Old 02 March 2019, 01:36   #3
Liqourice

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post
Tried utsource or aliexpress for the ram chips?

you can get SOJ to DIP adapter pcb's, I'm sure I've seen them before being done on the a500. But if they're too big, you could alternate their heights? otherwise you need to learn to use eagle to make PCB's or other pcb design software, easy to learn but there's a lot of ropes you need to go through in order to make a board properly which is a little time consuming. the other thing to consider is are you moving existing stuff over such as the logic chips, or you plan to make those yourself - in that case more learning HDL etc... trust me, overwhelming from zero - however the experience is very rewarding.

Didn't know about utsource so I'll try that one. Tried aliexpress but only got errors when I tried to search, I'll try again.

As I said I know about the adapters. I'm just worrying that alternating height might cause other problems, I just don't know enough about micro electronics, so that's why I'm asking.
Old 02 March 2019, 05:33   #4
grelbfarlk

Probably not practical to remake, the code for the quicklogic QL8x12-1PL68C is probably lost. For the effort to replace this RAM board, why not just get a Terriblefire Accelerator instead?
Old 02 March 2019, 21:33   #5
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Probably not practical to remake, the code for the quicklogic QL8x12-1PL68C is probably lost. For the effort to replace this RAM board, why not just get a Terriblefire Accelerator instead?
Cause it's also 2MB only..and he wants more..
TF534 was already released, by the way..
Old 03 March 2019, 01:34   #6
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
Cause it's also 2MB only..and he wants more..
TF534 was already released, by the way..

Oh my mistake, I thought some versions had more.
Old 03 March 2019, 12:45   #7
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Tf530 - 2mb
tf534 - 4mb
The good part of TF534 it's Zorro lll, this means it works fine with Kippers 8MB Zorrolll RAM boards
Old 03 March 2019, 14:52   #8
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
How about an adapter board ala the ZIP->SIMM adapters made for the A3000?
Old 04 March 2019, 02:33   #9
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
How about an adapter board ala the ZIP->SIMM adapters made for the A3000?
Yeah I mean that would be easiest for the end user, though you might have height restrictions. The layout of the RAM on the VXL32 makes this a little bit complicated for somebody that doesn't have the VXL32.

Can you solder? If someone gave you a layout can you solder your own pin sockets to it for ZIPs or solder SOJs?

The other question does the VXL 30 have the memory in Zorro-2 or 32-bit space? If it's Z2 then you're going to have problem with any other Zorro-2 devices.
Old 04 March 2019, 03:04   #10
source
Zone Friend

The Vxl has a command Mapram high. I used one with the ram expansion in my a2000 with a supra ram with 2 meg and a bridgeboard. I think there is even a jumper that can be set instead of editing your startup
Old 04 March 2019, 03:24   #11
grelbfarlk

Playing around in Eagle "free version" it seems like it wouldn't be too much work to lay a board out, but it's slightly too large for the "free version" limitations.
Old 04 March 2019, 03:55   #12
PeteAU

It would be neat to recreate a different RAM-32 with SOJ pads on it. I also have a VXL-030 in the cupboard without any ram board, so it's useless. But nobody knows the RAM-32 pin-outs and there are a million pins.
Old 05 March 2019, 03:13   #13
grelbfarlk

How about this DIP to SOJ adapter? Part Number: 20-350001-10

P/N: https://www.arieselec.com/results.ph...o=20-350001-10

Though at 5.56 per piece it's not really cheap, but if you really can't find DIPs, maybe not so bad?

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 05 March 2019 at 03:52.
Old 08 March 2019, 13:11   #14
Liqourice

Those adapters actually look better. But as you say, they're quite expensive.
Old 17 July 2019, 15:30   #15
Dellamorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
It would be neat to recreate a different RAM-32 with SOJ pads on it. I also have a VXL-030 in the cupboard without any ram board, so it's useless. But nobody knows the RAM-32 pin-outs and there are a million pins.
I hope I am not intruding on the conversation but I would like to spit ball an idea, could something like a modified RAM68K be clocked to the VXL-30? I expect that the bus to the 68000 socket would be the limiting factor but could this be of some use?

Could there be other ways to add ram to this board? development of a "RAM68030" board maybe?