English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 26 January 2018, 14:54   #1
durniplot

VXL-RAM 8MB upgrade - need ram chips

Disclaimer: Not a hardware guy.

I have a VXL-RAM board (for VXL-030), with 2MB RAM, and I'd like to upgrade this to 8MB. As my 030 is faster than 25Mhz (40 Mhz), I need 60ns RAM and not 80ns.

So, I need 1M x 4 DRAM chips, in a DIP-20 package. I've been told that I can use TC514400AP-60. These chips seem to be both rare and expensive, though, the cheapest source I've found this far wants about 5,5USD per chip + shipping.

To make matters worse, I'm looking to upgrade not only my card, but a friend's card, too, so I need atleast 16 (for my board alone), preferably 32 (for both boards), of these chips.

Are there any other chips I can use instead?

Or an alternate source, such as old pc video cards?
Old 31 January 2018, 00:57   #2
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by durniplot View Post
Disclaimer: Not a hardware guy.

I have a VXL-RAM board (for VXL-030), with 2MB RAM, and I'd like to upgrade this to 8MB. As my 030 is faster than 25Mhz (40 Mhz), I need 60ns RAM and not 80ns.

So, I need 1M x 4 DRAM chips, in a DIP-20 package. I've been told that I can use TC514400AP-60. These chips seem to be both rare and expensive, though, the cheapest source I've found this far wants about 5,5USD per chip + shipping.

To make matters worse, I'm looking to upgrade not only my card, but a friend's card, too, so I need atleast 16 (for my board alone), preferably 32 (for both boards), of these chips.

Are there any other chips I can use instead?

Or an alternate source, such as old pc video cards?
I know you posted this a few days ago and may already have solved the issue, but if you have not try a quote for your desired amount:

https://www.utsource.net/sch/TC514400AP-60

Keep in mind that if in stock and if reasonably priced then here's something to bare in mind, these items ship from china and can take 3-4 weeks or more depending on shipping choice. Also further more in my own experience sometimes they cut the tray badly and leave ram chip legs exposed to damage from shipping about 1/5th of my ram ic's had bent legs some were beyond recoverable mangled and some were reasonably easy to bend back (but we're talking tiny brittle legs) however in this particular case you're buying through-hole so shouldn't be too bad if they package them right but for a purchase lot of smd ram keep it in mind , therefor buy a couple more just in case.
Old 31 January 2018, 17:21   #3
durniplot

Thanks, I'll try utsource. I think I've asked them before and gotten the reply that they don't have this part, but that may change ofcourse.
Old 03 February 2018, 00:29   #4
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Looks like these are really har to find.. There's this, though..

Otherwise making an adapter board with a different kind of 1Mx4 chip might be an option.

Last edited by hooverphonique; 03 February 2018 at 00:40.
Old 05 February 2018, 11:20   #5
durniplot

I sent an inquiry, however the reply was that there was no stock and that they are not expecting any, either.

The concept of building an adapter is one I've been pitched elsewhere, too. If anyone could share any details about what ram chips would be suitable and how to create adapters, that would be great.

I've checked ebay, and there are several "to dip20" adapter pcb's that you'll need to solder pins and some sort of socket/other ram chip to, but with my severly limited knowledge about chips, that doesn't get me very far to be honest.

My buddy with the other VXL-RAM board bought 32 zip-ram chips with the right spec by mistake, but I couldn't find any adapters for that.

Well in short, if someone is willing to do a run of adapted RAM chips, I'm interesting in buying. Might even be a market for more, too. I know Chucky sold off a few (8?) unpopulated VXL-RAM boards last year.
Old 05 February 2018, 11:36   #6
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

You could make an adapter board (or even one for each chip if space permits) for the zip chips - they are the same, but in a different package. Otherwise the 424400 may serve as a replacement, which has the same pinout as the 514400 (SOJ package).