English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 01 August 2003, 11:48   #1
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

New CD32 owner! Help needed!

Recently i took the plunge into the console world and finally bought a CD32 off Ebay!
I gather that there are some CD32 experts around and was wondering about some info.

I plugged a S-Video lead into it and found that the output on the TV was grey! Wrong cable perhaps? And whats this analogue port? And the AUX one?

I also downloaded Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and burnt it to a CDR but whilst this works in UAE and my A1200's CD drive, the CD32 doesnt seem to want to recognise it. I used Nero to burn the MP3's and the ISO and seemed to do everything correctly. Do i have to burn a particular type of CD ie one that is 1x compatible? Or do i have to include this CD32.tm file or something?

I was amused to see that lazy old C= allow the second port to act as a Mouse and if you hold the mouse buttons (or the red and blue joypad buttons) down at reboot you get the old familiar Early Startup Control! So am i right in thinking that i could burn a custom WB booting disk and run any vanilla Whd games via WB?
Old 01 August 2003, 18:48   #2
Amiga1992

Re: New CD32 owner! Help needed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad

I plugged a S-Video lead into it and found that the output on the TV was grey! Wrong cable perhaps? And whats this analogue port? And the AUX one?
did you buy a PAL unit? Seems like a system problem. Maybe you got a PAL-N, PAL-M or other PAL that is not the standard PAL-B you use in Europe. If this is the case you wil have to buy a PAL transcoder.
Old 01 August 2003, 18:54   #3
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Interesting it might be something like that... saying all that, the SCART out is fine so im happy to use this instead.
Old 01 August 2003, 22:43   #4
Amiga1992

If that SCART lead is wired with RGB that confirms mu suspicions.

I just hope you did not get an NTSC unit, a lot of games won't work on NTSC machines. Contact the seller and ask him.
Old 01 August 2003, 23:00   #5
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I wish there was an easy way to check...anyways, i will endeavour to ask the seller.
Old 02 August 2003, 00:46   #6
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

The AUX port is for attaching a keyboard to your CD32.

If you've burned Super Street Fighter 2 to CD-RW then then it will not work. The CD32 will not accept CD-RW discs, only CD-R's.

If it's an ISO you've burned from a real CD32 disc then you won't need the trademark boot file.

You don't need to make the disc 1x compatible as the CD32 can read the CD's at 2x.

The only other thing I can think of is that your CD32 might not like the brand of CDR that you're using so try a different brand.

The mouse and early startup screen will of course work as the CD32 is just an A1200 with a CD drive and an extra chip or two added. Not much point in having it but there's also little to gain by removing this functionality from the ROM. Having the mouse port is very handy as it's much better than the joypad for a few CD32 games like Cannon Foddder.

As for WHDLoad games. Yes they will work of course, as long as the games don't require fast RAM. Check out Gary's awesome CD200 collection of games and demo's. This uses WHDLoad and it's awesome.
Old 02 August 2003, 02:30   #7
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

cheers steve
Old 07 August 2003, 20:59   #8
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Creating custom CD32 cds

I want to create a custom CD32 cd running a lite Wb and some Whd games that only need 1.5MB RAM at most. Picture of the workbench screen below . I gather that i can burn them at either 1x or 2x speed and it will ok.

Im using a Sony 700MB 1x - 40x CD-R as this *seemed* to boot up when i failed to copy SSF2 from the cd i created at 12x for my A1200 and WinUAE. The intro loaded but was corrupt, however the burn was unsuccessful so i guess i can blame that and not the manufacturer of the cd.

Additionally i burnt to a Memorex 700MB upto 52x speed CD-R as well at 2x speed which altho didnt burn correctly at the end (will ask about this in a mo) was recognised by Windows (unlike when i used a Sony and the burn failed) but did nothing for my CD32.

Am i missing a file? I stuck in a CDTV.TM file in the root and told the startup-sequence to run setpatch first (one from another CD32 game) but i get no joy out if it on the real hardware.

Im also having LOADS of problems with Nero 5.5.10.28 Im often getting "Logical unit not ready, operation in progress"
"Could not perform Fixation" and weirdly "Current program area empty" either in the middle of a burn or when it comes to fixation at the end. All bloody annoying...three dead CDs ive had this shite now. I bet running on XP doent help things...

Makes NO sense to me...any ideas? I just downloaded BlindWrite in the hope itll make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	workbench.gif
Views:	472
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	5528  
Old 08 August 2003, 02:22   #9
gary

A CD32 will not boot a CD unless it has been created with a utility like ISOCD which uses the CDTV.TM or CD32.TM file to create some sort of custom boot block. This is Commodores way of forcing software companies to pay a fee for the CDs they produced.

Its like a floppy disk, if you simply format a disk you can not boot from it. To boot it you have to INSTALL a boot block. To INSTALL a CD you'll need to use a tool like ISOCD, you can't just copy the CDTV/CD32.TM files there yourself.

YADSTER’S GUIDE TO BURNING CD32 GAMES v1.0a

http://acdldp.emuunlim.com/bootablecdr.shtml

Unless you want to waste a lot more CDRs you should consider creating the ISO image and testing with WinUAE/CD32 emulation and daemon tools before burning.
Old 08 August 2003, 07:10   #10
Amiga1992

Re: Creating custom CD32 cds

Quote:
Im also having LOADS of problems with Nero 5.5.10.28 Im often getting "Logical unit not ready, operation in progress"
"Could not perform Fixation" and weirdly "Current program area empty" either in the middle of a burn or when it comes to fixation at the end. All bloody annoying...three dead CDs ive had this shite now. I bet running on XP doent help things...
I had this happening to me while working with an HP burner. The problem was that the burner was shite :P It got broken or something. So you better check it out, and I hope you DON'T have an HP. If that's the case, may god bless your poor soul
Old 08 August 2003, 11:15   #11
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Aha... thanks Gary. I have Zoned my CDTV.TM file which came from my Almathera CDPD CD. Can you verify that this is the right file?

I seem to recall saying you preferred this file for creating custom cds. Makes sense i guess that its the same kind of system as installing Amiga Floppies. Have used WinUAE so far, but only as a HD directory. Do you mean that i can create an iso file and use that with WinUAE under CD32 emulation then?

Akira, its not a HP but a Plextor drive. Still, i never used to get these problems - i wonder if its going up a certain creek without a paddle.

I see from Nero i can use an image file to make a bootable CD. So i use the CDTV.TM file here and switch off the Nero Floppy Emulation?

Last edited by Antiriad; 08 August 2003 at 11:32.
Old 08 August 2003, 13:50   #12
gary

Your CDTV.TM checksum matched mine so I would say it is OK.
Quote:
Do you mean that i can create an iso file and use that with WinUAE under CD32 emulation then?
Yes, so you may choose to do these steps:

1. Setup WinUAE using a HD directory like this:

/isocd/CDTV.TM
/isocd/isocd
/CD32/s/startup-sequence
/CD32/c/whdload
/CD32/games/sonic/sonic.slave
/CD32/games/sonic/disk.1

* You could setup another WinUAE config that has /CD32 as
the root directory and emulates an Amiga1200 to do a quick
test of your boot/menu/game setup as that is pretty close
to a real CD32. I did this to check the startup and game
startup before creating ISO images.

2. Use ISOCD to read files from the /CD32 directory is the
source and build an ISO image

3. Use 'daemon tools (Windows program)' to mount the ISO
image as a 'fake' CD.

4. Use WinUAE with CD32 roms and 'fake' cd to see what a real
CD32 might do if the image was burned to CD

5. fix problems and repeat steps 2 to 4 until it works or you just
can't stand it anymore
Old 13 August 2003, 18:50   #13
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Fraid i have not heard of ISOCD. Is this the slackware program?

Even so, my CD Writer is STILL acting the goat after i opened it up and gave the lens a clean. Im losing count of how many cds ive killed now

Going to try a cd drive cleaner cd and on my fathers pc, but at this rate im going to have to get a DVD/CD Writer as i cant be arsed just to get another plain CD writer.

Its bloody frustrating having a copy of Super Street Fighter 2 on a cd written at 12x and Garys 200 cd files (thanx Cody ) and not being able to use them at this rate i might as well get a frickin SX32!
Old 13 August 2003, 19:54   #14
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Floppy disk

Quote:
Fraid i have not heard of ISOCD. Is this the slackware program?
It's in the zone... There's no instructions but it's pretty self explanatory....
Old 13 August 2003, 20:06   #15
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Once again, thanks Steve.

Stupid thing with my drive is that it burns music and data fine at 12x - i did it just now, but try and ask the f**ka to do anything below 4x speed it just cries "nay"
Old 10 September 2003, 08:40   #16
tin

@Antriad:

I think I might be having the same problems as you (aside from my CD writer acting the goat)

I have burned ~15 coasters now (well they read in the PC but the CD32 no like) but think I got a breakthrough this morning.

I have dl'ed a few ISOs and burned them onto Imation and Plextor CDR's that I use for everything else without trouble. In most cases the PC is fine with reading the contents (e.g. I can see s/startup-sequence etc etc) but the CD32 just thrashes (then resets the drive, thrashes again, reset, etc) on boot. I read on the bamigacd32(name?) board that someone else has had a very similar problem.

However some time ago I had a very very similar problem with VCDs on a Tosh 220e DVD player and back then I got some Verbatim Blue AZO CDRs from a mate to try. I burnt just one of the ISOs to one of these and it worked fine on the CD32. I burned the same ISO in the same way to an Imation and the CD32 thrashes at it again. I therefore assume the CD32 drive is a bit puny (well it is a million years old or something ) and requires a good quality disc to read from (or perhaps just a certain TYPE of disc?)

Funny thing is I can physically see where the disc is burnt more clearly on the Verbatim disc, which maybe the CD32 can too?

Also my (good) writer will not go below 8x - and this works OK (on the Verbatim discs) on the CD32 so maybe the low speed is not so important (Surely the burner would burn the living shit out of the CD if it used the same power to the lazer at 1x as 52x? - and I have tried 1x on my old burner with the same non working results anyway)

Also again - where do you plug the scart lead in? I am sure my cd32 doesn't have the rgb port (or maybe I am just blind?)
Old 10 September 2003, 11:23   #17
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

The scart out is the yellow plug beside the red and white audio plugs on the left end of the back of the console.

8x speed eh? My new CD Writer goes down to 4x and my CD32 still likes it thankfully but buying another was sadly the only way i fixed my problems.

The CD32 drive is indeed puny - its a 1x speed (or 2x at max) and i do gather its fussy with certain makes of cd. I used Sony and Memorex and since buying a new wrtier have had no trouble with either.
Old 10 September 2003, 11:35   #18
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You'll get a better picture with a scart lead if you have a scart with an s-video connector. This also means that your tv has to accept s-video via scart but most new tv's do. It's a real shame that it doesn't have rgb because composite video is really mushy in comparison.
Old 10 September 2003, 15:35   #19
Amiga1992

You can mod the CD32 for RGB no probs. It's easy, since it's wired for RGB already (it's an Amiga! )
Old 10 September 2003, 15:39   #20
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah but I can't be arsed.

It should have been provided by default, pretty much all other consoles do (did).