English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 June 2010, 11:48   #21
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
If you want to run WinUAE on Intel Mac hardware and have it work at all or reliably it only works via Bootcamp.
This is not true. I have the 13" Macbook Pro from mid 2009 and I run WinUAE in full frame rate under both Sun VirtualBox and VMWare Fusion.

With the latter you can use the Unity feature to get rid of the Windows desktop and have WinUAE appear directly in OSX. The keyboard and mouse input takes a while go get used to (some input will always go to OSX rather than WinUAE) but other than that you get WinUAE with its full GUI running like it was an OSX app.
Old 10 June 2010, 13:14   #22
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
This is not true. I have the 13" Macbook Pro from mid 2009 and I run WinUAE in full frame rate under both Sun VirtualBox and VMWare Fusion.

With the latter you can use the Unity feature to get rid of the Windows desktop and have WinUAE appear directly in OSX. The keyboard and mouse input takes a while go get used to (some input will always go to OSX rather than WinUAE) but other than that you get WinUAE with its full GUI running like it was an OSX app.
The Unity feature looks Very good - What about accessing files from you Mac harddrive
Like loading an ADF stored on you Mac drive under WinUae?
Old 10 June 2010, 16:32   #23
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
The Unity feature looks Very good - What about accessing files from you Mac harddrive
Like loading an ADF stored on you Mac drive under WinUae?
You can share any OSX folder with the Windows environment, and it will pop up in the network. Add a shortcut to it and it will appear like any other folder.
Old 10 June 2010, 17:37   #24
AmigaFriend

Quote:

I absolutely second this. I've used WinUAE in Fusion since 2007 with absolutely no apparent loss of performance in a 15" Macbook Pro. With more tight support for the latest DX versions on more recent Fusion and Paralells that support latest pixel shader version, compatibility and performance can only improve.

I recently installed Fusion 3.1 with Win7 on a iMac 27" and Winuae performs as well as in my i7 Win7 box.

Performance would not be an issue. Anything wrong would be installation/OS/missing libraries as advised.

I only have experience with Fusion though.
Old 10 June 2010, 17:45   #25
RabidRabbit

I know BootCamp would be the way to go but having to switch between windows and OSX with a reset is time-consuming and a pain. Although, I am tempted to have a windows partition just to run my WinUAE

I don`t have Vmware fusion yet. Once I get the opportunity, i`ll install SP2 on my parallel windows partition and let you guys know if it works or not.
Old 10 June 2010, 20:15   #26
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I don`t have Vmware fusion yet. Once I get the opportunity, i`ll install SP2 on my parallel windows partition and let you guys know if it works or not.
...and then update it to SP3 of course
Old 10 June 2010, 20:20   #27
RabidRabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
...and then update it to SP3 of course
Do you need SP3 to run Winuae?
Old 10 June 2010, 20:23   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

No, but you wouldn't want to encounter any problems because your Windows isn't up to date. Really update it first, then work with it (even if you only use it for WinUAE).
Old 11 June 2010, 19:25   #29
RabidRabbit

Just an update.

After installing SP2, WinUAE boots up fine. I still haven't run anything on it yet (due to having to go to work of all things...GRRR) but its looking promising.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11 June 2010, 20:24   #30
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Better install SP3, SP2 isn't supported anymore and sooner or later you have similar problems again
Old 11 June 2010, 20:34   #31
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, Deja Vu time Yes, please do yourself a favour and don't ignore the advice(s).
Old 11 June 2010, 23:57   #32
RabidRabbit

Heh, all this just to get a few programs running on my virtual windows machine

See, if there was a Mac version.....
Old 12 June 2010, 00:00   #33
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
See, if there was a Mac version.....
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52712
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52842
Just in case you missed it.
Old 12 June 2010, 03:11   #34
Pyromania

Quote:

Very cool, so things have improve a lot since I tried. I gave up a while ago and went the Bootcamp route. Glad to see it is working now for some.
Old 12 June 2010, 17:36   #35
RabidRabbit

Just another update.

All files now added and installed Workbench etc.

All works like a dream! It runs phenomenally fast and all without having to use Boot Camp.

Edit: Hard files etc all work too. I was able to copy all my old configurations over and no worries at all.