English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 August 2018, 23:15   #2521
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
So what if you set AHI Unit 0, and AHI Music Unit (don't remember which it uses) to Paula 8-bit DMA?
I'll give it a shot and let you know
Old 29 August 2018, 00:00   #2522
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
Now I've got my PPC working stably (which was a hardware problem), I can share more YouTube goodness. Here's Q3 at 1GHz!

[ Show youtube player ]
Why is it taking so long to load? Memory related?

EDIT:
Sorry, read the video description now. Slow drive speeds, huh? No FastATA?
Old 29 August 2018, 00:49   #2523
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
Now I've got my PPC working stably (which was a hardware problem), I can share more YouTube goodness. Here's Q3 at 1GHz!

[ Show youtube player ]
time to update that Q3
Old 29 August 2018, 01:13   #2524
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
Why is it taking so long to load? Memory related?

EDIT:
Sorry, read the video description now. Slow drive speeds, huh? No FastATA?

Posix FS stuff is slow, but maybe there's something application wise that could be improved, like being able to decompress the pak.
Old 29 August 2018, 01:16   #2525
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Posix FS stuff is slow, but maybe there's something application wise that could be improved, like being able to decompress the pak.
libnix/newlib's fault? that should be fixable. you can also possibly add proper amiga fs stuff in Q3.
Old 29 August 2018, 05:40   #2526
JimDrew

Quote:
Actually the legend about Ifusion requiring a specific version of Powerpc.library or warp.library is just a legend as in not really true. I have the Ifusion disc and it just has a normal version of WarpOS 16.1 on it. It doesn't work with the bugfixed WarpOS 16.1 beta however.

Perhaps the first version 1.0 maybe required a special supplied powerpc.library-that's possible, but the latest 1.3 just uses normal WarpOS 5.1 or powerpc.library 16.1.

That definitely is true. According to the notes in my original source code, the only version that works is what was included with it... nothing older and nothing newer.

What is actually required (hardware wise) to use one of these Sonnet boards?

Last edited by JimDrew; 29 August 2018 at 05:51.
Old 29 August 2018, 06:15   #2527
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
That definitely is true. According to the notes in my original source code, the only version that works is what was included with it... nothing older and nothing newer.

you need a mediator 3.3v which all the new are or mod a 5v to accept 3.3v
and the cheapest card we support is the bigfoot killer network card M1 or K1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Del...UAAOSwNuxXbUnu
wiki will show all the cards we support but we use G2,G3 and G4 so some are running altivec cpus
we have cpus running 1GHz+ families being used are 83xx/750/74xx
https://github.com/Sakura-IT/SonnetAmiga/wiki
wiki shows how to mod cards for 5v mediators for those with old

both A3000/A4000 fully supported A1200 does work to some degree

Last edited by nexus; 29 August 2018 at 06:48.
Old 29 August 2018, 10:03   #2528
Cowcat

Quote:
time to update that Q3
Totally. Check latest OpenArena: If it works, newer Q3 is ready to be uploaded.

Quote:
Why is it taking so long to load?
From what I see in the video, the first time Q3 is started it does "nothing" till menu appears: Chances are it begins to look for a net conexion till realizes there's no one.

After that, the long loads are "relative": With my old A1200 without any IDE gadget trickery, Q2 loaded faster that running it on Sonnet. Don't know if it changed over those years.

Quote:
libnix/newlib's fault? that should be fixable. you can also possibly add proper amiga fs stuff in Q3.
Q3 uses vbcc posix.lib.
Old 29 August 2018, 11:12   #2529
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
So what if you set AHI Unit 0, and AHI Music Unit (don't remember which it uses) to Paula 8-bit DMA?
Changed AHI to use Paula. It causes the system to lock hard the minute you attempt to launch the game (after the MUI config interface). You're then stuck unless you do a reset.

Asking QuakeWOS to use Paula directly gets you a guru - red flashing box and all.

Changing AHI back to the SB128, it'll start, you get sound, but it will lock hard eventually. Either really quickly, or after a minute or so. Again, a reset is the only way out.

With no sound specified, it will run forever (well, I left it cycling the demo's for a good few hours without problems).

[edit] Downloaded WarpAMP and chucked an MP3 at it. It plays it via the SB128 also, with some awful distortion as it loads the data from the HDD (I'm using the onboard IDE).

Last edited by indigolemon; 29 August 2018 at 11:55. Reason: More info
Old 29 August 2018, 12:29   #2530
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Ah, you found your source code?

Anyway, regarding iFusion, I never figured out how the original WarpOS handles page tables as it is undocumented. Samo Jordan stopped responding to me early this year and I didn't pursue it any further. Also iFusion installs small context exception handlers of which I am not sure if I implemented them correctly as no other program uses those. wosdb from Frank Wille uses large context handlers and is open source so using that I could test and implement correctly.

Also there are no memory protection functions in the sonnet library as these are never used... Well maybe by iFusion later on past where it is stuck now. I can't tell.
Old 29 August 2018, 12:39   #2531
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

To everyone thinking about getting a card for their a1200: I don't support a1200.

For everyone thinking of getting some PCIe bridge: I don't support those.

I've said this before and please don't PM me about this.
Old 29 August 2018, 12:57   #2532
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

You were very clear the 1200 isn't supported. I'm aware I took a gamble, and am happy with what I have man. It's an utter novelty to me - cost me very little, and I'm still in awe it works at all!

My apologies if it feels like I'm asking for more with my posts on here
Old 29 August 2018, 15:08   #2533
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
You were very clear the 1200 isn't supported. I'm aware I took a gamble, and am happy with what I have man. It's an utter novelty to me - cost me very little, and I'm still in awe it works at all!

I'm talking about PMs people are making. I feel it's getting to a point that people are expecting that it all should work.

Edit: So not you :-)

Last edited by Hedeon; 29 August 2018 at 15:17.
Old 29 August 2018, 15:11   #2534
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:

Buying it knowing that it doesn't work properly (and isn't supported) for testing purposes is helpful. Begging for help in PM's demanding unsupported stuff to work is not.
Old 29 August 2018, 15:40   #2535
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
I'm talking about PMs people are making. I feel it's getting to a point that people are expecting that it all should work.

Edit: So not you :-)
Ah right, people not RTFMing then. Yes, I can see how that would get annoying! Glad it wasn't me

Quote:
Buying it knowing that it doesn't work properly (and isn't supported) for testing purposes is helpful. Begging for help in PM's demanding unsupported stuff to work is not.
No - agreed, that's unacceptable behaviour really, especially when someone is doing all this work in their spare time.
Old 29 August 2018, 17:49   #2536
JimDrew

Quote:
Ah, you found your source code?

Yes, I did.

Quote:
Anyway, regarding iFusion, I never figured out how the original WarpOS handles page tables as it is undocumented. Samo Jordan stopped responding to me early this year and I didn't pursue it any further. Also iFusion installs small context exception handlers of which I am not sure if I implemented them correctly as no other program uses those. wosdb from Frank Wille uses large context handlers and is open source so using that I could test and implement correctly.

Also there are no memory protection functions in the sonnet library as these are never used... Well maybe by iFusion later on past where it is stuck now. I can't tell.

I think you are probably missing quite a bit then. Any size exception handler should be able to be used. I don't recall how the memory protection was done (I will have to look), but I know it was there to protect the Amiga from getting trashed.
Old 29 August 2018, 18:33   #2537
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
I think you are probably missing quite a bit then. Any size exception handler should be able to be used. I don't recall how the memory protection was done (I will have to look), but I know it was there to protect the Amiga from getting trashed.
With small and large context exception handlers i mean

http://amiga.sourceforge.net/amidevh...&action=Search

where wosdb uses EXCF_LARGECONTEXT and iFusion EXCF_SMALLCONTEXT.

And with memory protection i mean:

http://amiga.sourceforge.net/amidevh...&action=Search

where all the additional attributes (see list) are not implemented (atm).

And with the page tables i mean

http://cd.textfiles.com/amigaacs/ami...rpc/tasksPPC.h

were tp_TableLink is <probably> used for switching page tables.

EDIT:

And iFusion flips the IP bit in its exception handler. I guess the original boards run the interrupts at 0xFFF00000 but these PPC cards run them at 0x00000000.

Last edited by Hedeon; 29 August 2018 at 18:41.
Old 29 August 2018, 22:01   #2538
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Buying it knowing that it doesn't work properly (and isn't supported) for testing purposes is helpful.
Indeed, that is what I'm doing here - I'm gladly putting my wallet and soldering iron on the line for the sake of SCIENCE
I hereby offer myself and my PCIe Bridge + Killer 2100 (when I get it) for any kind of testing Hedeon and the others might find interesting or useful
Old 30 August 2018, 03:29   #2539
grelbfarlk

Quote:

I meant that to address what some people say that there is a special version of the powerpc.library on the CD, it's just the normal last release of powerpc.library 16.1. There is a beta 16.1 that fixes some other unrelated issues but that does not work with IFusion.

Basically all that is required to run one of these PPC boards is:
A3000/4000 with 040/060

Mediator (assume you will get a PCI Graphics card)

And a PPC board that is compatible with the power supply of your Mediator.

Newer Mediators have 3.3V supply support, older ones don't.

The boards which need modification for 3.3V support are Sonnet 7200 G3/G4 and Killer NIC.

You could say the PMC PPC boards which work are more versatile in that it's dependent on the PMC adapter, some of which have 5V->3.3V conversion on them. All of the PMC boards require 3.3V support but the PMC is a workaround for this.
Old 30 August 2018, 03:35   #2540
grelbfarlk

So that was with Paula DMA 8-bit? What about Paula Fast 8-bit or any of the other Paula modes?

Quote:
Changed AHI to use Paula. It causes the system to lock hard the minute you attempt to launch the game (after the MUI config interface). You're then stuck unless you do a reset.

Asking QuakeWOS to use Paula directly gets you a guru - red flashing box and all.

Changing AHI back to the SB128, it'll start, you get sound, but it will lock hard eventually. Either really quickly, or after a minute or so. Again, a reset is the only way out.

With no sound specified, it will run forever (well, I left it cycling the demo's for a good few hours without problems).

[edit] Downloaded WarpAMP and chucked an MP3 at it. It plays it via the SB128 also, with some awful distortion as it loads the data from the HDD (I'm using the onboard IDE).