English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 September 2019, 00:07   #1
kurbeco

Eyetech EZ-PC Tower - worth fixing up?

So, I bought this thinking it was a homemade / horrible hack for the parts but having seen the Eyetech badge, and looking at the chassis I realised it isn't.

More pictures; https://imgur.com/a/0bHXVfM

It seems to have an IDE optical drive, a SCSI optical drive, a PC FDD and an internal Amiga FDD plus an internally mounted external FDD.

There's nothing for powering the Amiga from the ATX PSU, though there is Scotch-lock to tap into the -12v rail.

There's nothing for the SCSI drive to connect to the Amiga, and there's an odd 'thing' connected to it - does set the drive ID, no idea - never used SCSI.

There's no Amiga keyboard adapter fitted to the case, and the Amiga LEDs are a nasty hacked off bit of the old case.

The ATX case isn't in the best of condition, but I guess a bit of bending, some sanding and some paint would fix that.

I do have affection for old x86 systems, so having the two in one would be quite 'nifty' if the software I've heard about for controlling the Amiga from the PC actually works.

Can anyone help with what's missing, what's happened and if they reckon it's worth saving or just stripping for parts.
Old 30 September 2019, 00:45   #2
sneeker

The scsi drive probably connected to a squirrel on the amiga side, I think the siamese software is still out there to download.

Ive got a squirrel somewhere, but it might be at my parents, who are in the process of moving.
I think I saw this on ebay? but Ive got enough amigas as it is, and Im also currently looking at old pc bits, I got one free the other week thinking it was a 1.4ghz athlon, tuened out to have a semperon in it as it had been previousley upgraded

And of course its worth fixing up
Old 30 September 2019, 00:55   #3
kurbeco

Yeah, it was on eBay and dropped a cheeky bid. All I really *needed* was the external FDD.
As it was collection only due to the size / weight, I think the bidding was limited.
Old 01 October 2019, 10:18   #4
cugar124

I had one of these way back! build quality is aweful but the idea was not so bad. Power was give using a flat I think 5 pin plug in to the Amiga or using the normal power brick and both machines work seperate from each other the only way to make them work together was via ethernet or was it printer port using siamese software a very slow system which now can be speeded up using aamiga forever on the pc side. Only other amiga parts were an IDE splitter. With the amiga it was supposed to stay in the lower case ohh and use the ez keyboard connector which fits the round hole with two little screw holes beside it. Hope this helps and is not to rambling check bigbookofamiga as well.

https://www.bigbookofamigahardware.c...ct.aspx?id=754

https://www.bigbookofamigahardware.c...t.aspx?id=1601

the power connector I cant find yet but will keep looking someone here will have had one or still got it the idea was it would fit into the power brick socket flat and be hidden and safe and turn on when the pc was

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Last edited by cugar124; 01 October 2019 at 11:37.
Old 01 October 2019, 10:19   #5
cugar124

Sorry did the reply on my phone will tidy it up on computer so it makes better sense later.

Old 01 October 2019, 17:33   #6
kurbeco

ah, so the power has to loop out the case and back into the A1200? I wonder if there's a neater way of doing that as I've not seen a 90degree power socket.

I've seen on http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...ower-for-A1200 that a wire as part of the kit; "the blue wire that runs from the PSU to power the main board (needs soldering to the PSU I think)."

I have this blue wire, it was tapped onto the ATX -12v line. I guess the other powerlines the A1200 board needs could come from a 4 pin molex board.

I've gone a bit full on into this now, and manged to source a Siamese System with video switching ISA card - so I am going to restore this.

Everything was bought as untested, but I've powered up the A1200 board and it works - so that's a good start!

cugar124 - do you know what the ports at the top of the tower were supposed to be used for?
Old 01 October 2019, 18:21   #7
kurbeco

Looking at http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=627088 and http://www.amigakit.co.uk/support/atx-a1200.php that is linked from it, it seems I was right about the power.

The FDD power header can direct current into the board, minus the -12v rail which needs to be routed outside.

Is this safe, is this bypassing an filtering or smoothing the Amiga might otherwise do?
Old 02 October 2019, 11:04   #8
cugar124

Hi the ports at the top are just expansion ones so that you could use the old i/o cards. Power dont what ever you do use the floppy power cable to power the 1200 it will do damage over time the rail is way to weak, its ok for testing but no good for long term..

Old 02 October 2019, 14:08   #9
Daedalus

Wow... That's a hell of a hack job adding the LEDs and extra drives... I mean, the external drive is just a normal-sized drive in an external case - a cheap bracket and faceplate will get it fitting perfectly in a standard 5.25" bay.

Anyway, you more or less have the right story with the power. -12V isn't available to insert at any point except the original power connector or the trapdoor connector. Different towers used different approaches, from simply looping the old connector out the back and into the original connector, to a custom, right-angled connector that fits almost flush with the rear of the case, or a flying -12V pin that is inserted into the centre receptacle of the original connector with 12V and 5V supplied via the floppy connector.

Speaking of which, this solution does bypass some rudimentary filtering on the way in, but it shouldn't be a big deal. The PSU is no longer external, which removes the possibility of the long cable picking up unwanted noise from other electrical cables and equipment nearby. Amigas with internal PSUs (e.g. 4000) don't have such filters for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cugar124 View Post
Power dont what ever you do use the floppy power cable to power the 1200 it will do damage over time the rail is way to weak, its ok for testing but no good for long term..
Hmmmm... What are you basing this on? What sort of potential damage will occur long term that won't occur short term? The A1200 is a 4-layer PCB, with two internal layers dedicated to the ground and 5V rails. The floppy connector is connected directly to these, so there are no thin traces that could be damaged by excessive current. Arguably it's better than using the original connector, which has contacts that are difficult to clean and potentially present a greater voltage drop to the incoming 5V supply.