English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 16 August 2019, 07:44   #1
Hewitson

Mobile Reliance / YouTube / Ad Blocking etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah the rest is B.S., that far in the future everyone will have lost the ability to speak.
I honestly hope that never happens. Probably will though, technology has just gone too far.

Most of the world is so addicted to their phone that I believe they need professional psychological assistance.
Old 16 August 2019, 10:52   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

People thought the same of me when I spent all my days playing on my Amiga

We should leave each other be, it's all just a means to not be bored out of our skulls on a daily basis. These are modern days, I am not even sure if my 3 year old nephew is ever going to have to get a job in his lifetime at this point. Imagine if you are free 24/7 how you are going to fill your days... I can tell one thing though: to keep him entertained now, he is lugging around an iPad. That thing or something similar to it is going to be the centre of his life.
Old 18 August 2019, 14:00   #3
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I honestly hope that never happens. Probably will though, technology has just gone too far.

Most of the world is so addicted to their phone that I believe they need professional psychological assistance.
When you see folk walking the streets on their phone I do stop and wonder. Reminds me of an apprentice we had at work a couple of years ago - he had to be told multiple time to put his phone down, he was that addicted and found it hard to do any actual work

This 24x7 expected availability with mobile phones is getting irritating though. I know there are some businesses in the UK who expect you to reply to e-mails over a weekend prior to your working week. Then there's remote access capabilities (and yes, I've been guilty of doing work from home). It's all got out of hand. Youtube is grinding my gears lately with all the advertising.

To only have that simplicity we all had before the 1990s rolled round...
Old 30 August 2019, 14:19   #4
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I don't see youtube ads.

As for cellphone use, I agree, people and specially kids are hooked to it way too much. I hate when I see someone driving and looking at the phone at the same time, and I see that quite often with amount of driving to work and back I do.

No wonder we have so many accidents and fatalities on the roads.
Old 30 August 2019, 15:27   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

For a complete no-ads anywhere (not only youtube) experience I strongly recommend getting a good main router like ASUS RT-AC58U or WRT 3200ACM and installing OpenWRT with a graphical interface like Gargoyle (for beginners) or LuCi (for advanced users) AND installing adblock + changing the DNS to 9.9.9.9 (for example, works for me).
When properly setup you don't have to have adblock/ublock/nano blocker/whatever else installed on your main browser, just a simple Privacy Badger extension that cleans the rest of the shit ads leave on your PC like the placeholders for pictures and such...
Literally EVERYTHING you connect through that main router in your house will be ad-free.

When it comes to using your smartphone outside of your house, there's a solution too, both an adblocker and DNS changer thingy called Blokada from https://blokada.org/
It's OBVIOUSLY not an official Google Play Store app due to Googles "we love ads and you should see them" policy

EDIT: Also, there's Pi-hole for all'ya Raspberry Pi freaks!
https://pi-hole.net

Last edited by Shoonay; 30 August 2019 at 15:36.
Old 30 August 2019, 15:53   #6
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
When it comes to using your smartphone outside of your house, there's a solution too, both an adblocker and DNS changer thingy called Blokada from https://blokada.org/
Isn't there VPN for this situation? Or at least an alternative.
Old 30 August 2019, 15:56   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks @Shoonay, interesting.
Also, when it comes to play something from y@utube (for example, long streams like movies), you can also just load VLC and paste the URL on the CTRL+N box. No advertising during the entire streaming.

Last edited by malko; 30 August 2019 at 16:06.
Old 30 August 2019, 15:58   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Isn't there VPN for this situation? Or at least an alternative.
Depends on how much you're willing to pay monthly for a VPN I guess, dunno, not using these, some might be adblocking some shit, just like there are family friendly DNS's that block pron sites.
But VPN is mainly for changing your IP's location and encrypt what YOU send, so you still get ads but specific to the region you pretend to be from, and has a huge impact on internet performance (again, depending if it's free or you're paying them).

EDIT: still of course, all these solutions (adblock, dns and vpn) can be configured on a good router I mentioned above and don't conflict with each other.

Last edited by Shoonay; 30 August 2019 at 16:11.
Old 30 August 2019, 16:27   #9
daxb

I mean OpenVPN (so free) at home and some VPN on your phone you can trust (don't know if it exists). Of course it doesn't block ads. It only connects to your home router in a save way and hopefully you have ad block stuff installed at your home network.
Old 30 August 2019, 16:33   #10
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Oooooh, yeah, I guess that might work, but I think it might be a slow experience, much slower than just installing the above mentioned app. Did I mention I'm using it on an old Snapdragon 425 smartphone?
Old 30 August 2019, 16:34   #11
Dunny

I use Blokada on my S9. I cannot recommend it enough (though the "cannot connect" messages left behind in ad spaces is a little irritating). Especially in light of ad frames being hijacked as malware droppers lately.
Old 30 August 2019, 17:36   #12
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

At home I use PiHole and at work we have some firewall filter, that does not stop youtube ads, but 2 extensions do help get rid of those.

Incredible with how much easy this discussion moved into technology...

Moderator, please do something. Sorry for derailing discussion.
Old 30 August 2019, 17:47   #13
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Pi-hole should (from what I gathered on the internet, didn't test it) block YT ads with no problem, I guess you have to add a few extra definitions, it's like the old adblock extension, you had to configure it to use your language-specific sites, etc.
I found on some Polish site there are specific "YouTube filters for Pi hole" @
Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MajkiIT/polish-ads-filter/master/polish-pihole-filters/youtubehosts.txt
so maybe try those?

Meself I was considering using Pi-hole, love to play with new hardware and didn't have the chance to try a Raspberry, but the fact how it works and you have to configure each device's DNS is very disapointing.
Old 30 August 2019, 20:12   #14
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I don't have a problem with PiHole running, and only thing since I install it are frequent updates.

On the same RPi I am running Ubiquity server, that is controlling my router and APs.

And no, you don't have to configure each device's DNS, that is done with router and your home network and distribute through DHCP. (unless you tend to hand deliver IP addresses )
Old 30 August 2019, 21:00   #15
jmmijo

Yeah I viewed the vid that Linus posted the other day about setting up and using Pi Hole, they used a Rasberry Pi Zero device.

As for needing/using your mobile device 24/7 well that is up to the individual using that device but I'm sure there seems to be a lot of folks that can't put it down.

I guess I'm one of the ludites out there, I don't own nor need a smartphone, I get to work from home so I have two VOIP services, one that my employer provides and another as a backup.
Old 30 August 2019, 21:21   #16
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I think cell phone box at home might be soon necessity, specially when my son gets one. (not any time soon, tho )

As for networking at home, I posted here when I modified my home network half year ago. Only thing from original that I changed - bigger SD in RPi.

PiZero might work if you using it just for PiHole, but if you plan to do anything else with RPi, I would suggest at least RPi 3.
Old 30 August 2019, 21:33   #17
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I think cell phone box at home might be soon necessity, specially when my son gets one. (not any time soon, tho )

As for networking at home, I posted here when I modified my home network half year ago. Only thing from original that I changed - bigger SD in RPi.

PiZero might work if you using it just for PiHole, but if you plan to do anything else with RPi, I would suggest at least RPi 3.
That was the deal, they set up ONLY Pi Hole on that device, not being used for anything else.
Old 30 August 2019, 21:48   #18
Zak
ZapĀ“em

What's so bad aboud ads, I just wonder. On Youtube, you can click them away after only five seconds and nevertheless, I grew up with TV ads all my life and I'm used to it. I am more concerned what unexpected side effects an adblocker app has, I never trust those apps. Just data collectors and virus motherships.
Old 30 August 2019, 23:19   #19
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
We should leave each other be, it's all just a means to not be bored out of our skulls on a daily basis.
Old 31 August 2019, 04:44   #20
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
What I did in 2014 was subscribe to the AdGuard service, still running strong on my main computah, except for eab of course (I choose the offer which would allow me to run it on up to 3 different machines). Since I got myself a second hand 6.28 inch screen fitted OnePlus 6 (the company that claim they "never settle") a few days ago, I thought it would benefit from having AdGuard for Android installed on it too (works in VPN mode btw), just activated lifetime license this evening, with a rebate. One side effect is that it may somehow affect battery indications reliability. AdGuard for Android filters ads through the whole system and comes with a price, but you can get the browser based AdGuard Content Blocker for free apparently (won't work with Firefox though). Neither app require root access.