English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 29 March 2006, 20:42   #1
scifi
Resurrected...

Question Transfer an ADF from Amiga500 to PC and vice versa...

I change the subject of a previous thread!

How can I transfer files (ADFs, DMSs) from Amiga to PC and vice versa?

The problem is that I have an Amiga500 1.2 with 1Mb RAM and without transfering tools!!!
Is there a solution or should I start rethinking the possibility of purchasing an Amiga500+ or an Amiga600?

Please help me!
Old 29 March 2006, 20:58   #2
Dizzy
Pirate

before you get your ass kicked by a mod and end in the trashcan. you should read the faq before posting such a thread

http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=ami...games_xfer_faq

think you should upgrade
Old 29 March 2006, 21:01   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

here I come with the Big Boot

Read the faq and then ask any questions if you fail to understand anything..
Old 29 March 2006, 21:24   #4
scifi
Resurrected...

Unhappy I have already read the FAQ but...

Sorry if I trouble your minds with such a silly question but I don't understand how can I transfer the transfering tool on my miggy if I don't have it already installed!

I have already read the FAQ many times (i'm an old EAB member as you may know) but I can't find a way to work things out!

Back in the past Akira volunteered to send my a disk with some xfer utilities!
Unfortunately, I got sick and I didn't post him my addy again! (thanks Akira! )

In the FAQ section are described several techniques but it's necessary to have a transfer program already installed in your Amiga, isn't it?

Moreover, every guide says that your Amiga should have 1,5Mb at least RAM in order to transfer files as the ADF files are bigger than the real Amiga files and the file is transferred on the RAM. The first problem!

Assuming that you can find or make a null cable and you upgrade to 1,5Mb how can you surpass the obstacle of the transfering program?

Come on guys, give me some slug here!!!
Don't be cruel! And Bippym I'll let you use your Big Boot on my ass if you give a hand here!
Old 29 March 2006, 21:46   #5
Bloodwych

I can't think of anyway to get the games across with your current hardware.

I'm not even sure if 1MB RAM will be enough to transfer and write ADF's back to disk.
Old 29 March 2006, 22:03   #6
Dizzy
Pirate

Well if you have dms files you can transfer them to a old amiga, splitting the dmsfiles into 2 parts, but this is so slow and is not worth it.
If you wanna use your old amiga, you must find the program needed from another amigaowner, or you must upgrade.
I would upgrad, since 1.2 isn't worth much
Old 30 March 2006, 15:29   #7
scifi
Resurrected...

Question Amiga500+ or Amiga600 then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
Well if you have dms files you can transfer them to a old amiga, splitting the dmsfiles into 2 parts, but this is so slow and is not worth it.
If you wanna use your old amiga, you must find the program needed from another amigaowner, or you must upgrade.
I would upgrad, since 1.2 isn't worth much
Dizzy, is Amiga500+ a good choice (instead of Amiga600)?

I think that uses 2.0 as operating system! That should be enough or should I upgrade my memory (Amiga500+ comes with 1Mb RAM I think).
Can I use my 512K extension that I use on Amiga500 on an Amiga500+?
1,5Mb should be enough!

I'm not thinking of the Amiga600 solution because is not compatible with many of Amiga500 games.

Unless I'll head for Amiga1200! (still there are many compatibility problems)
Old 30 March 2006, 16:50   #8
Dizzy
Pirate

I never owned a 500+, but I heard that you should stay away from them, something about the battery leak acid and destroy the motherboard. I dont like the 600 either, so go for a 1200, you should keep your 500 and then use the 1200 for playing all the games which works on that, and for transfering amigagames back on disks and playing the old amigagames that the 1200 dont like on your 500
Old 30 March 2006, 20:24   #9
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I use an amiga 1200 and crossdos which came on the workbench 3.1. I formatted a disc to pc format on the amiga because windows xp on the pc won't format them but will read them. Use a zip utility to zip the .adf file up and write it to the pc disc, transfer it over to the amiga and download a zip utility from aminet. I rarely use .adf files anymore though on the amiga 1200 I just install them to harddrive and use WHDLOAD.
Old 30 March 2006, 20:35   #10
pbareges

i agree . a1200 would be the best pick....start to transfer pc2amiga util with crossdoss workbench functionality (pc disk mounting on an amiga- to avoid having troubles with high density floppies you would have to put a tape on the hd intendifier hole to make it look like a double density disk - then format usual 720k.). then buy a null modem parrallel cable and connect your amiga to your pc...you can then mount your whole pc on your amiga(including all drives available) with pc2amiga tool...greatest and cheapest solution..transfer rates are very satisfying and you don't have the troubles related to the serial port config under windows/dos!!
Old 31 March 2006, 01:56   #11
gizmomelb

scifi - as was mentioned in this similar thread - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=15844 - you can download the ADF terminal from http://adfsender.stoeggl.com/ and use it to send ADFs to an Amiga 500 with as little as 0.5MB of memory.

The author's FAQ details how to copy the initial file over to the Amiga using just a null modem cable and a copy of workbench. Instructions on how to do it are here:

http://adfsender.stoeggl.com/adfsend...l/methods.html

I'll have to DMS/ADF my 'you beaut' A500 ADF transfer boot disk and upload it to the zone for you. Once you've got the initial trasnfer program running on your Amiga, you just send this image as the first one to write to disk, then after that you can boot the disk and run a simple script to start the ADF transfer (all programs copied into RAM: so you only need 1 drive as well). It also has other utilities such as DiskMaster etc. on it.
Old 31 March 2006, 08:44   #12
scifi
Resurrected...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
scifi - as was mentioned in this similar thread - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=15844 - you can download the ADF terminal from http://adfsender.stoeggl.com/ and use it to send ADFs to an Amiga 500 with as little as 0.5MB of memory.

The author's FAQ details how to copy the initial file over to the Amiga using just a null modem cable and a copy of workbench. Instructions on how to do it are here:

http://adfsender.stoeggl.com/adfsend...l/methods.html

I'll have to DMS/ADF my 'you beaut' A500 ADF transfer boot disk and upload it to the zone for you. Once you've got the initial trasnfer program running on your Amiga, you just send this image as the first one to write to disk, then after that you can boot the disk and run a simple script to start the ADF transfer (all programs copied into RAM: so you only need 1 drive as well). It also has other utilities such as DiskMaster etc. on it.
Gizmomelb, please do so...! I'll revive the old spirit! This method seems to be ideal!
Many thanks to all of you guys for the useful tips. I think that I'll buy an Amiga1200 to bridge the gap between the 2 systems...
Old 31 March 2006, 10:19   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

get one with a HD, or get a HD for it, makes it a lot more easy to play and transfer games
Happy hunting
Old 09 April 2006, 06:24   #14
ronniet

I remember tinkering with Amiga Forever a few years ago and it allowed transfers from a PC to Amiga via serial (?) cable. As far as i remember; you had to tinker with some Amiga commands to get the transfer started then ran some software on the PC next thing i knew the two were talking and i could easily send disk files from PC to Amiga and then get the Amiga to put them on disk.

But it definitely didn't need any software on the Amiga side to get things started since that was my original problem, how to get files TO the Amiga when I couldn't write to an Amiga disk on the PC (thus, no CrossDos).