English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 December 2018, 12:59   #41
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Excellent, works great, UHC tools now work with my local (IPv6 only) aminet mirror via the proxy
Old 15 December 2018, 14:14   #42
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Excellent, works great, UHC tools now work with my local (IPv6 only) aminet mirror via the proxy
Great to hear and thanks for testing! I have pushed a new version of UHC Tools now with this version of aget.
Old 15 December 2018, 15:33   #43
kolla
Banned

Yay, I am also adjusting my amiga guide aminet frontend script to use UHC variables and search engine

I had this nutty idea of aget as a generic download «daemon», running in the background, with arexx port... hm
Old 15 December 2018, 17:43   #44
patrik

Quote:
Yay, I am also adjusting my amiga guide aminet frontend script to use UHC variables and search engine
Is this amiga guide frontend available for test somewhere?

Quote:
I had this nutty idea of aget as a generic download «daemon», running in the background, with arexx port... hm
Forgive me for my lack of greater arexx experience. How would the interface for such a port look? A simple example to illustrate how to use it would be great.

To keep asking further - what current problem(s) would be easier to solve/implement if this download daemon was available and what software would be able to make good use of it?

(edit):
Forgot to say that from a performance perspective, it would not be a big difference running it as a daemon as the aget executable is quite small (<13kB). Most of the UHC Tools shell commands are PURE and can be residented, however aget currently is not. This could be addressed if startup time still is a concern.

Last edited by patrik; 15 December 2018 at 17:55.
Old 20 December 2018, 22:45   #45
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Is this amiga guide frontend available for test somewhere?
I put it on gitlab.com this morning...

https://gitlab.com/kowoba/amiga-scripts

it is not "pure amiga" though, it uses rsh to linux system (all my Amiga systems has Raspberry Pi zeros attached as gateways/proxies etc).

Quote:
Forgive me for my lack of greater arexx experience. How would the interface for such a port look? A simple example to illustrate how to use it would be great.

To keep asking further - what current problem(s) would be easier to solve/implement if this download daemon was available and what software would be able to make good use of it?
An arexx port for aget could be used to ask it for the status of a download, progress etc. so one could make progress bars in DOpus etc.
Old 26 December 2018, 20:30   #46
patrik

Where can the aminet2guide command be found?
Old 01 April 2019, 17:52   #47
kolla
Banned

So we just changed from CET to CEST... and two questions pop up:
* sntp doesn't recognize CEST
* it wants TZONE to be UTC-2, but... surely it is UTC+2??
Old 01 April 2019, 22:40   #48
patrik

I based the TZONE env variable handling on the specification in the SetDST documentation.

For TZONE, + is west of UTC and - is east and you first specify your timezone name with offset followed by optional daylight saving zone name and offset.

For example, here in Sweden SetDST would now set TZONE to "CET-1CEST". CET is the timezone, -1 its offset (1h east) from UTC and CEST the name of the daylight saving zone. If no offset is specified for the daylight saving, it defaults to -1, so combined the total offset becomes -2 hours.

Before the shift this Saturday->Sunday, TZONE was just "CET-1" - no daylight saving zone.

Btw, sntp doesn't care about the names of the time zone or daylight saving zone name, it only cares about whether they are present or not and the offsets.
Old 02 April 2019, 18:32   #49
kolla
Banned

Ah, yes, I see. When used together with SetDST everything works just dandy. I had forgotten about SetDST and was attempting to set TZONE based on output from unix "date +%z". Thanks!