English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 04 March 2018, 01:53   #1
solidcore

ufo enemy unknown whdload non-aga, ECS?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has the whdload file to install the non-aga ufo enemy unknown, as I'd like to test this on my a600 with vampire but as there is no aga support I can't get the aga version to run.

The non-aga can boot off gotek but I have mouse cursor issues, and it's terribly slow loading.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to run the ECS version from workbench .

Thanks
Old 04 March 2018, 02:19   #2
idrougge

There is no WHDLoad install for the ECS version.

You can install the ECS version manually (without WHDload needed), but don't expect it to work reliably with the Vampire.
Old 04 March 2018, 02:25   #3
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
There is no WHDLoad install for the ECS version.

You can install the ECS version manually (without WHDload needed), but don't expect it to work reliably with the Vampire.
Well I had issues trying to get gotek to switch to floppy 002 while doing a hdinstall, i'll probably do it on winuae if it keeps playing up. But good to know the hdinstall may work, although yes perhaps it may have problems on the vampire, time will tell I guess, but first the a600 needs a new IDE and recap it looks like the pins on the ide got ate and fell off from corrosion from it's previous owner's care, damn.
Old 04 March 2018, 02:40   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

To work UFO ECS from HD remember that you have to make an assignment, see video:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 March 2018, 03:13   #5
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
To work UFO ECS from HD remember that you have to make an assignment, see video
Thank you I'll give all this a shot, hopefully it goes smooth.
Old 04 March 2018, 05:43   #6
voyager_1701e

I found exactly the same on my A500 with Vampire. It is the same running from DOS or WB - missing cursor.
If you disable the caches in the boot menu, the ECS UFO works properly (mouse cursor is good), but its impossibly slow. I gave up and went back to using the Steam version until Vampire has AGA.
Old 04 March 2018, 20:37   #7
idrougge

UFO ECS is also unreliable on my A600s with Furia and ACA630.
Old 06 March 2018, 00:20   #8
solidcore

Re-capped the amiga 600, replaced IDE header with a new on as old corroded and fell apart lol. and booted without vampire via gotek, mouse cursor appeared now - however it's terribly slow, hopefully when I receive new mount screws (as I lost one of the vampire screws during the re-cap session, not sure how , probably on the floor) tomorrow I should then re-mount the vampire try a HD install hopefully no more crashing/freezes of vampire since the re-cap was a success and I have a feeling the old leaky caps were causing issues regarding the vampire stability, unless it was the IDE since the pins were falling off by touch.. it was that corroded. In one session I crashed and lost Sys c: and other time I lost a program in C: called ram something or other and that had to be reinstalled.

Strangely enough my gotek killed my USB - can't even mount or see it in windows (diskpart etc) so I moved over to a usb-sd reader in the gotek - that works , so hopefully I can flip to 002, 003 etc doing a HDIntall otherwise I'll winuae it . I am hoping to experience the power of the vampire but with the ECS (non-aga) UFO to have somewhat a quick game.. we'll see.

I'll also probably re-cap the vampire power as it's apparently incorrect. SMD re-cap is my forte - I actually hate through hole anything, especially corroded eyelets that disappear on you, (I'm working out how to be a eyelet repair sales man as we speak lol) - If successful I will feel more comfortable recapping corroded amiga's - Luckily the IDE replacement went without a hitch and the amiga kept it's eyelets /traces in tacked, best out come phew.

Last edited by solidcore; 06 March 2018 at 00:25.
Old 06 March 2018, 16:14   #9
Seiya

edit.
i wrong topic

Last edited by Seiya; 07 March 2018 at 15:29.
Old 07 March 2018, 01:11   #10
idrougge

What are you trying to say with that video?
Old 07 March 2018, 15:28   #11
Seiya

Sorry, i don't well read the topic.
you speak about whdload version.
Old 12 March 2018, 02:34   #12
solidcore

Update :

Repaired eyelets ( easier than I thought) on the 1000uf positive side closest to the coil ( power
Supply input ).
Now that my a600 is a beauty again I Will continue to install ufo via disk 1 hdinstall tomorrow via gotek or via winuae.

Things are getting exciting!

The process of repairing an eyelet :

1. Purchase eyelets aka rivets ( note down your required: internal diameter / length / eyelet flat end Diameter) 2-3 quid 50pcs ( cheaper to buy 100-500 Hong Kong ) . Also purchase some nail / flat punches suited to your eyelets 2-3 quid for set of 3 of each , then purchase 0.3mm to 1.3mm drill bits with archimedes drill for 4 quid on eBay . In all it came to over 10 pounds .

2. Drill old through hole to fit eyelet using 0.8-1mm drill bits depending on the hole size and eyelet internal barrel diameter .

3. Place eyelet inside flat end underside of pcb . Put something under it to keep it in and to take the force while you with a rubber hammer softly tap your nail punch into the rivet until it's flared out and then lastly flatten it with flat punch until flush.

4. Scrape soldermask off trace gently and apply flux and solder trace to eyelet . Both sides.

5. Check for continuity , if so Solder capacitor as usual

Last edited by solidcore; 12 March 2018 at 02:45.
Old 12 March 2018, 02:46   #13
AmigaBoy

Wepl has created a WHDLoad install for the OCS version of UFO. Download "ufo.lha" from http://mantis.whdload.de/view.php?id=2028

I assume it hasn't been released officially since it needs testing, which I'm guessing no-one wants to do.

Perhaps try it out, solidcore? If there's no problems, it could be another install to make it to the official WHDLoad install list
Old 12 March 2018, 02:57   #14
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBoy View Post
Wepl has created a WHDLoad install for the OCS version of UFO. Download "ufo.lha" from http://mantis.whdload.de/view.php?id=2028

I assume it hasn't been released officially since it needs testing, which I'm guessing no-one wants to do.

Perhaps try it out, solidcore? If there's no problems, it could be another install to make it to the official WHDLoad install list
Oh sweet ! I will indeed try this version that's absolutely fantastic mate . Very well pleased you sent me that! Fingers crossed mate . Thank you sir!
Old 12 March 2018, 12:37   #15
Seiya

Good News. i will test very soon.
Old 12 March 2018, 13:01   #16
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
Good News. i will test very soon.
Great I'm installing it right now, will report back with results.

Edit: mouse cursor is present, faster , need to attach my kb...

Game runs much faster, however ugly colors, guess that's what you expect from non-AGA... the lack of walk animations and some glitches (ufo target yellow/red) make me wonder if this was a quickly stripped down build or something.

Last edited by solidcore; 12 March 2018 at 13:43.
Old 12 March 2018, 13:40   #17
Seiya

installed and works very well.
Old 12 March 2018, 14:02   #18
solidcore

Seiya yah, apart from the content is low quality compared to AGA it's not too bad.
Old 12 March 2018, 14:14   #19
Seiya

OCS/ECS version is more similar to PC version because during the suface mission you listen to the same music.
Now i don't know if this version is direct conversion from CD32 version or is the contrary.
Old 12 March 2018, 14:42   #20
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
OCS/ECS version is more similar to PC version because during the suface mission you listen to the same music.
Now i don't know if this version is direct conversion from CD32 version or is the contrary.
graphics are worse than PC version though, so I can't decide hehe.