English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 09 July 2018, 09:15   #21
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
You can try Crunch-Mania LZ-H and if I'm not mistaken also RNC Propack have a LZH variant.
But sure Arj m7 is much more effective (depack speed like ZIP Deflate).
In addition Crunch-Mania has a sample mode so this can be tested directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
Your numbers do not sound(!) right. IIRC you typically see 40-50% reduction in size.
As said, LZ isn't efficient on samples. Furthermore, some samples will be very hard to compress because they contain high frequencies (relative to their replay freq).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOLMAN_MWS View Post
Even the fastest of these will be too slow for 68000 usage.
Old 09 July 2018, 13:26   #22
phx
Natteravn

Coming back to Mr.Huffman on Deltas, followed by an LZ-compression. That seems to be the best approach.

The Huffman algorithm is straight-forward, but as I understand you have to save a table of bit-patterns in the output file, which were used to encode every byte. This requires some additional space, so the gain on small samples will be limited, right?

I'm currently thinking about the optimal format for such a Huffman encoded file...
Old 09 July 2018, 13:57   #23
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Coming back to Mr.Huffman on Deltas, followed by an LZ-compression. That seems to be the best approach.
No, this is not the best approach.

Much better what usually do LZH's family compressors: in addition to the 256 symbols, add LZ tokens reference in the huffman tree.
If you want you could chop into blocks and regenerate (all or in part) the htree to optimize output code but this 'split point' is compression art per se.

-
EDIT, to try to give a quick explanation: compressing a file is a form of redundancy reduction.
Two possible methods are: use statistic to better encode the symbols (huffman) or use a better encode for the dictionary (pardon the over-semplified lz specification..).
Obviusly if used together they influence each other retroactively. But what has more impact, since it transforms symbols into a variable number of 2^n bits, is huffman and as LZ requires groups of repeated bytes to work, if applied later, it finds a destroyed and completely unusable context.
Therefore all the compressors that also uses an entropic pass (huffman, arithmetric/range, ANS) should use it last, perhaps inserting among statistical data also those obtained from LZ tokens, giving them significant weight compared to normal symbols.
-

But instead of complicating your life much better use an already available algorithm, also because subject would become very complex..
LHA, ZIP, ARj, LZX.. all are of the LZH family.

Quote:
The Huffman algorithm is straight-forward, but as I understand you have to save a table of bit-patterns in the output file, which were used to encode every byte. This requires some additional space, so the gain on small samples will be limited, right?

I'm currently thinking about the optimal format for such a Huffman encoded file...
Yes, straight-forward but not trivial implement it in a fast manner
And yes, you need extra space for the tree in output file (search Canonical Huffman for optimal code).

Last edited by ross; 09 July 2018 at 18:34.
Old 09 July 2018, 14:00   #24
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
In theory this is all done together so that sequence (= repeat area command) is Huffman encoded as well.

Quote:
Right. For this reason it may be interesting to merge several small files together.

Quote:
That's a tricky task. LZX seems to be state of the art in regard to this, but probably too complex.
Old 09 July 2018, 15:03   #25
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
That's a tricky task. LZX seems to be state of the art in regard to this, but probably too complex.
Yes, LZX is very well constructed (and can be considered the progenitor of the modern LZH family compressors).
A great enhancemed was the previous match concept (a fast selection for a queue of 3 matches already encountered).
This is extended in LZMA, with other great improvements (moreover entropy encoding with arithmetic/range coding, not huffman).
This concept is also used in aplib and many others (ex. our Blueberry's Shrinkler , but this is a CM compressor so another planet..).

Unfortunately here we enter the world of NP-hardness problems, so a perfect solution is not computable in usable times.

But some optimal solutions exist .
Old 17 July 2018, 08:20   #26
SKOLMAN_MWS

Quote:
Even the fastest of these will be too slow for 68000 usage.
We do not know how works TTA 2.0 at 68000, because there is no port.
Attached Files
File Type: rar tta20.rar (15.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 17 July 2018, 08:51   #27
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOLMAN_MWS View Post
We do not know how works TTA 2.0 at 68000, because there is no port.
We don't need a port to know. Merely looking at the compression methods shows it's far out of reach.
It would be really naive to think IIR (Infinite Impulse Response model) is doable in small enough time for 68000. This kind of computation needs many multiplies even for a single sample (check the formulas on the TTA website).
Then come Rice codes, which are enough to take 100% cpu time and more.
Old 17 July 2018, 09:39   #28
SKOLMAN_MWS

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 17 July 2018, 11:09   #29
meynaf
son of 68k

Do you think it will magically solve the lack of power for the 68000 ?
50Mhz 68030 is much faster than this, and is barely able to do Flac which is simpler than TTA (because IIR is tougher than LPC).

Anyway this is not at all the OP's target.
Old 17 July 2018, 11:17   #30
SKOLMAN_MWS

But you probably think about playing 16bit 44k music files, and I did not write anything like that. It's about compressing 8bit samples.
Old 17 July 2018, 11:21   #31
meynaf
son of 68k

You will see little or no speed change going from 16 to 8 bits. Ok, you can get it 4 times faster going to 10khz samples, but 68000 is still out of league.

And again this is not the OP's target.
Old 17 July 2018, 12:51   #32
phx
Natteravn

I have to say that I didn't make any further experiments with Huffman encoding for now. I have still about 40K left on the disk and will probably only need some more samples for the menu. Also Meynaf's hint that I have to merge serveral small sample file to get the best compresion ratio out of Huffman is a problem for me, as I have multiple small samples (usuall 6-10K) which must be loaded in various arrangements for every game world.
Old 17 July 2018, 14:34   #33
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Methods such as ADPCM are good for real time, but worthless if you decrunch only while loading.
Depends on the resulting sound quality, space saving and speed.
Old 14 October 2018, 05:09   #34
NorthWay

How did the compression work out for you?

I just looked at a few of my MODs and saw that SQSH reduced the size by 35-40%, though I don't know how much comes from non-sample data.